The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

Irenaeus

Cam —

I'd be happy to share a few 40/2 photos with you. It's early days yet for me with the RD1, though, so I have no tripod mounted, controlled test images. The handheld ones that might be interesting to you are of recognizable people. I don't feel free to post them, therefore, and was not able to attach them a PM for you. If you'd like to send me a PM with an e-mail address, I'll send them on; if not, that's okay, too.

Waiting is hard, isn't it?

Irenaeus

jonoslack

Mr E., who knew you were such a poet? you've got me madly in love* with the sonnar now... sigh. is yours an older one or the newer one that's been focused to 1.5?
Sorry - slow off the mark here.
It's a modern one f1.5 (and not that expensive either). I love it, and on the Epson it'll make a nice portrait lens.

Generally speaking i agree with LCT about the lenses; get a 21, 28, 50, and I wouldn't worry too much about them being leica. I think I might get the CV 21, not sure which 28 (didn't like the ultron . . . wanna buy mine cheap?) and the 50 sonnar.

Maggie O

You could make a world-class kit of Voigtländer Color-Skopar lenses: 21/4, 28/3.5, 50/2.5, all for the price of a single Leica lens.

I love the look of my two Ultrons (28/1.9 and 35/1.7) and my only niggle is the 28's relatively large size.

LCT

Sure no need to spend little fortunes to get good results with the R-D1.
Here's a great affordable combo with a CV 21/4 P (a good anti-vignette software is mandatory, like Silkypix), a M-Rokkor 28/2.8 (beware of white spots on the glass if any) and a vintage Summicron-M 50/2 from the seventies.
Pics 2 & 3 are from the Summicron, 4 & 5 from the Rokkor, with the R-D1 of course.

cam

thank you all for the feedback! i am still fairly delirious from jet-lag (24+ hours being awake) so have no coherent thoughts... will have to chew on this when i settle down...

LCT -- is that Honfleur?

Irenaeus -- thank you so much for the pics. they were wonderful and just what i wanted to see!

other than the fact that my arm is fairly screaming from the pain of over-shooting yesterday, i am getting a much better idea of the lapses in my current arsenal. NYC is just a blast to shoot and i got quite a few wonderful ones on my GRDII (28mm), but only did so because it was around my neck or from the hip, shooting blind. (wish i had the R-D1 here but truly enjoyed my small sensor yesterday to its fullest.) a larger camera would definitely need to be shorter... and i need fast for night shots, most definitely!

kind of freaking out over all because yesterday i came out with images i'm going to want to keep in colour too (something i almost never do) so everything is now topsy-turvy in coating thoughts as well.

keep any more thoughts and photos coming as once i settle down with the cam i will be obsessed once again.

i truly appreciate it all!

LCT

...LCT -- is that Honfleur?...
Yes indeed. Another one from there with the Rokkor 28. I'm not a Minolta rep i promise but i've never seen that good a small 28/2.8 aside from the Elmarit asph of course.

cam

thank you, LCT!

an update: camera is waiting for me at the hotel, so i'll have it in my hot little hands tomorrow! Terry was kind enough to loan me two CV lens, a 28mm and a 35mm so i'll be able to get an idea of how i feel about the focal lengths. if 28 proves to be one of my preferred ones, there's a very reputable store in California that has a Rokkor in very good condition, so...

anyways, i'm excited to start my love affair!

W

wbrandsma

Congrats with your new camera Cam! Have fun in the States and with the camera. Say hello to your BF, and Terry rocks!!

cam

Congrats with your new camera Cam! Have fun in the States and with the camera. Say hello to your BF, and Terry rocks!!
Mazel Tov!
thank you!!!

flight cancelled, i was SSSS'ed at the airport, got lost looking for the inn, but when i arrived my handsome devil was waiting for me. have yet to look at the pics on the big screen as i am just practicing focussing and such -- toes, coffee cups, and Kevin has offered to be my kitty cat, cleaning his whiskers on the sofa.

can i just say that i love this camera??? i mean really truly LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! i can't stop squeaking with joy! it is the most lovely camera ever to use!!! just might be a while before i take anything worthy... :ROTFL:

cam

almost summer

spent a lazy day shooting, getting more and more comfortable with my baby. there actually may be a couple of keepers in the midst of several really boring shots, but this was by far my favourite (needs reprocessing though).

i started getting cocky and comfortable and thought i'd try my hand at street shots :ROTFL: seems the Epson is just a wee bit heavier than my GRDII and, well, i kind of had the hyper focal distance wrong. oops! lovely filmic look, though...

