The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

Will

Some deliberately very green foliage, from my garden, to go with all these flowers.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Will, lovely greens there...

What aperture did you use though? I think your shot would be perfect with just a tiny bit more dof (hardly perceptible - but I'm guessing you're a perfectionist ;) )

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

Your right Brian, it was F4.5 at 1/50s. The light is better today so I may have another go.

Brian Mosley

My first from early this afternoon...

this is of cast iron - about 10 feet tall in the woods.

DP1, 1/80s f/4.0 at iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi Jack, it's not too much fun to shoot with, but the files are great to work with in PP and super sharp!

Using the Gorillapod SLR zoom to get a fix... (taken with the E-420)

Sigma DP1, 1/20s f/8.0 at iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

Ahhhh, Brian, that is how your get sharpness.
Will and David how many of your shots are handheld?

Brian Mosley

Hi Lili, this is the first image I've used the pod... it sort of defeats the object of carry-everywhere in your pocket! LOL

Kind Regards

Brian

H

hermie

100% crop from

Sharpening in SPP -0.8 and just a tad of Uwe Steinmueller's new 'EasyD DetailResolver'

DavidE

Lili, so far all my DP1 and GRD2 shots have been handheld. Now that you mention it, I should be using them sometimes with a tripod to get a rock-steady focus. It just seems to run counter to carrying a compact camera.

Of course, you're seeing some of the sharpest images. I have had more-than-my-share of slightly out-of-focus shots (usually my fault, not the camera's).

Lili

Lili, so far all my DP1 and GRD2 shots have been handheld. Now that you mention it, I should be using them sometimes with a tripod to get a rock-steady focus. It just seems to run counter to carrying a compact camera.

Of course, you're seeing some of the sharpest images. I have had more-than-my-share of slightly out-of-focus shots (usually my fault, not the camera's).
Ok David, that makes me feel a bit better, I agree, cameras like this really are meant to be handhel, IMHO
You all are making the DP-1 VERY tempting to me

Brian Mosley

Hi Lili,

I'd still recommend the E-420 + pancake over the DP1 at the same price, but the DP1 is fantastic under the right conditions.

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

Hi Lili,

I'd still recommend the E-420 + pancake over the DP1 at the same price, but the DP1 is fantastic under the right conditions.

Kind Regards

Brian
Yes, there is that. Does the Oly allow manual focus? Is it done by a focus ring?
Focus by wire?
I am spoiled by the Pentax quick-shift system :)

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Yes, manual focus... depends on the lens (I use legacy lenses which are all manual) - all are by focus ring. But AF is very fast - I use centre spot focusing.

How does the Pentax quick-shift system work?

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

All mine are hand held but I do cheat whenever I can. For instance with the angled shot of the plant on the wall I lent against the wall with my elbows on the wall. I do find that the DP1 is good for holding steady for some reason though, and I have always been quite steady taking hand help shots.

Lili

Yes, manual focus... depends on the lens (I use legacy lenses which are all manual) - all are by focus ring. But AF is very fast - I use centre spot focusing.

How does the Pentax quick-shift system work?

Kind Regards

Brian
It uses a old fashion mechanical focus ring on the lens, that you can use to override the AF, plus the there is a simple toggle on the camera body to disable the AF

Brian Mosley

Well, you get AF + MF adjust and various configurable options - so you should be quite happy with the E-420.

Kind Regards

Brian