The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

LCT

...the 35 Lux i've been looking at is #3253XXX, black, with only Leitz on the lens, Made in Canada on the side...
This 35/1.4 pre-asph is similar to mine (code number 11870).
It won't show the same 'glow' as an earlier version but it handles flare better and it stays quite smooth at full aperture (pic below).
Matches well my late 50/1.4 pre-asph but the latter is sharper at f/1.4.
Makes me feel that this 35 should make a fine combo with your 50/1.4 but it is just a guess as i have not used an early 'lux 50 like yours for 10 years at least.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cam,
I have the Summicron V4. It is not as dreamy as the pre-lux 50, but has a nice bokeh. I have avoided the 35 lux on the M8 because of the focus shift problems that many have had. I might try the CV 35 f/1.2 at some time (but it is BIG, so I would keep my cron.) It sounds like the 35 lux that you have your eye on might be just the ticket.

cam

thank you, Cindy. a v. 1V Cron is almost impossible to come by these days and, to be honest, cost (almost) as much as Lux. i love the extra stop but am still not convinced on the bokeh...

LCT, as always your input is appreciated as i think you have or have tried every lens on the planet! :p

i may try a 2nd version with the infinity lock (available on ebay -- but in the city where i currently am) to see if i get my glow w/out flare. doubtful, i guess. it sounds like it may be an either/or proposition....

okay, question to all. this is a pic of the tricked-out lens i'm looking at (it came in to the store on a mint M6). two more questions:

1) does it look ridiculous???

2) how difficult is it to add on these silly pieces (since i disliked the grasp on the Cron)?

since the Lux is so little, the paddle really makes it a joy to use. but it may be a little too dorky looking... i've yet to get my hands on a regular 35 Lux and can't compare. i'm also scared these extras might make it easier to inadvertently knock settings...

LCT

Ha ha! Yes it may look ridiculous to some connoisseurs but less so than tourists chimping with their digicams IMHO. Anyway who cares if it works? At least you won't have the focus tab you seem to dislike. Below a regular model to compare:

cam

so it does look completely ridiculous when viewing from the other side... sigh.

you made me shudder, LCT, with your description, though looking like a stupid tourist in Paris is not all that bad. people tend to ignore you, but still... and resale value would suffer if i decided it was not my cup of tea... i liked the lens a lot, but did not absolutely LOVE it like i do my older 50. i will play with it some more and see if i can make an appointment with the guy on ebay who's selling the second version and look at that as well. or just wait until i get back to Paris and troll the used shops and hope i find a gem there.

thank you, again, for your input.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cam,
You might want to keep your eye on Rangefinderforum.com. There are some gems that pop up for sale there. Right now there is a 35 summilux for sale.

cam

Cam,
You might want to keep your eye on Rangefinderforum.com. There are some gems that pop up for sale there. Right now there is a 35 summilux for sale.
thank you! i saw it and read the thread where he was deciding to sell (he kept the one w/infinity lock). there's also a mint Summicron IV w/hood, box, cap, etc., but i'm wondering why no one's bitten...

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I saw a cron V2 and the summilux there, but I did not see a version IV. Sometimes they are sold and just don't get marked off. You might inquire if you are interested.

cam

thank you for putting up with me, Cindy. i know other people go through it as well, but i feel not unlike a dog chasing after its tail :bugeyes:

when back and revisited several images from various lens i tested since i really am, finally, comfortable with the camera. came to a few conclusions...

i was far more impressed with the CV lenses than i was at first. still not for me because i can't get over the focusing sticks.

the Noctilux will remain something i will dream about -- even though i know i'll never be able to afford it.

i think i was too harsh on the way the Cron focuses because the images are pretty stunning (i tried a third version).

the 50 Sonnar does indeed have a dreamy bokeh, probably somewhere between a Noctilux and my Lux. and quite sharp stopped down (though the Cron won overall, but it may just be the off-focusing of the lens i tried). it makes me wonder if the Zeiss 35 is anywhere close, even though it only is an f2.

the late pre-asph 35 i was testing is indeed quite sharp. i need to try it yet again as most of the images were a bit too contrasty for my taste, but it may be me as i tend to shoot difficult light. (and i do love contrast -- i just hate to be stuck with it. perhaps i'm not, still need to figure out how forgiving the RAW files are. and part of it may be me, still uneducated in so many important fundamentals.)

finally, that elusive glow coupled with the sharpness may be something that only the 50 Lux has...

i'll be away from the camera (which has practically slept with me for two weeks) for a few days as i tackle reality for the next few days. clear my head a bit and the like. now if only i could stop dreaming about lens. i am obsessed indeed.

time to step back and let my tail heal.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Can anybody help me with the contact/telephone of Toshi/else at Matsuiya store Japan...

I know about ebay.. but I need to speak to human this time:p