The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

Maggie O

Cam, if you're at all like me, you will come to love the focusing tab on the CV lenses. Especially if you zone focus at all.

cam

Cam, if you're at all like me, you will come to love the focusing tab on the CV lenses. Especially if you zone focus at all.
you're right -- for zone focusing they're absolutely brill! it's in the regular focusing that drives me nuts. the Epson patch is more finicky and difficult to see than the M8 and that tab just makes it more frustrating... for zone, though, i imagine it's king of the hill.

Maggie O

you're right -- for zone focusing they're absolutely brill! it's in the regular focusing that drives me nuts. the Epson patch is more finicky and difficult to see than the M8 and that tab just makes it more frustrating... for zone, though, i imagine it's king of the hill.
Now, I would think that having a firm little knob to grip would make finicky focusing easier. Just give it time.

cam

:ROTFL:

a brief note as i've only sporadic internet... i'm afraid i've become a Lux Lassie. found an older 50mm at Camera West and was doomed. the glow is unmistakable and my boyfriend is jealous beyond reason and even talking about getting getting himself an M8!

other lenses: the CV's are gorgeous (though the 28mm Terry loaned me vignettes like mad in the sun), but the specialness of the R-D1 really comes out with the older lenses. the new Zeiss i tried was difficult to focus and seemed somewhat harsh. (the Noctilux may be the only newer lens that enthralled me.)

i was able to find a service center here in L.A. that was able to clean my sensor and you now can't pry the camera and lens out of my hands. it doesn't replace the GRDII at all, but is adding a completely new dimension to my photography and i'm using the time to here to really master it.

on the way down south, i've had some great chances to play with it and can't wait ti put some of the stuff i've done with it. as a low light portrait lens, it is beyond compare, but i've even gotten some really dreamy street stuff.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

(but, no, Helen, it doesn't replace the M8. it just makes you yearn for one -- even though no one is ever going to pry this camera away from me. nothing handles as beautifully as this...)

found a wonderful Lux 35 yesterday, dolled up for easy street action. problem being that it cost more than initially thought and didn't seem to have the glow. i know now i need to touch and see a lens before buying... sigh.

i am doomed. but so so in love :grin:~

cam

light it again, ned

portrait, no pp. JPEG out of camera. (i'm shooting RAW but having problems w/software). bar shots later...

helenhill

Oh Cam
WOW .....Progress
Looks Fantastique :clap::clap::clap:
So Beautiful /your Subjects & Tones
The second shot reminds me more of a European Feel than out West or down South

Best, H

Terry

Cam this is a whole new you!!!! I like them both but will say the first is just fabulous!!!! :clap::clap:

I was wondering when you were going to post! The computer geek is traveling without connectivity or processing power. What a great laugh!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry the 28 turned out not so well for you. But it sounds like you had a fine time at Sean's.

cam

thank you, Helen! that dapper fellow has indeed been to Paris and has oodles of class. i took quite a few pics of him and still have yet to decide which i actually like best -- i may have to do a strip. his face spoke volumes!

Cam this is a whole new you!!!! I like them both but will say the first is just fabulous!!!! :clap::clap:

I was wondering when you were going to post! The computer geek is traveling without connectivity or processing power. What a great laugh!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry the 28 turned out not so well for you. But it sounds like you had a fine time at Sean's.
Terry, LOL! i know my photography isn't your cup of tea normally, so i'm quite pleased you like these. the camera does indeed bring out another side and i'm enjoying exploring it all.

i won't stop using my GRDII and doing that sort of photography, but i love that i now have a camera to branch out with. they each have their strengths and they each allow me to express a different side of myself. how lucky i am to have both these gems!!!

as for the 28mm, i'm afraid the fault was mostly mine. harsh, harsh sunlight with no shade on it. the colours were absolutely lovely (dare i say, better than the Oly or the DP1?) and it was quite sharp. both the lens were actually terrific. and you did me the most marvelous favour of all by allowing me to get used to my camera and figure out what focal length and look i was after.

