Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

here's the basics. i tend to prefer shooting interesting people on the streets, usually strangers. i am getting more and more into reflections, shooting through glass, light and shadows, etc. i only have small sensors and the DP1 in my arsenal. when asking on a thread about the D300, everyone decided a Rangefinder would be more suited to my style and recommended the M8.

i can't afford the M8 right now... i was at my camera store yesterday and he's got a mint condition RD-1 for Ç1350 with the newest software. i can't really afford that either right now, but i loved the look and feel of it very much. completely different than my compacts (and i suspect i would shoot very differently with it as well), but very satisfying.

i know Photokina is around the corner and i was really waiting until after to see what may be offered up. it does not seem that anyone's really running to produce a new Rangefinder within my price range, however. (i think i have to concur that a Rangefinder is perfect for me.)

is the 6mp resolution going to be limiting? or does that make the grain/noise even more pleasing? will Epson still support it if something goes wrong? do people still use and love this camera? (btw, i will shoot RAW and tend to be more into b/w.) where does it shine in your opinion?

i have a ton more questions, but really want user opinions, experiences, samples, and the like.

thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    ...is the 6mp resolution going to be limiting?...
    No if you don't print larger than A4.

...does that make the grain/noise even more pleasing?...
    Yes, the R-D1 grain is very film like.

...will Epson still support it if something goes wrong?...
    Yes if you live in France AFAIK. I would ask Photo Suffren in Paris if i were you.
    Photo Suffren / 45 Avenue de Suffren - 75007 Paris / tel : 01 45 67 24 25 / fax : 01 47 83 78 68
    MÚtro La Motte Picquet Grenelle or Dupleix
    http://www.photosuffren.com/

...do people still use and love this camera?...
    It is my favourite camera ever at the exception of the Leica M3. But i'm just an old Leicaphile who "sees" in 50mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you for your answers! i'm trying to read everything i can find on this, but personal experience from people on this forum means a lot. i'm ashamed to admit that that store is within walking distance of where i live and didn't know it i really do love my camera shop, but it's wonderful to know that there is somewhere close to look for lens, etc. if i go this route.

i love 28mm myself, but see this as a very different type of camera that would lend it self 50mm and allow me to grow as a photographer. i am still at the point where every day is an adventure and i grow fascinated with all the possibilities!

your equating it with the M3 is high praise indeed. which lens(es) are you using with your RD-1?

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love my RD-! and did not get rid of it when it got the M8. Very nice camera but the RF is a little flaky but like mine and it has done great work.

I've done 13x19 prints using the CV 15mm and sold one. I used same lenses I use on my 8 but started with the CV 35/1.2, 28/1.9, 15/4.5, 75/2.8 and 50/1.5.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean has written extensively about the RD-1.

Review of the camera.

Wide Lenses on the RD-1.

Fast Lenses On The RD-1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, John. that says a lot as well! do you have any photographs you care to share? i know i can look on flickr and the like, but it's much more fun seeing images from people i've come to know and respect.

thank you for the links, Maggie. i reread those this morning (the first read was what put me on the lookout). i value Sean's opinion, but i'd like others as well -- though Sean is free to chime in here on a personal basis. btw, have you ever played with one, Maggie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, John. that says a lot as well! do you have any photographs you care to share? i know i can look on flickr and the like, but it's much more fun seeing images from people i've come to know and respect.

thank you for the links, Maggie. i reread those this morning (the first read was what put me on the lookout). i value Sean's opinion, but i'd like others as well -- though Sean is free to chime in here on a personal basis. btw, have you ever played with one, Maggie?

Texas Cafe Life.

Life in a Texas Catholic Parish

Heart of the Canan...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DON'T Buy it....
    BUY it for me !!
    I have been looking for the Rd1 for about a year
    but have not had the courage to buy on EBAY from camera stores in JAPAN /Brand New about $2000.00 to $2500.00

I think YOU would Love it (we Ricoh Girls have similar Taste)
    The option of lenses, not too big in size, 23.7 x15.6 Sensor. Not too many bells & whistles (over hype on cameras today) Just Two exposure Modes :Aperture Priority & Manual....... and YES more affordable until one can buy the M8

Personally i would rather go that route than the Oytmpus 420 which I believe you were musing about.
    Can you buy it with the option of taking back with store credit
    OR
    when you come to NY in May
    I will buy it from you if your'e unhappy.

Best, Helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 26th April 2008 at 09:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never even seen one, Cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John -- thank you! the picture gallery you pointed me to is exactly what i'm looking for. the feel is seriously the most film-like of any digital images i've seen. but, are they all from the RD-1? i thought the VetaVitaVegamin shot was with the M8? and how about those candle images in church? (your work is marvelous btw!)

if you tell me all of those are from the RD-1, i am so sold.... Marcel, here i come!

Helen -- i'd always wondered about them but they were too much money. i was browsing the window, waiting for the shop to open, and there it was fairly hidden in the lower left hand corner. it was the first time i saw one in person, let alone got my paws on one. to be honest, i really tried NOT to fall in love with it and gave it short shrift despite my guy allowing me to play with it and read the manual over a glass of wine. i spent too much money last month between surgery, rehab, and the DP1... but still the feel of the camera in my hands haunts me. and i truly got a hoot out of cocking the shutter (but damn, it is loud!)

never really considered the E-420, btw. only if i was given it as a hand me down...

Maggie -- i wish you had. i value your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

....i love 28mm myself, but see this as a very different type of camera that would lend it self 50mm and allow me to grow as a photographer.... which lens(es) are you using with your RD-1?
    I use mainly Leica and CV 21, 28, 35, 40 & 50mm lenses.
    If you like the 28mmm field of view, the best affordable choice would probably be the CV 21/4 P. It is so small and light that i use it more often than my Elmarit 21/2.8 asph.
    To avoid vignetting, i'd suggest that you try the Silkypix raw converter which makes forget this issue (pic below, FF & 100% crops).
    The only problem with 21mm lenses is there are no 21mm frame lines in the 1:1 viewfinder of the R-D1.
    Given the wide DoF at 21mm, you might wish to use an external viewfinder but with a bit of habit, guessing the 21mm FoV around the R-D1 finder is not difficult at all if you shoot both eyes open.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my 3rd one. They're not the highest build quality, but I believe there will be some kind of long going independent serviceability of these, at least I hope so.
    My Photography Blog here

Sean_Reid

It's absolutely still a viable choice though you must remember that it may not be supported by Epson long-term. You know the pros and cons from my long-term review but don't worry about 6 Mp because the R-D1's 6-MP are worth printing. I kept mine and I would use it a lot if the M8 didn't exist.

Lower cost alternative to the M8 - absolutely.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John -- thank you! the picture gallery you pointed me to is exactly what i'm looking for. the feel is seriously the most film-like of any digital images i've seen. but, are they all from the RD-1? i thought the VetaVitaVegamin shot was with the M8? and how about those candle images in church? (your work is marvelous btw!)

if you tell me all of those are from the RD-1, i am so sold.... Marcel, here i come!

<Snipped>
    You'll need to check the Details camera and lense. Not all are RD-1, the M8 and 5D are mixed in there. The candle light church is Canon 5D ISO3600 with the Canon 50mm f1.0. All the close altar work is the RD-1 as it's so quite. Here are my Picks from the RD-1.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5784102

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5911873

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6115392

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6027404

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5798883

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5798877

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5741240

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5881491

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5818527

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5818497

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5815592

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5764896

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5764888

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5764890

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6071674

These are are RD-1's

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you for the images, LCT!

ampguy, you're on your 3rd one -- why???

John, apologies. i was watching the slideshows on my laptop so i could see all of them without using my right hand to advance them i will look closer at the data. i figured some were with the M8 (damn!) but i must say that i'm more impressed with the Canon than i had been, wow!

i think i'm going to go play with it a little more seriously on Tuesday morning... i was teased last night by my BF when i demonstrated how i held it on a Nikon FG-20, how comfortable it was. he screeched with laughter as i was doing the heavy stuff southpaw. if i get this now, it will be the way i learn to shoot it. period. like my completely unorthodox was of using chopsticks which my then Japanese brother-in-law tried in vain to re-teach me. i get stubborn sometimes...

Post Thanks / Like

This was over about 3 years, they all worked fine, my current third one is the "s" model. My 3rd one also needed a VF alignment even though purchased new.

The cameras for me have been reliable, but there was a time when I just wanted to go back to film, but I missed the convenience of the RD1, so we are back together.

Between the three, I have taken about 12,000 images.

thank you for the images, LCT!

ampguy, you're on your 3rd one -- why???

John, apologies. i was watching the slideshows on my laptop so i could see all of them without using my right hand to advance them i will look closer at the data. i figured some were with the M8 (damn!) but i must say that i'm more impressed with the Canon than i had been, wow!

i think i'm going to go play with it a little more seriously on Tuesday morning... i was teased last night by my BF when i demonstrated how i held it on a Nikon FG-20, how comfortable it was. he screeched with laughter as i was doing the heavy stuff southpaw. if i get this now, it will be the way i learn to shoot it. period. like my completely unorthodox was of using chopsticks which my then Japanese brother-in-law tried in vain to re-teach me. i get stubborn sometimes...
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    This was over about 3 years, they all worked fine, my current third one is the "s" model. My 3rd one also needed a VF alignment even though purchased new.

The cameras for me have been reliable, but there was a time when I just wanted to go back to film, but I missed the convenience of the RD1, so we are back together.

Between the three, I have taken about 12,000 images.
    ah, thank you! i was nervous but now i understand the one i'm looking at is an "s" model as well. how much does it cost (approximately) to get the VF alignment fixed or is it simple to tweak yourself?

also, is anybody using this on a mac?

and what is the largest card you can use?

does anybody have real low light photos with it?

so many questions as the more i seriously look at this camera, the more i think i'm falling in love. it is so different from my compact 28mm's and yet a perfect complement...

i won't really be able to afford lens for this unless i luck out and find good used ones. but still, i probably won't deserve that until i really learn the camera so that's okay.

on a totally girly side-note, all the wonderful analogue dials on the top look quite nice with my Montblanc watch's Reserve De Marche. (sigh, i used to make money.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use it on a Mac with CS3 and Lightroom never a problem.

I use 2 Gig cards and a card reader for transfers.

Here are two of my low lights one with the 35/1.2 and other with the 15/4.5

And all you'll ever want to know about keeping an R-D1 in good order.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 27th April 2008 at 09:42.

Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want one too
    I used to have one, here is the proof:
    First Set of R-D1 pictures

Second set of R-D1 pictures

There are more, but I can't find them right now!

I sold mine just after getting the M8 (for a healthy profit I might say), but I've regretted it ever since. I've found a secondhand one over here, but it's really more than I'd like to pay - seen 'em on the net, but they're very expensive.

What a delicious thing though - all those dials - mmmmm

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

There is a DIY thread over on RFF, but I had DAG do my alignment fix which was very reasonable.

I have quite a lot of photos of low light situations, any preferred lens choice? I've mainly used a cron 35/2 asph with mine, but also most of the CV lenses, and a Summilux 75/1.4 (no framelines!) with great success. Currently for lower light than f2, I use a 50/1.5 CV Nokton, but the 35/2 asph is still my main lens with this camera.

ah, thank you! i was nervous but now i understand the one i'm looking at is an "s" model as well. how much does it cost (approximately) to get the VF alignment fixed or is it simple to tweak yourself?

also, is anybody using this on a mac?

and what is the largest card you can use?

does anybody have real low light photos with it?

so many questions as the more i seriously look at this camera, the more i think i'm falling in love. it is so different from my compact 28mm's and yet a perfect complement...

i won't really be able to afford lens for this unless i luck out and find good used ones. but still, i probably won't deserve that until i really learn the camera so that's okay.

on a totally girly side-note, all the wonderful analogue dials on the top look quite nice with my Montblanc watch's Reserve De Marche. (sigh, i used to make money.)
    My Photography Blog here

wbrandsma

You are really serious about this, Cam! The RD-1 looks like a awesome camera. I wouldn't mind the 6mp. I was just wondering what focal length you would prefer. You are using two 28mm's right now. Unless you are happy with 42mm, you will have to work with external viewfinders.

Post Thanks / Like

The 28 frame selector matches actual 28mm lenses, and behaves much like a 28mm on a FF film camera, just cropped a bit. same with the 35mm and 50mm frame selectors on the RD1.

There are no framelines for 75, 90, or 135 on the RD1, but 75 works well with the 50 setting, just a bit tighter. I haven't tried 90 or higher but would imagine it would be more difficult and require some trial/error testing.

An interesting thing about the RD1 is you only have one set of framelines up at a time, unlike a film Leica M body where you have pairs. Also the VF/RF is parallax adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    You are really serious about this, Cam! The RD-1 looks like a awesome camera. I wouldn't mind the 6mp. I was just wondering what focal length you would prefer. You are using two 28mm's right now. Unless you are happy with 42mm, you will have to work with external viewfinders.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I use it on a Mac with CS3 and Lightroom never a problem.

I use 2 Gig cards and a card reader for transfers.

Here are two of my low lights one with the 35/1.2 and other with the 15/4.5

And all you'll ever want to know about keeping an R-D1 in good order.
    thank you, John. i saw that the Epson Raw was merely a plug-in and wanted to make sure all was copasetic. and i read somewhere that the cards had to be formatted in Windows FAT so i started getting nervous... appreciate the link to the RF forum. i found it on my own and have been absorbing it like mad. (hopefully, i'll retain most of it for some reason, camera stores like butchers here are all closed on Mondays!)

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I want one too
    I used to have one, here is the proof:
    First Set of R-D1 pictures

Second set of R-D1 pictures

There are more, but I can't find them right now!

I sold mine just after getting the M8 (for a healthy profit I might say), but I've regretted it ever since. I've found a secondhand one over here, but it's really more than I'd like to pay - seen 'em on the net, but they're very expensive.

What a delicious thing though - all those dials - mmmmm
    delicious! what more could one want in a camera???

high praise, indeed, that many of you have kept (or wish you had) the RD-1 after moving on to the M8. your photos are smacking -- i'm guessing all Leica lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    There is a DIY thread over on RFF, but I had DAG do my alignment fix which was very reasonable.

I have quite a lot of photos of low light situations, any preferred lens choice? I've mainly used a cron 35/2 asph with mine, but also most of the CV lenses, and a Summilux 75/1.4 (no framelines!) with great success. Currently for lower light than f2, I use a 50/1.5 CV Nokton, but the 35/2 asph is still my main lens with this camera.
    thank you! i did that thread over in the RFF forum (and you too). i have no lenses and would have to start with an inexpensive one the store has for Ç90 unless it looks to be a total dog. i have a feeling i will be trolling the used camera stores here and on my holiday in the states, and hopefully be able to find some deals. CV most likely, though i'm a little fascinated with the Canon 28/2.8 Sean borrowed from Ben Lifson. Leica will never be in my budget

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

actually, the more i look, the more i am. (i'm do things a little @ss backwards, but what else is new? i love love love 28mm, but actually am looking at this for something different. when i was at the store, i dropped my purse, left one of the cameras on the counter, and ran out of the store with another. i came back in to get a lecture about how unsafe that was. speech was stopped when i pointed to what i had seen. a one in a thousand, wizened old sailor type drinking Stella at happy hour. the owner of the store quickly ran out and managed to get what i hadn't -- with an R8 of all things!

i know i have high resolution cams and can always crop, but i hate to do anything more than a little tidying (and very rarely that). i'm really into expanding, both my fundamental education and the things my eye sees. i am quite comfortable with the 28mm view and will never give it up. but also, i'm ready to dare myself further.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you! i did that thread over in the RFF forum (and you too). i have no lenses and would have to start with an inexpensive one the store has for Ç90 unless it looks to be a total dog. i have a feeling i will be trolling the used camera stores here and on my holiday in the states, and hopefully be able to find some deals. CV most likely, though i'm a little fascinated with the Canon 28/2.8 Sean borrowed from Ben Lifson. Leica will never be in my budget
    I think mine were mostly taken with the Lieca 50 'cron and 90 elmarit (not grand lenses).
    But there are plenty of excellent CV lenses for very reasonable prices, I used the cv 28mm f1.9 a lot - excellent lens on the R-D1

You go for it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam -
    How long are you in NY for? I have some of the CV lenses if you want to play for a bit.
    I currently have the 12, 21, 28 f3.5, 35 f2.5, and 75 f2.5. The 35 f2.5 is a FANTASTIC lense and is only $210 new. The 35mm is lens is absolutely tiny probably smaller than the DP1 extended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Correct liink to Rick Culter's R-D1 pages including do it your self rangefinder adjustment.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You go for it!
    i think i am!

that is, if i could figure how to focus the darn thing i was seriously so busy twiddling with this and that, that i never properly got the focus right.... completely embarrassed to ask this, but what the hey is that white square supposed to do? i made it solid, i made it disappear, i twinned it, i made it do all sorts of juggling acts... just never figured out what meant you had it in focus

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Cam -
    How long are you in NY for? I have some of the CV lenses if you want to play for a bit.
    I currently have the 12, 21, 28 f3.5, 35 f2.5, and 75 f2.5. The 35 f2.5 is a FANTASTIC lense and is only $210 new. The 35mm is lens is absolutely tiny probably smaller than the DP1 extended.
    we get in the 6th and leave the 10th. staying near Ground Zero (uncomfortable for me but the price was right)... our first stop will be to B&H or the like to get my boy his Oly. i'm treating him to the better lens, which means i won't be able to afford one for myself...

you are sweet to offer the use of lenses, but i am so new to this it may be wasted (see above). or perhaps i'll bond immediately??? i am hoping that the lens the store has for sale (€90) is the CV 35/2.5 but i'm not positive. it *is* a tiny one. i think whoever owned it first did not really skimp. it comes bundled with a wee flash in red box and the Epson leather case. my biggest concern will probably be getting extra batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Correct liink to Rick Culter's R-D1 pages including do it your self rangefinder adjustment.
    thank you, John. i'd found that as well. i realised i could get one of my boys to do it. not that i'm afraid of going in and doing the dirty work (many years of doing that with audio equipment and computers) -- i just don't have the hand coordination at this point.

in fact, i think the whole hand/arm issue is partially what's really drawing me. for now, i'm having difficulty executing the hip shots i like (still major decapitating and listing). when i raise my eye to really look, i find myself seeing bits of things and parts of people that fascinate me. i want to start shooting those images.

the thing that cracks me up, though, is when people talk about how quiet this camera. my god! it clacks like a goose! i shutter to think what i'd feel about a noisy camera
    Last edited by cam; 28th April 2008 at 04:52. Reason: punct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well, it sold saturday morning. i'm off to sulk. i really really wanted it...

Post Thanks / Like

...i was at my camera store yesterday and he's got a mint condition RD-1 for Ç1350 with the newest software...
    It is the price of a brand new R-D1s in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, LCT! i went to Photo Suffren on the way back, btw. i was a little bit of a drowned rat. they did not speak english and were kind of rude about it. this was definitely a sex (i'm female) thing as well it made me angry because i'm not fluent enough to call him on it.

the camera i was looking at was in absolutely mint condition. plus, i'd have the back-up of my store.... my bad, he would have held it for me but i really wasn't sure i could spend that kind of money.

i'm speaking with the guy who has one up on Lightstalkers (posting marker in the RF forum). he wants to sell it bundled with a Leica 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH. as he's also including a VF, does this mean i can't focus in the camera? this would make the R-D1 close to 28mm, a view i'm very familiar with... anyways, i'm third or fourth on the list of interested parties...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for Photo Suffren but i haven't got any problem with them so far.
    There are no 21mm frame lines in the 1:1 viewfinder of the R-D1 so you might wish to use an external viewfinder.
    I don't use one personally as i shoot both eyes open so that guessing the 21mm FoV is not difficult at all but it is a matter of habit of course.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, LCT! i went to Photo Suffren on the way back, btw. i was a little bit of a drowned rat. they did not speak english and were kind of rude about it. this was definitely a sex (i'm female) thing as well it made me angry because i'm not fluent enough to call him on it.

the camera i was looking at was in absolutely mint condition. plus, i'd have the back-up of my store.... my bad, he would have held it for me but i really wasn't sure i could spend that kind of money.

i'm speaking with the guy who has one up on Lightstalkers (posting marker in the RF forum). he wants to sell it bundled with a Leica 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH. as he's also including a VF, does this mean i can't focus in the camera? this would make the R-D1 close to 28mm, a view i'm very familiar with... anyways, i'm third or fourth on the list of interested parties...
    I'm sorry to hear about that cam - how much did they want for it (if it isn't a rude question).

As for the bundle with the 21mm elmarit - well, you can always sell that afterwards if you don't want it.

External viewfinders are fine, but IMHO the main point of a rangefinder is erm the rangefinder!

I know you're used to 28mm FOV, I think you might find that the R-D1 was rather 'long' if you know what I mean. It always seemed to me to be a wonderful camera for equivalent focal lengths from 44mm upward (i.e. the 28mm framelines). You can put on a 25mm on and reckon it's the whole viewfinder - that'll be about 37mm.

On the other hand it's wonderful for portraits with a 50mm becoming 75mm etc.

Maybe none of this is really wide enough for you?

Perhaps you had a lucky escape?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sorry to hear about that cam - how much did they want for it (if it isn't a rude question).

As for the bundle with the 21mm elmarit - well, you can always sell that afterwards if you don't want it.

External viewfinders are fine, but IMHO the main point of a rangefinder is erm the rangefinder!

I know you're used to 28mm FOV, I think you might find that the R-D1 was rather 'long' if you know what I mean. It always seemed to me to be a wonderful camera for equivalent focal lengths from 44mm upward (i.e. the 28mm framelines). You can put on a 25mm on and reckon it's the whole viewfinder - that'll be about 37mm.

On the other hand it's wonderful for portraits with a 50mm becoming 75mm etc.

Maybe none of this is really wide enough for you?

Perhaps you had a lucky escape?
    $1400 for the camera. $1200 for the lens. whole bundle w/VF, etc. $2600. i spoke with him and told him honestly that i wasn't sure about the lens. (he bought this used in good condition but it just wasn't his bag. he used Leica film cameras but has grown addicted to his 5D. he only shot about 100 pics on it.) i love wide, but i have wide X3. this may be something i want later on, but not as my first lens. i want to use to use the RF as an RF.

so you see, i was serious about wanting to grow. i could probably shoot the 21mm blindly, but what's the fun in that? i'll probably be wanting a 28mm and a 50mm, even though everyone recommends the CV 35/2.8... this is such a different style of shooting than how i use my silent compacts, that i need the shorter distance. (this isn't something you can shove in somebody's face, exactly.)

i want to know what i've got before i make major decisions on the lenses. i love the delicacy of the Leicas, but there's something sweet about the Canons. and then there's the Zeiss and Hexar to consider. (biggest lust that i can't afford is probably the Summilux 35/1.4)

i want this camera!!!

in the meanwhile, my emotions got the better of me and i shot like a madwoman, probably better than i have in a few months. i just didn't give a **** and it showed.

i must say that the GRDII makes a delicious weapon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

$1400 for the camera. $1200 for the lens. whole bundle w/VF, etc. $2600. i spoke with him and told him honestly that i wasn't sure about the lens. (he bought this used in good condition but it just wasn't his bag. he used Leica film cameras but has grown addicted to his 5D. he only shot about 100 pics on it.) i love wide, but i have wide X3. this may be something i want later on, but not as my first lens. i want to use to use the RF as an RF.

so you see, i was serious about wanting to grow. i could probably shoot the 21mm blindly, but what's the fun in that? i'll probably be wanting a 28mm and a 50mm, even though everyone recommends the CV 35/2.8... this is such a different style of shooting than how i use my silent compacts, that i need the shorter distance. (this isn't something you can shove in somebody's face, exactly.)

i want to know what i've got before i make major decisions on the lenses. i love the delicacy of the Leicas, but there's something sweet about the Canons. and then there's the Zeiss and Hexar to consider. (biggest lust that i can't afford is probably the Summilux 35/1.4)

i want this camera!!!

in the meanwhile, my emotions got the better of me and i shot like a madwoman, probably better than i have in a few months. i just didn't give a **** and it showed.

i must say that the GRDII makes a delicious weapon
    I sold a 21mm pre-ashp in excellent condition for ú750 last year, the prices seem to be okay assuming that it's all in mint condition. You really should be able to do well with the lens, either here or on ebay.

I agree about the lenses though, 35mm on the R-d1 is a so-so lens (IMHO). I'd go for a 28 and a 50, and you ought to be able to manage that quite easily (might even manage it with a swap here) . . . . . . erm . . . come to think of it, I might be interested I have a 28mm CV ultron and an almost unused silver 50mm 'cron knocking about here. If the 21 is in good condition we might be able to come to some sort of accommodation!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam check this seller out ...

http://stores.ebay.com/Matsuiyastore...29115QQfrsrcZ1

http://stores.ebay.com/Matsuiyastore...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Matsuiya Has an awesome reputation ......

Konica M Hexanon 28 ,50 or the UC 35...... anyway worth a look

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam

Charley is right ....That store in japan is quite Reputable
    'Ampguy' has bought his rd1/rd1s from them
    and said the delivery is only 3-4 days tp the States, so I;m sure Gay Paris is even quicker
    Best- Helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Cam

Charley is right ....That store in japan is quite Reputable
    'Ampguy' has bought his rd1/rd1s from them
    and said the delivery is only 3-4 days tp the States, so I;m sure Gay Paris is even quicker
    Best- Helen
    You know it makes sense (even I was tempted!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you are all evil!!! but thank you

if i do that, Helen. dearest. you would have to be my recipient as i leave Tuesday morning and i'm not sure i (or they) would want (them) to ship it to a dodgy hotel...

and what lens to go with initially? old faithful they have bundled with it or go with one of the Hexanons? or would i be better off (cheaper) getting a lens in NYC?

i wish i could have done the New York leg at the end so i could have taken advantage of Terry's generous offer to play with lenses. as it is, i'm already planning on a stop at the camera store in Carmel (featured in the workshop pics) to see what used goodies they may have. after a week in Sonoma, i should have the hang of it....

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! let me wait and see until i hear from the guy whether it's sold or not.

and you do know, Helen and Mr Extraordinary, if i get one you guys are going to get sucked in too maybe we should just see if we can get a group discount and be done with it???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cam -
    You can ship to me as well. We could also work it out to take the 35mm lens to California and ship it back at the end of your trip. This gives you about 50mm coverage a nice compliment to the 28 on the DP1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cam
    you could ship it to me as well - I'm very reliable, and it would have a very good home here .. . .erm I mean I'd send it straight to you wherever you are

Just this guy you know

wbrandsma

Cam, you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cam
    you could ship it to me as well - I'm very reliable, and it would have a very good home here .. . .erm I mean I'd send it straight to you wherever you are

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it.
    this was honestly the first camera i wanted but couldn't afford it...
    Last edited by cam; 30th April 2008 at 11:39. Reason: i talk too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    cam -
    You can ship to me as well. We could also work it out to take the 35mm lens to California and ship it back at the end of your trip. This gives you about 50mm coverage a nice compliment to the 28 on the DP1.
    Terry, that is sooooooooooo generous of you and i just may take you up on it! unlike Mr. E., i think you might actually hand the camera over

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so if i buy the whole kit ($2600), the used one is mine! (otherwise, i'm second in line for body only) that would mean that although the camera is used, i'd essentially be getting a Leica 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH for $400.

i think i'm saying yes.

Terry, would i still be able to ship it to you so i could have it to play around with in New York?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes cam,
    No problem. I will send you a PM with the info. I don't know the value of that lens. What type of warranty do you get with a new camera if you bought it from the online store?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

online store, $2114 manufacturer's warranty. used, $1400, no warranty. i know the current owner used it for less than 100 shots. trying to double check on how used it was from the original owner...

thoughts, people?

btw, if i buy the used one i will probably have it shipped to Sonoma as the guy is in Sacramento. i still might take you up on the CV though

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You of Little Faith . . . moi? half inch a camera? NEVER!
    Whatever you decide, good luck! (I'm still casually interested in a swap with the 21mm, but I guess it'd have to be after you get back to Paris)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeez Cam
    you've been BUSY losing your mind Today
    with Decisions & the Lust Bug

How many cameras will you be bringing to NY
    you know I'm just Teasing

and am near to buying at the matsuiyastore
    They have 4 in stock ....between that & the Dp1
    This is my mind as to which way to go......
    All the Best, H