The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420 + 12-60mm SWD...

Terry

Re: E-420 + 50mm f2 Cron

and another on the way home....too bad it happened so fast fom the car....the grd probably would have caught this
but theres still abit of magiic about it ;)
I actually really like this just the way it is.

Joan

Thanx Joan!
I'm on a 30 day trial w/ APERTURE & LIGHTZONE
but neither support RAW files (w/the 420)
so if anyone can let me know of an easier way.......
otherwise I am slightly tweaking with the Olympus Master 2 software
converting to JPEG dropping it into IPHOTO (from my mac) & Exporting here
Jeez too much to do

Best, H
I've been doing the same ... first tried Lightzone, now Aperture. Like them both, hard to choose.

jonoslack

Thanx Joan!
I'm on a 30 day trial w/ APERTURE & LIGHTZONE
but neither support RAW files (w/the 420)
so if anyone can let me know of an easier way.......
otherwise I am slightly tweaking with the Olympus Master 2 software
converting to JPEG dropping it into IPHOTO (from my mac) & Exporting here
Jeez too much to do

Best, H
HI Helen (and Joan too)
I don't know about Lightzone, but with aperture, if you convert the E420 raw files to DNG ( a very simple task with the free Adobe DNG converter, takes seconds), then Aperture will read them properly - there is an argument for converting to DNG for storage anyway. When the camera is supported properly in Aperture, then you will be able to use the camera specific profile with the DNG files.

Before you make a decision, don't forget about the organisational features of Aperture - and the fact that you can now also use the Viveza plug in, which gives you at least some of the zone advantages of Ligtzone.

jonoslack

THANX
Terry & Joan for your Sweet Thoughts
Jono for sorting out my Raw Dilemma

best,h
Hi Helen
any queries about aperture and Olympus RAW just drop me a line (I used this procedure for a couple of months with the E3 until it was supported.)

Joan

Jono, is Aperture your main raw developer for all of your cameras? It seems a little easier to understand (for me) than Lightroom. Do you have opinion on the pros and cons for each?

Lightzone is idiot simple ... so I'm thinking it might be perfect for me, LOL. If only it had the ability to use layers to combine exposures, there wouldn't really be any need for another image processor, IMHO. It does everything else very intuitively.

jonoslack

Jono, is Aperture your main raw developer for all of your cameras? It seems a little easier to understand (for me) than Lightroom. Do you have opinion on the pros and cons for each?

Lightzone is idiot simple ... so I'm thinking it might be perfect for me, LOL. If only it had the ability to use layers to combine exposures, there wouldn't really be any need for another image processor, IMHO. It does everything else very intuitively.
HI Joan
The advantage of using Aperture is that you don't really need to do any 'conversion' per se. All the adjustments you make are simply held in the database, so that when you next look at the file the adjustments are applied automatically. Lightroom works like this as well.

I've completely committed to Aperture now - I've got 24,000 catalogued photos in it, going back as far as 1989, and the idea of changing to something else is just too big!

They're a bit slow to cover new cameras, but now they'll read dng files properly that's not such a bad thing. The only problem is that there is no way to use it with fovean (dp1, SD14) files.

For me it's much easier to change camera than to change raw program, so I'm staying put.

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, has the DNG converter been updated for the E-420? I hope so - because Lightzone will read DNG, but not native E-420 yet!

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

HI Joan
The advantage of using Aperture is that you don't really need to do any 'conversion' per se. All the adjustments you make are simply held in the database, so that when you next look at the file the adjustments are applied automatically. Lightroom works like this as well.

I've completely committed to Aperture now - I've got 24,000 catalogued photos in it, going back as far as 1989, and the idea of changing to something else is just too big!

They're a bit slow to cover new cameras, but now they'll read dng files properly that's not such a bad thing. The only problem is that there is no way to use it with fovean (dp1, SD14) files.

For me it's much easier to change camera than to change raw program, so I'm staying put.
I do like Aperture now that I'm getting used to it a bit. I really need to make up my mind, have to start getting my files sorted or all of the pictures will be scrambled up for life. Organization is my true weakness (among many others.)

Thanks for your thoughts, Jono.

cam

oh my, Helen. i'm away for a few days and...

congrats!!!

Kevin is loving the older, bigger brother (though i catch him looking at all threads on the E-520) with the 12-60. just (finally) bought him his birthday lens -- the 50-200 for more range. a beast of a lens, but mighty impressive. the Oly's are definitely a fun breed!

btw, does anybody have an adapter that can let you use Leica lenses on the Oly? Kevin is lusting after my Summilux...

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, I've been playing with a Leica 14-150mm f3.5-5.6 OIS lens this afternoon... I was so impressed that I've just ordered one! Beautiful colours, stabilisation for the E-4x0 and unbelievably sharp! This lens will become my primary landscape lens, I think.

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

oh my, Helen. i'm away for a few days and...

congrats!!!

btw, does anybody have an adapter that can let you use Leica lenses on the Oly? Kevin is lusting after my Summilux...
I got my adapter from Stephan Gandy at 'CameraQuest'
the leica 4/3rds adapter runs $175.00 and works with the LEICA 'R' Lenses
he also has a Nikon adapter for $99.00 which works with the SL & SL11 series Nikon Mount
so here some possibilities for Kevin / He will LOVE the way i am spending his Money:ROTFL:

Too Bad the two of you are not stopping back in NY
for another Round of Fun........

Funny though the 50mm Cron worked Fabulously on the E330 OLy
that soft yet Crisp Leica Glow was STUPENDOUS
BUT on the E420 it DOES NOT have the same Magic / hardly visible the lens magic Lost
Why ??
Can anyone fill me in ?

Best to all, :):D:):D
H

Joan

Helen,

I can't really answer your question about why the E420 doesn't give you the "magic" with your lens, but it may just be down to the different sensors. The new ones in the E4xx and 5xx's don't seem to have the "something something" that the older Oly cams had. (How's that for a technical explanation, lol?) I experienced the same frustration with the E410 ... I first thought it was just the kit lenses that lacked that quality, but now I also think the sensors play a part. Same thing with the new E3 ... to my eyes the old E1 made pictures with an indefinable "look" that I don't see often with the E3. Just my opinion, and sure to be disputed by many who love the newer Oly's. They are wonderful cameras, to be sure, but a little "colder" in character is how I'd put it, I guess.

Keep shooting, perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to the camera and finding the right combo of settings that'll bring the magic back. Let's see some shots, girlfriend! :)

cam

Joan -- i love your wording! something something. that captures the essence perfectly! ;)

i also agree that getting used to a camera and certain lens can help bring back some of the magic. but still, i'm not rushing to look for a replacement at this moment for my Epson. with the 50 Lux, magic is there in almost every shot. sigh... happy girl!

and good news (thank you, Helen) for Kevin re the R lens. 1) i won't have to give him my Lux (M lens) so i won't get cranky and we don't need to fight over it. 2) the R lenses seem more abundant and much cheaper in price.

Joan

Joan -- i love your wording! something something. that captures the essence perfectly! ;)
Hee hee ... I didn't coin that, borrowed it from someone else here, I believe, but can't remember who right now. :eek:

i also agree that getting used to a camera and certain lens can help bring back some of the magic. but still, i'm not rushing to look for a replacement at this moment for my Epson. with the 50 Lux, magic is there in almost every shot. sigh... happy girl!

and good news (thank you, Helen) for Kevin re the R lens. 1) i won't have to give him my Lux (M lens) so i won't get cranky and we don't need to fight over it. 2) the R lenses seem more abundant and much cheaper in price.
Yep, the R lenses are sometimes to be had for bargain prices on eBay if you hit it right. It would be hell to squabble over your Lux! Please post some of your shots soon, Cam!