Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

wbrandsma

Re: is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

, you leak information Enjoy your cam Cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    , you leak information Enjoy your cam Cam
    you're killing me, Wouter!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, if you're at all like me, you will come to love the focusing tab on the CV lenses. Especially if you zone focus at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Cam, if you're at all like me, you will come to love the focusing tab on the CV lenses. Especially if you zone focus at all.
    you're right -- for zone focusing they're absolutely brill! it's in the regular focusing that drives me nuts. the Epson patch is more finicky and difficult to see than the M8 and that tab just makes it more frustrating... for zone, though, i imagine it's king of the hill.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    you're right -- for zone focusing they're absolutely brill! it's in the regular focusing that drives me nuts. the Epson patch is more finicky and difficult to see than the M8 and that tab just makes it more frustrating... for zone, though, i imagine it's king of the hill.
    Now, I would think that having a firm little knob to grip would make finicky focusing easier. Just give it time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, I would think that having a firm little knob to grip would make it easier.
    Doesn't that make EVERYTHING easier?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Doesn't that make EVERYTHING easier?
    I don't know about easier, but I've heard that a little knob makes some people buy a BMW M5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know about easier, but I've heard that a little knob makes some people buy a BMW M5.
    Ahhhh! That would explain why I don't have one of those!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a brief note as i've only sporadic internet... i'm afraid i've become a Lux Lassie. found an older 50mm at Camera West and was doomed. the glow is unmistakable and my boyfriend is jealous beyond reason and even talking about getting getting himself an M8!

other lenses: the CV's are gorgeous (though the 28mm Terry loaned me vignettes like mad in the sun), but the specialness of the R-D1 really comes out with the older lenses. the new Zeiss i tried was difficult to focus and seemed somewhat harsh. (the Noctilux may be the only newer lens that enthralled me.)

i was able to find a service center here in L.A. that was able to clean my sensor and you now can't pry the camera and lens out of my hands. it doesn't replace the GRDII at all, but is adding a completely new dimension to my photography and i'm using the time to here to really master it.

on the way down south, i've had some great chances to play with it and can't wait ti put some of the stuff i've done with it. as a low light portrait lens, it is beyond compare, but i've even gotten some really dreamy street stuff.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

(but, no, Helen, it doesn't replace the M8. it just makes you yearn for one -- even though no one is ever going to pry this camera away from me. nothing handles as beautifully as this...)

found a wonderful Lux 35 yesterday, dolled up for easy street action. problem being that it cost more than initially thought and didn't seem to have the glow. i know now i need to touch and see a lens before buying... sigh.

i am doomed. but so so in love ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what a day for a daydream

street shot with 50 Lux, JPEG from camera. no PP except resize...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

light it again, ned

portrait, no pp. JPEG out of camera. (i'm shooting RAW but having problems w/software). bar shots later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Cam
    WOW .....Progress
    Looks Fantastique
    So Beautiful /your Subjects & Tones
    The second shot reminds me more of a European Feel than out West or down South

Best, H

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam this is a whole new you!!!! I like them both but will say the first is just fabulous!!!!

I was wondering when you were going to post! The computer geek is traveling without connectivity or processing power. What a great laugh!!!!!

Sorry the 28 turned out not so well for you. But it sounds like you had a fine time at Sean's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Helen! that dapper fellow has indeed been to Paris and has oodles of class. i took quite a few pics of him and still have yet to decide which i actually like best -- i may have to do a strip. his face spoke volumes!

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Cam this is a whole new you!!!! I like them both but will say the first is just fabulous!!!!

I was wondering when you were going to post! The computer geek is traveling without connectivity or processing power. What a great laugh!!!!!

Sorry the 28 turned out not so well for you. But it sounds like you had a fine time at Sean's.
    Terry, LOL! i know my photography isn't your cup of tea normally, so i'm quite pleased you like these. the camera does indeed bring out another side and i'm enjoying exploring it all.

i won't stop using my GRDII and doing that sort of photography, but i love that i now have a camera to branch out with. they each have their strengths and they each allow me to express a different side of myself. how lucky i am to have both these gems!!!

as for the 28mm, i'm afraid the fault was mostly mine. harsh, harsh sunlight with no shade on it. the colours were absolutely lovely (dare i say, better than the Oly or the DP1?) and it was quite sharp. both the lens were actually terrific. and you did me the most marvelous favour of all by allowing me to get used to my camera and figure out what focal length and look i was after.

