The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

MisiekBunnik

Thank you all, although this was only number 10 out of the camera, I already feel connected to the DP1. (her) :)

I noticed that a bit of negative x3 fill light is doing something to the photos that I had to do with other cameras in many steps (darken shadows, a bit of vigneting, local contrast...) Negative fill light is doing it in one slide. It's the look that I like a lot

best
ronald

DavidE

Here's a color shot from the Boulder trip.

It's similar to another image I posted in this thread. I simply moved down the trail a bit and was able to include the tree. With the sky the way it was on that day and the grandeur of the rocks and mountains, you could randomly snap a DP1 periodically and end up with a fine collection of picturesque images.

DavidE

What I meant to say above was, "you could randomly aim a DP1 periodically and end up with a fine collection of picturesque images."

N

nei1

MisiekBunnik,when the image came up I could literally(literally)smell the morning dew.If only this camera had a 35mm,a 40mm or 50mm lens.Wonderful!!!

DavidE

A splash of color from the CTIA tradeshow in Las Vegas. This was shot from the escalator the day before the show officially opened. I'm surprised the image is so sharp, as the escalator was moving, and it was captured at 1/20 second.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/20 second

helenhill

Will
The Barn Door is BRILLIANT.....Love it:clap:
The DP1 RED is a PURE,LUSH, CRISP RED
Best, H

Last edited:

Will

Thanks Helen. I'm having fun playing with lovely saturated colours that the DP1 generates. I find it reminiscent of fuji slide film.

Lili

Will brillant stuff, as ever. The DP-1 and you are getting on fabulously!
Question though, "Newt-Proof Fence"?

Will

Will brillant stuff, as ever. The DP-1 and you are getting on fabulously!
Question though, "Newt-Proof Fence"?
Thanks!

In the UK there is a species of newt that is protected by law. The fence is needed so that all the newts that might be in the field can be trapped and moved before a new access road is built.

Brian Mosley

Will
The Barn Door is BRILLIANT.....Love it:clap:
The DP1 RED is a PURE,LUSH, CRISP RED
Best, H
Hi Helen, I think the DP1 does fantastically well in Will's green/yellow comparison above... but I am not a fan of the Sigma reds at all... even in the tractor shot above, there's a niggling doubt in my mind that I'm seeing a slightly magenta tinged red.

Here are a couple of shots from the E-420 which show the kind of rich, lush reds I prefer...

E-420 + Leica 14-150mm OIS
1/100s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

1/125s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

I see your point Brian, those reds are very good. I have recently found myself wishing more of the RAW developers catered for the DP1 because, although I love the rich colours it produces, they can be a bit wild in some files and difficult to reign in using SPP.

Brian Mosley

Hi Will,

I think that good 3rd party RAW converter support will be essential for the success of the DP1 - it's probably the single biggest drawback I can think of, since I can work around everything else to use it as a landscape snapshot cam.

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

Hi Brian,
Yes a Blue Red perhaps but its Beautiful
Will can answer as to whether the DP1 was spot on with that red / How true the color really is

In terms of artificial lighting / incan., floure. the DP1 without a doubt can rear its ugly head towards MAGENTA
But its still 'special' that Foveon Sensor and draws in its own special way

So many of todays cameras are soooo homogenized in their 'Look'
which IMO makes the world of photos a boring place (and thats where the dp1 can be Fun)

YOUR Strawberries & Tomatoes are MAGNIFICENT and a REAL WORLD RED:)!!
The Leica ois works Superb with the e420

Best to You - ;)
Helen

Terry

The issue on red is not all SPP. Have a look at the histograms for each color. You may actually be clipping the red channel....

From the review:
"The DP1's Foveon sensor is generally quite sensitive towards reds and in extreme situations this can lead to a clipping of the red channel, resulting in a purple/pinkish color on subjects which in reality are bright red. Unfortunately there is not an awful lot you can do about this other than to be aware of the problem. When it occurs you might want to try and reduce saturation in the menu (or during RAW conversion). You can later pull up the green and blue channels again in your imaging software but to be honest it won't make too much difference and you'll always end up with colors which are not entirely representative of the real scene."