The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD15 - An improvement over SD14?

otumay

Hi,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to compare the new SD15 with my SD14. Using the same lens (18-50mm/2.8), I shot the same scenes with the same focal distances and camera settings, then converted to 16-bit TIFF with Sigma's PhotoPro 4.1, and later converted to jpeg with Photoshop CS4. My overall conclusion is as follows:

SD15 is decidedly faster, has a better automatic white balance and a larger and better screen. In all other areas, I have not noticed any improvements; noise performance, dynamic range, etc. So it would seem that SD14 owners need not upgrade, but DP1 and DP2 users, if they wish to use this fantastic sensor also in a DSLR body may consider buying an SD15.

Hope this may be useful for some of us.

Osman

Kofronj

Hi Osman,

In replying late to this, the "SD14 owners need not upgrade" may be moot (thank the SD1), but let me go over some of my findings after using this camera for a couple months.

SD15 is decidedly faster: yes!
Better WB: yes!
Better LCD screen: Yes.
Noise performance: Yes. Not as dramatic as the speed, but it's definitely better in the shadows than my SD14.
Better colors: Yes. I won't necessarily say 'better', but easier to get to.
Dynamic range: No. To me, it looks the same.
Better AF: Yes, especially with continuous mode (tracking). With regular mode, it's not a lot better.

Battery life: Yes, yes, yes!! I routinely get 800-900 shots of out a battery now.

I was of the opinion before I shot the SD15, that it was just a modest upgrade and not worth the price of admission. After shooting it, I decided otherwise. Especially given that there's a new shutter in there (my SD14 was replaced because of shutter issues). It's a surprisingly compelling upgrade, and would be a great entry camera for someone looking to discover Foveon images. With the problems and quirkiness of the SD14, I was not recommending that camera without some real reservations.

Jim

otumay

Thank you for your input, Jim, much appreciated. I had pre-ordered the SD15 but felt a little cheated when SD1 was announced. But then again, I know it takes ages for Sigma to physically supply a model after the initial announcement, so I may go ahead with SD15. I was happy to learn that its battery life and AF is better than SD14.
And yes, I LOVE Foveon!
Osman

Kofronj

If you're reasonably satisfied with your SD14 and can wait, you'll probably get to choose from a less expensive SD15 (I bet the prices go down a bit), or the SD1 (rumored price of a Canon 7D, so figure around $1700). But if the SD14 frustrates you and you really need a dSLR, then I wouldn't have buyers remorse on the SD15. It's a very nice camera.

Jim

otumay

Right you are. The trouble is, now that I know that SD1 is in the works (hopefully), I shall not be satisfied with the marginal benefits of upgrading to SD15. Human psychology is so sophisticated ;)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
[...] Human psychology is so sophisticated ;)
No it's not.

You want the newer, fancier, better stuff.
For less dough.

You're so predictable.

:ROTFL: :deadhorse: :ROTFL: :D

Why do i want a SD1 (please F mount)?
Oh, and a Fuji X100? :confused: :eek:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
or ... or a digital Zeiss Ikon :angel:

Dear Osman and Corlan, we are millions who agree with you.
What's obviously wrong is that the industri neglects to read forums :lecture: