The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens

otumay

I plan to buy one for my SD14. Any user comments will be very much welcome.
Thanks,
Osman

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Sigma 50/1.4 was outstanding wide open on my full-frame Canon; I have heard this lens is its equal on 1.5/1.6 crop sensor but unfortunately have no direct personal experience --- sorry. I expect however, if it is in the same league, then it should be outstanding with the Foveon SD14!

otumay

Thank you, Jack, I appreciate your input. Today I have borrowed the lens for a limited time and took some shots with my SD14. I shall try to form an opinion and share it here.
Best,
Osman

Kofronj

Hi Osman,

I've found that my copy suffers some major CA under high contrast situations. I like the way the bokeh is rendered in most cases, and it's reasonably sharp in the center wide open. I use it for low light portraiture and captures, not so much as a landscape lens. It's also known to be a troublesome lens with the SD10 and SD14 with regards to autofocus, although mine works very well with the SD14 (after sending it in to Sigma for calibration).

When I got it, it was the only f1.4 prime available. I would personally prefer the 50/1.4 over the 30/1.4, but with the upcoming 85/1.4 I'm going to wait to see if I can lighten my wallet even more.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just bought the Sigma 1.4/50 3 months ago for my Nikon system and I am completely overwhelmed by this lens! Sharp, wonderful boukeh, fast quiet etc....

So I assume the 1.4/35 should be very similar as it is their (Sigma) counterpart for APSC size sensor cameras. I would consider it a no brainer to buy this lens.

otumay

Thanks for the inputs, they are much appreciated. Today I went to the dealer and tried two different samples. The first one had a serious calibration problem, whereas the other one produced very good results. At wide open, the lens is a bit soft, but gets its act together at f/2.0.
As for the 50/1.4, I've heard that it has a wonderful performance, but with the SD14 it has a fov of 80mm. I may use it for portrait work, but 30mm has a wider range of application in daily shooting I think.
I shall post some shots after buying it tomorrow.
Thanks,
Osman

kweide

Have the Sigma 50 mm 1.4 on my E-3. Excellent glass. Sharp and quick. Works even on E-P1 ( not fast but it works ! )

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very nice photos, Osman. I've heard different opinions about the bokeh of the 30mm, but your copy seems to handle that just great.

otumay

Thank you Jørgen, I agree with you on the bokeh quality of this lens. I look forward to trying the 50/1.4