but, as i said initially, i couldn't get over the focusing tab on either lens. i just hate them, end of story. similarly, i wasn't happy with the doohicky on the 35 Cron i tried at Sean's. (the Sonnar was quite wonderful in that way -- it just didn't want to play nice with my R-D1 -- possibly because it was brand spanking new.) i'm a very tactile person and the feel is as important as the look for me... my Lux is scalloped and just feels right. it's also quite old (60's or 70's Germany) and it just draws the images so beautifully..

in fact, i'm thinking the indecision i have about the 35 Lux i'm looking at is that it may be TOO new (1983). the bokeh isn't as pronounced nor is the glow. whoever had it (an M6 owner) affixed an extra pieces to make focusing and changing aperture a tactile dream (even if it looks slightly goofy).

there's supposedly a camera store in San Diego (where we're heading) that has old lens so i need to suss it out and hope they may have my Cinderella Slipper. (Steve's Camera told me about it, but i've yet to find the name.)

jonoslack

HI Cam
Lovely photos! - I'm so glad you're enjoying it - it's a joy to behold and touch isn't it. (I still miss mine).

That guy makes me want a smoke!

Was it the Zeiss 50 sonnar you didn't like? I use mine a lot, but it can be a little brutal (lovely and dreamy at f1.5 though).

cam

HI Cam
Lovely photos! - I'm so glad you're enjoying it - it's a joy to behold and touch isn't it. (I still miss mine).

That guy makes me want a smoke!

Was it the Zeiss 50 sonnar you didn't like? I use mine a lot, but it can be a little brutal (lovely and dreamy at f1.5 though).
thank you, Jono! and, yeah, it was the 50 Sonnar (because of you) that i had to try before i pulled out the CC for the Lux. it was pretty brutal and just didn't sit right with the Epson, IMO. the Noctilux, however, was luscious!!! not that i tried it at anything other than wide open :grin: even the Cron seemed too harsh... it just mated with my old Lux like it was made for it. dreamy and glowy but beautifully sharp. it may have to do with the contrast on the newer lenses which makes it harder to pull the detail in the shadows on the R-D1.

you want more smoke??? (i swear i love all the shots i took of him! again, no PP... and keep in mind, this was my first day with the lens.)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cam,
I love all of your shots with the RD-1. You made a wonderful choice with the 50 pre-ASPH. I have one and it is my favorite lens. I'm looking forward to more from you.

cam

thank you, Cindy! (i really am using major self control and not putting up the picture of a cockatoo with great bokeh ;) )

do any of your 35's come close to the magic? as much as i love the 50, i will be needing a more carry-around lens. i'm just so loathe to give up the magic!

LCT

The lenses i use to match my (late) pre-asph Summilux 50/1.4 are a (late) pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4, the Summicron-M 35/2 IV and the Summicron-C 40/2.
To get an 'older' look, i would try an earlier Summilux 35 but flare can be a serious problem then. A Summaron 35/2.8 could be a good idea as well. Or perhaps an earlier Summicron 35/2 but i have no experience of same.

cam

thank you, LCT!

my 50 Lux is old #1927XXX. chrome, Leitz Wetzlar, made in Germany and the 35 Lux i've been looking at is #3253XXX, black, with only Leitz on the lens, Made in Canada on the side (the flare seems quite contained compared to the 50). they seem to be from different production runs, but i'm too much of a newbee to know the difference. is that serial number for the 35 a pre-asph or just a late third version?

i want some of the glow but i'll also be using this more on the street, so maybe newer is better? i'm also pretty sure i want the 1.4 because France is dark so much of the year and i really like to shoot in adverse lighting conditions as well as bars, etc. (the CV 1.2 actually looks pretty cool, but it's definitely too heavy to use as an everyday carry-around.) f2 is a maybe if i'm convinced the Cron is that much better.... and all this may be moot when i look at my credit card statement :bugeyes: