The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

W

wbrandsma

You are really serious about this, Cam! The RD-1 looks like a awesome camera. I wouldn't mind the 6mp. I was just wondering what focal length you would prefer. You are using two 28mm's right now. Unless you are happy with 42mm, you will have to work with external viewfinders.

ampguy

The 28 frame selector matches actual 28mm lenses, and behaves much like a 28mm on a FF film camera, just cropped a bit. same with the 35mm and 50mm frame selectors on the RD1.

There are no framelines for 75, 90, or 135 on the RD1, but 75 works well with the 50 setting, just a bit tighter. I haven't tried 90 or higher but would imagine it would be more difficult and require some trial/error testing.

An interesting thing about the RD1 is you only have one set of framelines up at a time, unlike a film Leica M body where you have pairs. Also the VF/RF is parallax adjusted.

You are really serious about this, Cam! The RD-1 looks like a awesome camera. I wouldn't mind the 6mp. I was just wondering what focal length you would prefer. You are using two 28mm's right now. Unless you are happy with 42mm, you will have to work with external viewfinders.

cam

I use it on a Mac with CS3 and Lightroom never a problem.

I use 2 Gig cards and a card reader for transfers.

Here are two of my low lights one with the 35/1.2 and other with the 15/4.5

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5911873

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6115392

And all you'll ever want to know about keeping an R-D1 in good order.
thank you, John. i saw that the Epson Raw was merely a plug-in and wanted to make sure all was copasetic. and i read somewhere that the cards had to be formatted in Windows FAT so i started getting nervous... appreciate the link to the RF forum. i found it on my own and have been absorbing it like mad. (hopefully, i'll retain most of it :rolleyes: for some reason, camera stores like butchers here are all closed on Mondays!)

I want one too
I used to have one, here is the proof:
First Set of R-D1 pictures

Second set of R-D1 pictures

There are more, but I can't find them right now!

I sold mine just after getting the M8 (for a healthy profit I might say), but I've regretted it ever since. I've found a secondhand one over here, but it's really more than I'd like to pay - seen 'em on the net, but they're very expensive.

What a delicious thing though - all those dials - mmmmm
delicious! what more could one want in a camera???

high praise, indeed, that many of you have kept (or wish you had) the RD-1 after moving on to the M8. your photos are smacking -- i'm guessing all Leica lenses?

There is a DIY thread over on RFF, but I had DAG do my alignment fix which was very reasonable.

I have quite a lot of photos of low light situations, any preferred lens choice? I've mainly used a cron 35/2 asph with mine, but also most of the CV lenses, and a Summilux 75/1.4 (no framelines!) with great success. Currently for lower light than f2, I use a 50/1.5 CV Nokton, but the 35/2 asph is still my main lens with this camera.
thank you! i did that thread over in the RFF forum (and you too). i have no lenses and would have to start with an inexpensive one the store has for €90 unless it looks to be a total dog. i have a feeling i will be trolling the used camera stores here and on my holiday in the states, and hopefully be able to find some deals. CV most likely, though i'm a little fascinated with the Canon 28/2.8 Sean borrowed from Ben Lifson. Leica will never be in my budget :cry:

cam

actually, the more i look, the more i am. (i'm do things a little @ss backwards, but what else is new? :p i love love love 28mm, but actually am looking at this for something different. when i was at the store, i dropped my purse, left one of the cameras on the counter, and ran out of the store with another. i came back in to get a lecture about how unsafe that was. speech was stopped when i pointed to what i had seen. a one in a thousand, wizened old sailor type drinking Stella at happy hour. the owner of the store quickly ran out and managed to get what i hadn't -- with an R8 of all things!

i know i have high resolution cams and can always crop, but i hate to do anything more than a little tidying (and very rarely that). i'm really into expanding, both my fundamental education and the things my eye sees. i am quite comfortable with the 28mm view and will never give it up. but also, i'm ready to dare myself further.

jonoslack

thank you! i did that thread over in the RFF forum (and you too). i have no lenses and would have to start with an inexpensive one the store has for €90 unless it looks to be a total dog. i have a feeling i will be trolling the used camera stores here and on my holiday in the states, and hopefully be able to find some deals. CV most likely, though i'm a little fascinated with the Canon 28/2.8 Sean borrowed from Ben Lifson. Leica will never be in my budget :cry:
I think mine were mostly taken with the Lieca 50 'cron and 90 elmarit (not grand lenses).
But there are plenty of excellent CV lenses for very reasonable prices, I used the cv 28mm f1.9 a lot - excellent lens on the R-D1

You go for it!

Terry

Cam -
How long are you in NY for? I have some of the CV lenses if you want to play for a bit.
I currently have the 12, 21, 28 f3.5, 35 f2.5, and 75 f2.5. The 35 f2.5 is a FANTASTIC lense and is only $210 new. The 35mm is lens is absolutely tiny probably smaller than the DP1 extended.

cam

You go for it!
i think i am! :p

that is, if i could figure how to focus the darn thing :ROTFL: i was seriously so busy twiddling with this and that, that i never properly got the focus right.... completely embarrassed to ask this, but what the hey is that white square supposed to do? i made it solid, i made it disappear, i twinned it, i made it do all sorts of juggling acts... just never figured out what meant you had it in focus :eek:

Cam -
How long are you in NY for? I have some of the CV lenses if you want to play for a bit.
I currently have the 12, 21, 28 f3.5, 35 f2.5, and 75 f2.5. The 35 f2.5 is a FANTASTIC lense and is only $210 new. The 35mm is lens is absolutely tiny probably smaller than the DP1 extended.
we get in the 6th and leave the 10th. staying near Ground Zero (uncomfortable for me but the price was right)... our first stop will be to B&H or the like to get my boy his Oly. i'm treating him to the better lens, which means i won't be able to afford one for myself...

you are sweet to offer the use of lenses, but i am so new to this it may be wasted (see above). or perhaps i'll bond immediately??? i am hoping that the lens the store has for sale (€90) is the CV 35/2.5 but i'm not positive. it *is* a tiny one. i think whoever owned it first did not really skimp. it comes bundled with a wee flash in red box and the Epson leather case. my biggest concern will probably be getting extra batteries...

Correct liink to Rick Culter's R-D1 pages including do it your self rangefinder adjustment.
thank you, John. i'd found that as well. i realised i could get one of my boys to do it. not that i'm afraid of going in and doing the dirty work (many years of doing that with audio equipment and computers) -- i just don't have the hand coordination at this point.

in fact, i think the whole hand/arm issue is partially what's really drawing me. for now, i'm having difficulty executing the hip shots i like (still major decapitating and listing). when i raise my eye to really look, i find myself seeing bits of things and parts of people that fascinate me. i want to start shooting those images.

the thing that cracks me up, though, is when people talk about how quiet this camera. my god! it clacks like a goose! i shutter to think what i'd feel about a noisy camera :eek:

Last edited:

cam

thank you, LCT! i went to Photo Suffren on the way back, btw. i was a little bit of a drowned rat. they did not speak english and were kind of rude about it. this was definitely a sex (i'm female) thing as well :mad: it made me angry because i'm not fluent enough to call him on it.

the camera i was looking at was in absolutely mint condition. plus, i'd have the back-up of my store.... my bad, he would have held it for me but i really wasn't sure i could spend that kind of money.

i'm speaking with the guy who has one up on Lightstalkers (posting marker in the RF forum). he wants to sell it bundled with a Leica 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH. as he's also including a VF, does this mean i can't focus in the camera? this would make the R-D1 close to 28mm, a view i'm very familiar with... anyways, i'm third or fourth on the list of interested parties...

LCT

Sorry for Photo Suffren but i haven't got any problem with them so far.
There are no 21mm frame lines in the 1:1 viewfinder of the R-D1 so you might wish to use an external viewfinder.
I don't use one personally as i shoot both eyes open so that guessing the 21mm FoV is not difficult at all but it is a matter of habit of course.

jonoslack

thank you, LCT! i went to Photo Suffren on the way back, btw. i was a little bit of a drowned rat. they did not speak english and were kind of rude about it. this was definitely a sex (i'm female) thing as well :mad: it made me angry because i'm not fluent enough to call him on it.

the camera i was looking at was in absolutely mint condition. plus, i'd have the back-up of my store.... my bad, he would have held it for me but i really wasn't sure i could spend that kind of money.

i'm speaking with the guy who has one up on Lightstalkers (posting marker in the RF forum). he wants to sell it bundled with a Leica 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH. as he's also including a VF, does this mean i can't focus in the camera? this would make the R-D1 close to 28mm, a view i'm very familiar with... anyways, i'm third or fourth on the list of interested parties...
I'm sorry to hear about that cam - how much did they want for it (if it isn't a rude question).

As for the bundle with the 21mm elmarit - well, you can always sell that afterwards if you don't want it.

External viewfinders are fine, but IMHO the main point of a rangefinder is erm the rangefinder!

I know you're used to 28mm FOV, I think you might find that the R-D1 was rather 'long' if you know what I mean. It always seemed to me to be a wonderful camera for equivalent focal lengths from 44mm upward (i.e. the 28mm framelines). You can put on a 25mm on and reckon it's the whole viewfinder - that'll be about 37mm.

On the other hand it's wonderful for portraits with a 50mm becoming 75mm etc.

Maybe none of this is really wide enough for you?

Perhaps you had a lucky escape?

cam

I'm sorry to hear about that cam - how much did they want for it (if it isn't a rude question).

As for the bundle with the 21mm elmarit - well, you can always sell that afterwards if you don't want it.

External viewfinders are fine, but IMHO the main point of a rangefinder is erm the rangefinder!

