Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP1

Following the recent theme, here's one I took yesterday over the Rockies on the way back from Calgary. Processed in Nik's Silver Efex.

Attachment 7950

Ciao,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 12th July 2009 at 14:37.

asabet

Great plane window shots all! We've got a nice thread within a thread going here .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin, that's a *tremendous* shot through the airplane window with your DP1, fantastic colour too!

I have never managed to take anything approaching that quality regardless of camera. Well Done.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely get the DP2 when it's available. I am using a LX3 right now (now Raw processor for it yet: grrrr) and I will take a few window shots on my way to SF and Vancouver (and later, the Caymans). All: some lovely images here! cheers, KL

nei1

You and me both Kit,I hope theyve taken as much care over the 40mm as they did with the 28mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amin, was that wing shot RAW?

asabet

Hi Brian, thanks for the extremely kind comments!

Yes Lili, I haven't shot JPEG at all with the DP1 since realizing how much better the RAW files hold up. That was RAW, processed in Sigma Photo Pro followed but some quick curves adjustments in PS.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love that B&W Simon

Post Thanks / Like

Minor questions, but ones I'd like to know what you think about:

1. Is the DP1 likely to come down in price within the next 6 months?

2. I had a GRD and found its minimal bulk acceptable for carrying on my belt. Is the larger DP1 too much bigger to be useable that way?

3. Would the DP1 images (especially those in B/W) tend to jibe with those from my Epson RD1 or clash with them?

Thanks,

Irenaeus
    Last edited by Irenaeus; 3rd October 2008 at 18:31. Reason: forget to ask before

asabet

Hi Irenaeus,

I think:

1) Yes, I'm guessing it will be in the $500-600 range new at that time.

2) That's a personal call. I find the DP1 acceptable for the belt or even in my jeans pocket. It's noticeably larger than a GRD though.

3) I vote jibe . Honestly, I'd put the DP1 B&W capability up there with the best that 35mm and smaller format digital can offer in the 28mm angle of view equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Minor questions, but ones I'd like to know what you think about:

1. Is the DP1 likely to come down in price within the next 6 months?

2. I had a GRD and found its minimal bulk acceptable for carrying on my belt. Is the larger DP1 too much bigger to be useable that way?

3. Would the DP1 images (especially those in B/W) tend to jibe with those from my Epson RD1 or clash with them?

Thanks,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Amin,

That's very helpful, especially coming from you I've been following your photographic offerings and musings since your "favorite digital camera [was] four years old" (I still love and use my own LC1) and they carry a good deal of weight with me.

I do confess to be (happily) surprised that carrying the DP1 in your pocket doesn't present a problem with dirt and lint. Do you bag it, or wrap it in a handkerchief, or are your pockets just a lot cleaner than mine?

It's also been a real blessing to be able to share in the ongoing life of your family (our own three year old grandson lives far too far away!) Many thanks to you and to your wife for letting us in on your treasure.

The question now becomes, how long am I willing to wait before getting that DP1?

"Time value of money; money value of time....

Irenaeus

asabet

Thanks for the kind words about the blog and my family photos Irenaeus!

Regarding the DP1, most of the time I keep it in a case on my belt, less often in my pants pocket. I have an LCD protector on it and just make sure there aren't any keys, change, etc in my pocket. I don't wrap it. The cap gets lint on it sometimes, but I've had no problems otherwise.

christopher e.

I'm waiting on the DP2, but I don't have a DP1. I've been waiting for the perfect serious compact....LOL! Does anyone expect we will see any news before the launch date? Or do we have to wait until Feb/March (or beyond)? I hope I don't regret not buying the DP1. Foveon all the way!!!

Thanks,
    Christopher

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by christopher e. View Post
    I'm waiting on the DP2, but I don't have a DP1. I've been waiting for the perfect serious compact....LOL! Does anyone expect we will see any news before the launch date? Or do we have to wait until Feb/March (or beyond)? I hope I don't regret not buying the DP1. Foveon all the way!!!