but, as i said initially, i couldn't get over the focusing tab on either lens. i just hate them, end of story. similarly, i wasn't happy with the doohicky on the 35 Cron i tried at Sean's. (the Sonnar was quite wonderful in that way -- it just didn't want to play nice with my R-D1 -- possibly because it was brand spanking new.) i'm a very tactile person and the feel is as important as the look for me... my Lux is scalloped and just feels right. it's also quite old (60's or 70's Germany) and it just draws the images so beautifully..

in fact, i'm thinking the indecision i have about the 35 Lux i'm looking at is that it may be TOO new (1983). the bokeh isn't as pronounced nor is the glow. whoever had it (an M6 owner) affixed an extra pieces to make focusing and changing aperture a tactile dream (even if it looks slightly goofy).

there's supposedly a camera store in San Diego (where we're heading) that has old lens so i need to suss it out and hope they may have my Cinderella Slipper. (Steve's Camera told me about it, but i've yet to find the name.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Cam
    Lovely photos! - I'm so glad you're enjoying it - it's a joy to behold and touch isn't it. (I still miss mine).

That guy makes me want a smoke!

Was it the Zeiss 50 sonnar you didn't like? I use mine a lot, but it can be a little brutal (lovely and dreamy at f1.5 though).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Cam
    Lovely photos! - I'm so glad you're enjoying it - it's a joy to behold and touch isn't it. (I still miss mine).

That guy makes me want a smoke!

Was it the Zeiss 50 sonnar you didn't like? I use mine a lot, but it can be a little brutal (lovely and dreamy at f1.5 though).
    thank you, Jono! and, yeah, it was the 50 Sonnar (because of you) that i had to try before i pulled out the CC for the Lux. it was pretty brutal and just didn't sit right with the Epson, IMO. the Noctilux, however, was luscious!!! not that i tried it at anything other than wide open even the Cron seemed too harsh... it just mated with my old Lux like it was made for it. dreamy and glowy but beautifully sharp. it may have to do with the contrast on the newer lenses which makes it harder to pull the detail in the shadows on the R-D1.

you want more smoke??? (i swear i love all the shots i took of him! again, no PP... and keep in mind, this was my first day with the lens.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam,
    I love all of your shots with the RD-1. You made a wonderful choice with the 50 pre-ASPH. I have one and it is my favorite lens. I'm looking forward to more from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Cindy! (i really am using major self control and not putting up the picture of a cockatoo with great bokeh )

do any of your 35's come close to the magic? as much as i love the 50, i will be needing a more carry-around lens. i'm just so loathe to give up the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

The lenses i use to match my (late) pre-asph Summilux 50/1.4 are a (late) pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4, the Summicron-M 35/2 IV and the Summicron-C 40/2.
    To get an 'older' look, i would try an earlier Summilux 35 but flare can be a serious problem then. A Summaron 35/2.8 could be a good idea as well. Or perhaps an earlier Summicron 35/2 but i have no experience of same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, LCT!

my 50 Lux is old #1927XXX. chrome, Leitz Wetzlar, made in Germany and the 35 Lux i've been looking at is #3253XXX, black, with only Leitz on the lens, Made in Canada on the side (the flare seems quite contained compared to the 50). they seem to be from different production runs, but i'm too much of a newbee to know the difference. is that serial number for the 35 a pre-asph or just a late third version?

i want some of the glow but i'll also be using this more on the street, so maybe newer is better? i'm also pretty sure i want the 1.4 because France is dark so much of the year and i really like to shoot in adverse lighting conditions as well as bars, etc. (the CV 1.2 actually looks pretty cool, but it's definitely too heavy to use as an everyday carry-around.) f2 is a maybe if i'm convinced the Cron is that much better.... and all this may be moot when i look at my credit card statement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    ...the 35 Lux i've been looking at is #3253XXX, black, with only Leitz on the lens, Made in Canada on the side...
    This 35/1.4 pre-asph is similar to mine (code number 11870).
    It won't show the same 'glow' as an earlier version but it handles flare better and it stays quite smooth at full aperture (pic below).
    Matches well my late 50/1.4 pre-asph but the latter is sharper at f/1.4.
    Makes me feel that this 35 should make a fine combo with your 50/1.4 but it is just a guess as i have not used an early 'lux 50 like yours for 10 years at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam,
    I have the Summicron V4. It is not as dreamy as the pre-lux 50, but has a nice bokeh. I have avoided the 35 lux on the M8 because of the focus shift problems that many have had. I might try the CV 35 f/1.2 at some time (but it is BIG, so I would keep my cron.) It sounds like the 35 lux that you have your eye on might be just the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Cindy. a v. 1V Cron is almost impossible to come by these days and, to be honest, cost (almost) as much as Lux. i love the extra stop but am still not convinced on the bokeh...

LCT, as always your input is appreciated as i think you have or have tried every lens on the planet!

i may try a 2nd version with the infinity lock (available on ebay -- but in the city where i currently am) to see if i get my glow w/out flare. doubtful, i guess. it sounds like it may be an either/or proposition....

okay, question to all. this is a pic of the tricked-out lens i'm looking at (it came in to the store on a mint M6). two more questions:

1) does it look ridiculous???

2) how difficult is it to add on these silly pieces (since i disliked the grasp on the Cron)?

since the Lux is so little, the paddle really makes it a joy to use. but it may be a little too dorky looking... i've yet to get my hands on a regular 35 Lux and can't compare. i'm also scared these extras might make it easier to inadvertently knock settings...

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha! Yes it may look ridiculous to some connoisseurs but less so than tourists chimping with their digicams IMHO. Anyway who cares if it works? At least you won't have the focus tab you seem to dislike. Below a regular model to compare:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so it does look completely ridiculous when viewing from the other side... sigh.

you made me shudder, LCT, with your description, though looking like a stupid tourist in Paris is not all that bad. people tend to ignore you, but still... and resale value would suffer if i decided it was not my cup of tea... i liked the lens a lot, but did not absolutely LOVE it like i do my older 50. i will play with it some more and see if i can make an appointment with the guy on ebay who's selling the second version and look at that as well. or just wait until i get back to Paris and troll the used shops and hope i find a gem there.

thank you, again, for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam,
    You might want to keep your eye on Rangefinderforum.com. There are some gems that pop up for sale there. Right now there is a 35 summilux for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Cam,
    You might want to keep your eye on Rangefinderforum.com. There are some gems that pop up for sale there. Right now there is a 35 summilux for sale.
    thank you! i saw it and read the thread where he was deciding to sell (he kept the one w/infinity lock). there's also a mint Summicron IV w/hood, box, cap, etc., but i'm wondering why no one's bitten...
    Last edited by cam; 26th May 2008 at 10:04. Reason: eta

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I saw a cron V2 and the summilux there, but I did not see a version IV. Sometimes they are sold and just don't get marked off. You might inquire if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you for putting up with me, Cindy. i know other people go through it as well, but i feel not unlike a dog chasing after its tail

when back and revisited several images from various lens i tested since i really am, finally, comfortable with the camera. came to a few conclusions...

i was far more impressed with the CV lenses than i was at first. still not for me because i can't get over the focusing sticks.

the Noctilux will remain something i will dream about -- even though i know i'll never be able to afford it.

i think i was too harsh on the way the Cron focuses because the images are pretty stunning (i tried a third version).

the 50 Sonnar does indeed have a dreamy bokeh, probably somewhere between a Noctilux and my Lux. and quite sharp stopped down (though the Cron won overall, but it may just be the off-focusing of the lens i tried). it makes me wonder if the Zeiss 35 is anywhere close, even though it only is an f2.

the late pre-asph 35 i was testing is indeed quite sharp. i need to try it yet again as most of the images were a bit too contrasty for my taste, but it may be me as i tend to shoot difficult light. (and i do love contrast -- i just hate to be stuck with it. perhaps i'm not, still need to figure out how forgiving the RAW files are. and part of it may be me, still uneducated in so many important fundamentals.)

finally, that elusive glow coupled with the sharpness may be something that only the 50 Lux has...

i'll be away from the camera (which has practically slept with me for two weeks) for a few days as i tackle reality for the next few days. clear my head a bit and the like. now if only i could stop dreaming about lens. i am obsessed indeed.

time to step back and let my tail heal.

Natasa Stojsic

Can anybody help me with the contact/telephone of Toshi/else at Matsuiya store Japan...

I know about ebay.. but I need to speak to human this time

Thanks