I know you're used to 28mm FOV, I think you might find that the R-D1 was rather 'long' if you know what I mean. It always seemed to me to be a wonderful camera for equivalent focal lengths from 44mm upward (i.e. the 28mm framelines). You can put on a 25mm on and reckon it's the whole viewfinder - that'll be about 37mm.

On the other hand it's wonderful for portraits with a 50mm becoming 75mm etc.

Maybe none of this is really wide enough for you?

Perhaps you had a lucky escape?
$1400 for the camera. $1200 for the lens. whole bundle w/VF, etc. $2600. i spoke with him and told him honestly that i wasn't sure about the lens. (he bought this used in good condition but it just wasn't his bag. he used Leica film cameras but has grown addicted to his 5D. he only shot about 100 pics on it.) i love wide, but i have wide X3. this may be something i want later on, but not as my first lens. i want to use to use the RF as an RF.

so you see, i was serious about wanting to grow. i could probably shoot the 21mm blindly, but what's the fun in that? i'll probably be wanting a 28mm and a 50mm, even though everyone recommends the CV 35/2.8... this is such a different style of shooting than how i use my silent compacts, that i need the shorter distance. (this isn't something you can shove in somebody's face, exactly.)

i want to know what i've got before i make major decisions on the lenses. i love the delicacy of the Leicas, but there's something sweet about the Canons. and then there's the Zeiss and Hexar to consider. (biggest lust that i can't afford is probably the Summilux 35/1.4)

i want this camera!!!

in the meanwhile, my emotions got the better of me and i shot like a madwoman, probably better than i have in a few months. i just didn't give a **** and it showed.

i must say that the GRDII makes a delicious weapon :D

jonoslack

$1400 for the camera. $1200 for the lens. whole bundle w/VF, etc. $2600. i spoke with him and told him honestly that i wasn't sure about the lens. (he bought this used in good condition but it just wasn't his bag. he used Leica film cameras but has grown addicted to his 5D. he only shot about 100 pics on it.) i love wide, but i have wide X3. this may be something i want later on, but not as my first lens. i want to use to use the RF as an RF.

so you see, i was serious about wanting to grow. i could probably shoot the 21mm blindly, but what's the fun in that? i'll probably be wanting a 28mm and a 50mm, even though everyone recommends the CV 35/2.8... this is such a different style of shooting than how i use my silent compacts, that i need the shorter distance. (this isn't something you can shove in somebody's face, exactly.)

i want to know what i've got before i make major decisions on the lenses. i love the delicacy of the Leicas, but there's something sweet about the Canons. and then there's the Zeiss and Hexar to consider. (biggest lust that i can't afford is probably the Summilux 35/1.4)

i want this camera!!!

in the meanwhile, my emotions got the better of me and i shot like a madwoman, probably better than i have in a few months. i just didn't give a **** and it showed.

i must say that the GRDII makes a delicious weapon :D
I sold a 21mm pre-ashp in excellent condition for £750 last year, the prices seem to be okay assuming that it's all in mint condition. You really should be able to do well with the lens, either here or on ebay.

I agree about the lenses though, 35mm on the R-d1 is a so-so lens (IMHO). I'd go for a 28 and a 50, and you ought to be able to manage that quite easily (might even manage it with a swap here) . . . . . . erm . . . come to think of it, I might be interested I have a 28mm CV ultron and an almost unused silver 50mm 'cron knocking about here. If the 21 is in good condition we might be able to come to some sort of accommodation!

helenhill

Cam

Charley is right ....That store in japan is quite Reputable
'Ampguy' has bought his rd1/rd1s from them
and said the delivery is only 3-4 days tp the States, so I;m sure Gay Paris is even quicker
Best- Helen :)

jonoslack

Cam

Charley is right ....That store in japan is quite Reputable
'Ampguy' has bought his rd1/rd1s from them
and said the delivery is only 3-4 days tp the States, so I;m sure Gay Paris is even quicker
Best- Helen :)
You know it makes sense (even I was tempted!)
:clap::clap::clap:

cam

you are all evil!!! but thank you :D

if i do that, Helen. dearest. you would have to be my recipient as i leave Tuesday morning and i'm not sure i (or they) would want (them) to ship it to a dodgy hotel...

and what lens to go with initially? old faithful they have bundled with it or go with one of the Hexanons? or would i be better off (cheaper) getting a lens in NYC?

i wish i could have done the New York leg at the end so i could have taken advantage of Terry's generous offer to play with lenses. as it is, i'm already planning on a stop at the camera store in Carmel (featured in the workshop pics) to see what used goodies they may have. after a week in Sonoma, i should have the hang of it....

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! let me wait and see until i hear from the guy whether it's sold or not.

and you do know, Helen and Mr Extraordinary, if i get one you guys are going to get sucked in too :ROTFL: maybe we should just see if we can get a group discount and be done with it???

Terry

cam -
You can ship to me as well. We could also work it out to take the 35mm lens to California and ship it back at the end of your trip. This gives you about 50mm coverage a nice compliment to the 28 on the DP1.