Thanks,
    Christopher
    Hi Christopher
    It'll be launched at PMA, it'll have interchangeable lenses and it'll be made by Olympus with a 4:3 sensor (it may even have bits of leather on it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd insert an image amongst the text.

Looking down on the Thames.

Post Thanks / Like

I deliberately pushed the levels on these to get the strong saturated colours.
    We are converting the barn to make a community hall.

theyanz

Dear friends,

I am new to digital photography (did dabble a little in analog photography many years ago) and have just bought a Sigma DP1 about a month back. I have attached 2 pics here, one of which is a natural look while the other is a more "weird" look - each used a different software. Which do you prefer? Neither's perfect as I had to handhold the camera and as a result the images couldn't align perfectly in either program.

Also, please let me have any comments regarding ANY other aspect of the picture. I am here to learn from all you experts, and I dont mind painful honesty. I especially enjoyed the previous posts and all the pics, in fact this thread was instrumental in helping me decide to get the DP1. I noticed there has been no new posts recently, so pls don't let it "die" a natural death!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look and comment!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and congrats on the DP1, it's a honey of a camera, isn't it?

Personally I like the second one for the added drama in the sky, added to that the darkening of the underside of the roof creates a nice offset tonally to the rest of the building. Well done!

Cheers,

theyanz

Thanks Simon, your encouragement is very much appreciated. I've been following your work in this and other threads, as well as in your website. I find your DP1 pictures (especially the b&w ones) really beautiful and stunning. You have a contemplative aspect in your work that I find particularly appealing. I work for a Canadian bank here in Singapore and would love to meet up with you when my work takes me there once a year.

theyanz

Here's another one taken with the DP1 in the same area in Malacca (Malaysia), it was an empty temple which I had stolen into to take a quick snap before the security guard hauled me out. Again, any comments about any aspect of the picture (including "enough with the HDR stuff already!") are heartily welcomed!

Post Thanks / Like

This one is a nice subject but I think the sky is just over done. You can see the blacks blocking up, especially on the far right.

Actually, looking again at your second picture in your first post above, I see some artifacts in the grey cloud to the left of the building's peak. You can also see a bit of the same thing in the clouds above the right side of the roof too. Strange!

Keep the pictures coming but maybe don't push quite as far.

Ciao,

theyanz

Thanks Simon. You are absolutely right, I did see the strange artifacts in the first picture but missed the black blocking in the second. Thanks for pointing those out.

At the risk of hogging this thread, and making some members here go I take the risk and post this photo here. This was taken just opposite the empty temple. I know its a busy composition, but I really like the colours and I didnt push it very much at all; most of the colours you see here are close to what you will actually see on location. You can tell its an HDR image as the flowers were in the open (under overcast natural light) while the middle of the picture is actually the inner sanctuary of the temple (under incandescent light).

Thanks everyone for being patient with me.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple from this morning. The second one didn't get very interesting until I applied the Bleach Bypass Nik filter...

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to work long hours recently and haven't had a chance to use my DP1. Fortunately while working the other day, I saw this magnificent sky that kept changing as the wind pushed the clouds across the trees.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/60 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

Post Thanks / Like

And here's another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Drama of the second shot /like a film noir
    & the third version of Color do it for me....
    Good to see you Posting again
    Cheers ! H

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Helen. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm working my way through a long procrastinated to-do list.

Here are two more.

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

Post Thanks / Like

GromitsPapa:
    Your use of that Nik Bleach Bypass Filter really rocks.....I can see a whole series of cafe interiors like that! It really works well there!
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

I really like these David. Something quite mystical about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus Christ! I was going over some of the photos on this thread and I'm blown away by the latitude on the DP1...some of these photos are borderline HDR!

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken Amin's advice and am using Sigma Photo Pro to convert my DP1 images to monochrome, as opposed to desaturating the color in Lightroom or Photoshop. It seems to give a smoother and broader range of tones. The old way looks less three-dimensional (I can post comparisons, if anyone is interested).

I used the SPP monochrome conversion for the three B&W trees-and-clouds images I posted last week, as well as this image from my March trip to Vegas.

ISO 200, f/4, 1/40 second

theyanz

Wink Re: Sigma DP1

Something I took from a recent biz trip to Hong Kong with the DP1. Happy holidays everyone!

ellemand

Hi you all.
    Wonderful pictures I've seen here. I don't use my DP1 that much - and it's a shame.
    My lovely GRD II has to go to repair first thing in the new year (a little dust on the sensor), which will give me some time to spent with the DP1
    Anyway - this thread shall not die, so here af few pictures to show you some of my black and white work with the DP1.
    The train-shots are all 800 ISO - the rest 100 ISO.

Thanks for your time - I wish you all a happy new year.
    Ellemand.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific images, as always, Ellemand. You really know how to make the DP1 communicate.

I especially like the first, third, and last ones. The first shows the elusive 3-D effect, which is one of the best traits of the DP1. It seems to turn up when the lighting is just right, and there's a certain combination of foreground and background objects.

Your ISO 800 train-shots have very little noise. Are you using any special techniques to keep the noise levels low?

ellemand

Hi David.

Thanks for your kind comment.
    I don't do anything speciel. I convert the RAW-files in Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 in which I keep the contrast low. I don't know if that's the secret, but it seems to work for me.
    Then I convert to b/w in CS3 via channelmixer, then a little shadow/highlight (remenber to increase midtones-contrast a little) and finally levels and contrast before resizing and a little smartsharpen. That's all. Hope you can use the informations.

Best
    Ellemand.
    Last edited by ellemand; 29th December 2008 at 08:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GRII sensor dust?

Ellemand,

Disturbing to hear about the sensor dust on a sealed camera, how long have you had this camera and was the dust there when it was new?

Thanks!

ellemand

bbodine9.

My GRD II is one year old - and there were no dust, when I got it
    I have to admit, that I always carry it with me - in a beltcase or just in my pocket, so it's maybe my own fault ?
    I have to send it for a sensorcleaning.
    In the meantime I have to use my GRD I and the DP1 - hope they can do the job

Best
    Ellemand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ellemand,

lovely B&W shots with your DP1 - I'm in the same position, had my DP1 for almost a year now and hardly used it... I've stopped carrying it around everywhere now (since I dropped it out of a pocket) - and removed the battery a couple of weeks ago, to see whether the battery drain issue was battery or camera related.

You've inspired me to search it out and focus on some B&W shooting - the DP1 is imho a perfect B&W cam - lovely clean images and excellent dynamic range, together with a super sharp lens.

Kind Regards

Brian

ellemand

Hi Brian.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    My DP1 also "eats" batteries faster than the GRD II. I now have four batteries, so I can manege a few hours of taken photos

As written my GRD II has to go in for a sensorcleaning. I the meantime I'll use the DP1 more - I do a lot of shooting in trains, at stations and a lot of streetphotography.

I'll try it out in A-mode and manuel focus - I've done that before and have maked som good results. I mostly use the GRD II for these kinds of pictures, because it's faster than the DP1. On the other hand, I love the IQ from the DP1 - ISO 400 and 800 without problems - and the b/w from the DP1 - it's the best I've ever seen.

Best
    Ellemand.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice shots, ellemand. yes, my d-lux 2 got a speck in it. evidently all these small cameras not immune.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

dp1
    Last edited by smokysun; 14th February 2009 at 20:35.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a project I'm doing with an ad agency about funeral homes.....
    The DP1 is it....in the raw file, I can read the name on the smokestack way in the background.....and clearly...
    Last edited by Streetshooter; 3rd November 2009 at 14:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

We've had cold temperatures and fog lately which although very dismal to put up with does tend to yield some exciting photo ops.

Attachment 11099

Attachment 11100

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 12th July 2009 at 14:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Wow, I have just found this thread. There are some remarkable images here.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to start capturing some of the interesting residential architecture around here. DP1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Snapped these at the High Museum in Atlanta this week...
    Last edited by Don Hutton; 15th September 2010 at 14:36.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has gone a bit quiet so I thought I'd post a couple.