The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD1: Foveon returns from the dead???

E

emyyl

Hi Carl, may I ask how you convert the RAW files to DNG?

Just batch convert your raw files to dng with Adobe DNG Converter
When I used Adobe DNG Converter, it could not read the X3F files on the camera, nor the TIFF output files. I tried selecting Adobe RGB color space in SPP, it still output to TIFF or jpeg files.

Just got my DP2S after reading this thread (and a few others) and is enjoying the film like images!

Gary

scho

Hi Carl, may I ask how you convert the RAW files to DNG?

When I used Adobe DNG Converter, it could not read the X3F files on the camera, nor the TIFF output files. I tried selecting Adobe RGB color space in SPP, it still output to TIFF or jpeg files.

Just got my DP2S after reading this thread (and a few others) and is enjoying the film like images!

Gary
In the preferences pane of Adobe DNG Converter set compatibility to ACR version 4.6 or later.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am definitely interested in this camera, and (to Jorgen) there is a company called (!) sigma cum laude that converts the Sigma mount to Nikon, Leica-R, and Canon—so plenty of choice there.

Downside is manual aperture stopdown; I am thinking one or two of the best Sigma primes might be the way to go.

Now, if it had the 3-stop ND filter (à la Fuji x-100) I might think Leica-R...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I meant to note that the conversions are reversable, too, which is very nice. The reason I am inclining to the Leica conversion is simply the excellence of the Leica-R lenses, most of which I have owned (grrrr) and of course they have aperture rings... The G Nikkors, while fine lenses to be sure, do not have these, so can only be used wide open.

scho

This site gives a pretty good overview of the conversion options for the SA mount. Interesting that the Sigma SA mount is mechanically the same as Pentax K mount but with the electronics of the Canon EF. A hybrid.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually cannot find the SD1 any longer on the Sigma sites. Anything happened, or am I looking to the wrong sites?

Also I would be interested if the rumors are right that Olympus is looking for a Foveon sensor (SD1 type with modified size of course) in their Pro level 43 and M43 cameras?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That looks good, I am happy that the SD1 will happen. Finally this should be a real breakthrough in IQ and image handling.

Maybe Olympus will incorporate a Foveon sensor too?

sinwen

Sigma hasn't given a date, the camera is ready, the firmware version is 0.5 and need to be adjusted still, so while the camera might be in production the soft isn't ready yet, they let suppose by end of spring.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is probably the most interesting camera approaching launch at the moment. Probably (hopefully?) well worth the wait.

Terry

Yeah, that price took me by surprise. If it is (in their minds) in the realm of medium format, can the current crop of lenses handle the resolution?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah, that price took me by surprise. If it is (in their minds) in the realm of medium format, can the current crop of lenses handle the resolution?
The pixel pitch is still that of a 14-15 MP sensor, so shouldn't be a problem.

Unless the people at Sigma have lost their minds completely, one has to assume that they have gotten this right. Keep in mind also that their RRP prices are usually way beyond street prices. Still, it'll be a hard sell. But who knows, maybe it's the camera equivalent of sliced bread ;)