The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

S

SimonLarbalestier

Thanks Lili - all the Cambodia work currently online was shot with film though i have just returned from another Cambodian trip where i was using the DPI and the GRD2 - i will post these online as soon as i have finished some current deadlines.

Brian Mosley

We popped out to a local favourite landscape spot yesterday... took this shot using the new ISO 50 option.

DP1
1/200s f/8.0 at 16.6mm iso50

And from the same spot, my wife Karen took this shot with the E-420 + Leica 14-150mm OIS

E-420 + Leica 14-150mm OIS
1/640s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

S

SimonLarbalestier

Brian DOF @F8 for that distance with the DPI is quite remarkable! Nice shots both of them.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Simon, yes - I'm much happier with the DP1 with the latest firmware upgrade... but the achilles heel is still lack of 3rd party RAW converter support. Ideally, we need DNG converter support imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

S

SimonLarbalestier

Yes i'm waiting for something to come from one of the RAW developers to compare to SPP. Hopefully soon.......

A

asabet

I hadn't used the DP1 in well over a month, mainly due to th E-420. However, I recently forced myself to choose between the two cameras and ended up keeping the DP1, mainly due to it's smaller size.

I took the DP1 on a family trip to the Maryland Science Center on Sunday. Most of the center was pretty dark. I set the shutter speed to 1/50s (I can handhold longer than 1/50s, but the kids rarely stay still longer than that :)), ISO 200 pushed the heck of out of the images in post to get them exposed how I wanted them. Here are a few to share, all processed to JPEG in SPP with no PS:

A

asabet

Thanks Lili. I'm really growing to like the 28mm angle of view. I still think I might prefer 35-40mm overall for people photography, but for indoors 28mm really helps.

DavidE

This is one is from back in June. I was leaning against a wall, which made it easier to shoot at 1/20 of a second.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Wow, that's a nice one, Amin. It's tack sharp with an iridescent 3D quality. One of the best DP1 images I've seen.

Lili

Wow, that's a nice one, Amin. It's tack sharp with an iridescent 3D quality. One of the best DP1 images I've seen.
I agree completely!!!!
Its enough to tempt me furthee, as if I needed that ;), to the Sigma camp :)

Last edited:
A

asabet

David and Lili, many thanks!

I don't know why, but I get the impression of a 3D effect more with the DP1 than I have with other cameras.

Last edited:
N

nei1

I do wonder why that is,Im not sure that I really want to know though.What I do know is that I find the DP1 photos more satisfying than those of any other digital camera,whatever the megapixels.Roll on the DP2COOL so that I can have my own!

sizifo

David and Lili, many thanks!

I don't know why, but I get the impression of a 3D effect more with the DP1 than I have with other cameras.
Is it something to do with the lack of anti-aliasing filter? Any tech savy people who may know this?