LCT

Re: almost summer

...i kind of had the hyper focal distance wrong...
Due to the crop factor of the sensor, the DoF markings of 'full frame' lenses, i.e. made for the 135 format, are a bit off.
You might wish to try the DoF markings of the nearest faster f stop of your lenses i.e. f/5.6 when you choose f/8 for metering by example.
Works fine with my APS-C digicams.

helenhill

YEAH CAM!!!
you go girl......and as for our RD1 /M8 discussion at Brunch
you might be right....catching the drift, under the spell
Tell Kevin to PLEASE post more pixs with his new baby

;)BEST-H

cam

Due to the crop factor of the sensor, the DoF markings of 'full frame' lenses, i.e. made for the 135 format, are a bit off.
You might wish to try the DoF markings of the nearest faster f stop of your lenses i.e. f/5.6 when you choose f/8 for metering by example.
Works fine with my APS-C digicams.
thank you for the tip. i'd read about it (an, i think, sometimes 2 stops?), but reading and actually remembering are two different things... :banghead:

YEAH CAM!!!
you go girl......and as for our RD1 /M8 discussion at Brunch
you might be right....catching the drift, under the spell
Tell Kevin to PLEASE post more pixs with his new baby

;)BEST-H
passed that on to Kevin (who quite likes the R-D1). he did a comparison shot (still life) between the cams and actually preferred the one with the Epson :D (he's put more up, btw)

in re: our discussion. i still stand by it, even more so after using it for a day. however, i seem to have a special talent of making any camera my own :p and, since i haven't properly played with the M8, it could be a load of bollocks... but the Epson is definitely charming me. very film-like in use and output. shot most of the day wide open to hone my focusing skills and was enthralled. stopped down, the images are capable of being quite sharp whilst still having a lot of character. this is definitely the closest to film you can get in a digital...

here's a straight JPEG from the camera (having trouble with RAW on my Air), taken wide open, very low light, at 1600. nothing was done but a slight crop and a resize. focusing was a bear! but 1600??? oh my!

Terry

Hi Cam,
sounds like you are having a great time with the new toy.
So how is life beyond 28mm? I assume wide open is to get decent bokeh means shooting with the 35mm?

I'm waiting in NY to hear that trancontinental squeal of delight when you go and meet up with Sean at camera west!

cam

Hi Cam,
sounds like you are having a great time with the new toy.
So how is life beyond 28mm? I assume wide open is to get decent bokeh means shooting with the 35mm?

I'm waiting in NY to hear that trancontinental squeal of delight when you go and meet up with Sean at camera west!
enjoying it immensely! and yes, it's the 35mm (thank you soooo much!). i must admit to hating the tabby thing on the CV lenses, though. i much prefer the Leica... will probably take the 21mm with me today as well and just kind of wing it.

as for squealing, i haven't really stopped :D just love love love this camera! i've got to admit, i am still lusting after that 35/1.4 pre-asph Lux for the dreamy bokeh which Sean doesn't seem to have (at least not on the site).

btw, where are your Red Rocks shots??? (and have you bonded with the GRDII yet?)

eek!!!

i love cameras. i love lenses. i am going to become a lens slut as well -- what a joy!

cam

CONGRATULATIONS CAM

I hope you'll both be very happy together (I'm really quite jealous).
ah, Mr E, you must get one again! such a joy to use and so addicting! we were at a lookout point and i pulled out the DP1 (feeling guilty) and obviously had a very puzzled look on my face when i reached the top. what's the matter? my BF asked. it doesn't cock! it doesn't make a noise! how do i know if it shot anything?
i couldn't stop trying to "advance the film"... :ROTFL:

This looks great Cam. Looks like it got a little break.
i had to pee :p