The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV 35/1.4 SC vs late Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4 on R-D1

LCT

CV 35/1.4 SC (single coated) vs late Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4.
R-D1, 200 iso, subject distance 1.2 meter, raws developped with Silkypix.
Full frame, Summilux, f/ 8:

cam

thank you, LCT. definitely food for thought...

speaking of, what are your feelings about both these lenses? when/why do you choose one over the other?

LCT

...what are your feelings about both these lenses? when/why do you choose one over the other?
I don't know yet as i've just received the CV but i'll try to respond when my tests are over.

LCT

Colors.
Full frame, f/8, Summilux below.
The focal length of the CV is slightly longer.
Pics taken within the same minute, tripod, aperture priority AE, same shutter speed (1/500s).

cam

i don't suppose i can ask if you happen to have a willing human around?

regardless, thank you for all these!

LCT

...what are your feelings about both these lenses? when/why do you choose one over the other?
I did not expect results like the pic below (R-D1 & late pre-asph Summilux @ f/1.4) with the CV of course. Too sharp obviously. But i needed a sharper lens at f/1.4 - f/2 for younger skins and landscapes and the CV looks quite competent from this viewpoint.
Also its bokeh looks pretty smooth contrary to that of some other CV lenses. Contrast is not too high either.
Otherwise flare is a concern but the Summilux is hardly better as you can see above. I guess it is the price to pay to avoid the bokeh of the MC version but i did not test the latter personally.
Colorwise, Leica lenses have a unique way to catch the light but the CV is not ridiculous at all.
Focussing issues? At short distance perhaps, although the flowers above look quite decent IMHO, but i haven't met any actual problem so far. Now i don't use charts and rulers in vogue to be honest.
Hope this helps.