Site Sponsors

Thread: E-3 vs E-520

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-3 vs E-520

Hello everyone,

I took the E-3 and E-520 out with a 12-60mm SWD lens early this evening to a special place near to where I live...

E-3 + 12-60mm SWD
    6s f/8.0 at 23.0mm iso100

E-520 + 12-60mm SWD
    6s f/8.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: E-3 vs E-520

Hey . . . where did you get an E520 . . . I want one for next week!

What's most amazing to me is how similar the water is over a 6 second exposure. The images really do look the same.

What's your take?

Just this guy you know

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The second one has cooler color to me. I am seriously thinking about investing into a full Olympus system and I would love to hear your comments on both E-3 and E520. I recently got a Panasonic L-1 with Leica D kit lens for my wife for travel use. The IQ is excellent for low ISO.

I have been shooting Nikon D200 system and not very happy. The only upgrade for Nikon system I will consider is D3. But I am reluctant to take that step. I know Jono has both systems and your comments are appreciative. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very lovely photos and a very interesting comparison. Exactly my dilemma these days, E-3 or E-520. I like the one from the E-3 the most. Richer colours. Did you use auto WB?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jorgen,

I took this shot while walking with my 3 young children and Labrador... I had the wb on both set to shade, zero NR... but! I had the E-3 set to vivid and one camera set to sRGB and the other to Adobe colour space. It shouldn't matter, because I shot RAW and set them both to Natural and Adobe colour space, plus contrast and sharpness equal before exporting to tiff for scaling & sharpening in Lightzone - but I'd like to do more with identical in-camera settings.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ocean, if you start with the E-420 you'll have the same IQ as above at the cheapest, most compact entry point... then you can add the E-3 for the ultimate 4/3rds performance if you like the system.

Just an idea... I founded the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group so that serious photographers could get access to the latest kit at our more & more successful free events... without having a salesman breathing down their neck for a sale

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, the only significant difference is a very slightly richer, more pleasant tonality to the E-3 shot - but that could easily be changes in ambient light and/or in-cam settings affecting Studio RAW conversion. I'll try it again if possible today.

Cheers

Brian

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

Thank you! I did play with the E-420 at a local story here in Washington DC. I like the size but the viewfinder is rather dim. I don't know if E520 is any better. If it is similar, I will go directly with an E3.

I wish Olympus USA organizes an event like the Safari Group in UK.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Ocean, if you start with the E-420 you'll have the same IQ as above at the cheapest, most compact entry point... then you can add the E-3 for the ultimate 4/3rds performance if you like the system.

Just an idea... I founded the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group so that serious photographers could get access to the latest kit at our more & more successful free events... without having a salesman breathing down their neck for a sale

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ocean,

the E-520 viewfinder is identical to the E-420... the E-3 OVF is huge in comparison.

Kind Regards

Brian

nei1

Brian,beautiful shot,would be nice to see a comparison shot using the dp1 and the oly 420,any chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Neil, I should have tried that... but the only reason to use the DP1 is when the batteries are flat on the E-420

Kind Regards

Brian

stevewough

E-3 vs E-520

You have done very nice job.I like all photographs.I have the E-1 and the E-3, but not the E-520. However, it is my understanding that the E-3 and E-520 share identical sensors and image processing firmware. I've posted about 50 or so images during June, mostly landscapes from a recent trip, in the photo forum. I consider them to be superior to the E-1 images in every respect. Do a search on postings by E B in the photo forum and judge for yourself. All of the images have EXIF data intact and I also wrote it out below the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I owned the E-3 for awhile. I thought it had great color and resolution, the articulating screen was a godsend, and the build was just fine. I found the controls to be too small and a bit tight for my big mitts however, to the point where the camera was never comfortable in my hands.

aprillove20

What a stunning photo. I liked the special effects and concept.