The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD1: Foveon returns from the dead???

scho

Latest from Sigma is "early 2011" and they are working towards producing a full frame sensor.

I recently bought a DP2s to see what the current sensor can do and I was quite pleased with the raw file quality, so now I'm encouraged to see how a larger sensor will perform. I'm not that thrilled with the DP2s camera performance, but I'm willing to work around the warts for the nice files (just need more pixels!).

Here are some 1200x1200 pixel 100% crops from a few recent shots - no resizing or additional output sharpening applied.

otumay

Carl, thanks for sharing. The Foveon sensor is unrivaled in color reproduction imho. The resolution is insufficient, I agree. SD1 seems to be the way out of this limitation. As for the full frame option, I am not sure: Even Leica has problems with their M9, it seems.
Your posts are magnificent, the last one has the finest greens I've seen.
Best,
Osman

scho

Carl, thanks for sharing. The Foveon sensor is unrivaled in color reproduction imho. The resolution is insufficient, I agree. SD1 seems to be the way out of this limitation. As for the full frame option, I am not sure: Even Leica has problems with their M9, it seems.
Your posts are magnificent, the last one has the finest greens I've seen.
Best,
Osman
Thank you Osman. I agree that Foveon colors are excellent and very accurate. If the upcoming SD1 performs well then the 15 MP sensor would be more than adequate for my needs.

Martin S

Carl:

The greens in ur last image are great. Any post-processing, or is the image straight out of the camera????

Thanks.

Martin

scho

Carl:

The greens in ur last image are great. Any post-processing, or is the image straight out of the camera????

Thanks.

Martin
Martin,

No color adjustments made. Just batch processed the raw files first through Adobe DNG Converter and then through CornerFix (removes the cyan/green corner color cast in the DP2s files) before importing into LR3 where exposure and capture sharpening were done. Cropped and converted to jpeg from LR to the web.

otumay

Let me contribute to this thread with a photograph of a close friend and his daughter, taken with SD14 and 30mm/1.4. Converted to 16-bit TIFF with Sigma PhotoPro and converted to jpeg with PS CS4 and Color EfexPro with no color adjustment. Foveon is mean, ladies and gentlemen, don't you think?;)
Osman

scho

Let me contribute to this thread with a photograph of a close friend and his daughter, taken with SD14 and 30mm/1.4. Converted to 16-bit TIFF with Sigma PhotoPro and converted to jpeg with PS CS4 and Color EfexPro with no color adjustment. Foveon is mean, ladies and gentlemen, don't you think?;)
Osman

Osman,

Agree. Beautiful colors and skin tones in the warm lighting.

roanjoh

I find that the Foveon sensor shines the most when looking at the photograph 100% zoomed in - the fine details and sharpness it can extract is quite stunning. I actually had quite a bit of difficulty nailing the color cast - mostly turning things into B&W. In any case, I am still very much looking forward to this camera.

scho

I find that the Foveon sensor shines the most when looking at the photograph 100% zoomed in - the fine details and sharpness it can extract is quite stunning. I actually had quite a bit of difficulty nailing the color cast - mostly turning things into B&W. In any case, I am still very much looking forward to this camera.
Agree. Have you tried using CornerFix to get rid of the color cast? Works great for my files. Just batch convert your raw files to dng with Adobe DNG Converter and then batch run the dngs through CornerFix and your files will be free of color casts. You can easily profile your own camera by taking one shot of a gray card or blank white wall and use that image to create the profile for CornerFix. You can download CornerFix at the link below and it is free thanks to the creator Sandy Fleishman.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cornerfix/

docrjay

If sigma can team up with Epson and launch a version of the SD1 in the RD1 rangefinder body with at least 2.7 inch screen at the back.

That would be awesome!

The last RD1 has a APS-C(1.5x) sensor, so is the upcoming SD1.

Wouldn't that be worth waiting?

Kofronj

I'm not so sure about this being a SD1 preview. Carl likes to screw around at times, and you'll note that it's titled SD ?.

My guess is that he's just having fun with his SD15.