The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-3 vs E-520

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

I took the E-3 and E-520 out with a 12-60mm SWD lens early this evening to a special place near to where I live...

E-3 + 12-60mm SWD
6s f/8.0 at 23.0mm iso100

E-520 + 12-60mm SWD
6s f/8.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Hey . . . where did you get an E520 . . . I want one for next week!
:)
What's most amazing to me is how similar the water is over a 6 second exposure. The images really do look the same.

What's your take?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
The second one has cooler color to me. I am seriously thinking about investing into a full Olympus system and I would love to hear your comments on both E-3 and E520. I recently got a Panasonic L-1 with Leica D kit lens for my wife for travel use. The IQ is excellent for low ISO.

I have been shooting Nikon D200 system and not very happy. The only upgrade for Nikon system I will consider is D3. But I am reluctant to take that step. I know Jono has both systems and your comments are appreciative. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very lovely photos and a very interesting comparison. Exactly my dilemma these days, E-3 or E-520. I like the one from the E-3 the most. Richer colours. Did you use auto WB?

Brian Mosley

Hi Jorgen,

I took this shot while walking with my 3 young children and Labrador... I had the wb on both set to shade, zero NR... but! I had the E-3 set to vivid and one camera set to sRGB and the other to Adobe colour space. It shouldn't matter, because I shot RAW and set them both to Natural and Adobe colour space, plus contrast and sharpness equal before exporting to tiff for scaling & sharpening in Lightzone - but I'd like to do more with identical in-camera settings.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi Ocean, if you start with the E-420 you'll have the same IQ as above at the cheapest, most compact entry point... then you can add the E-3 for the ultimate 4/3rds performance if you like the system.

Just an idea... I founded the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group so that serious photographers could get access to the latest kit at our more & more successful free events... without having a salesman breathing down their neck for a sale ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, the only significant difference is a very slightly richer, more pleasant tonality to the E-3 shot - but that could easily be changes in ambient light and/or in-cam settings affecting Studio RAW conversion. I'll try it again if possible today.

Cheers

Brian

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Brian,

Thank you! I did play with the E-420 at a local story here in Washington DC. I like the size but the viewfinder is rather dim. I don't know if E520 is any better. If it is similar, I will go directly with an E3.

I wish Olympus USA organizes an event like the Safari Group in UK.

Cheers.

Hi Ocean, if you start with the E-420 you'll have the same IQ as above at the cheapest, most compact entry point... then you can add the E-3 for the ultimate 4/3rds performance if you like the system.

Just an idea... I founded the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group so that serious photographers could get access to the latest kit at our more & more successful free events... without having a salesman breathing down their neck for a sale ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

Brian,beautiful shot,would be nice to see a comparison shot using the dp1 and the oly 420,any chance?

Brian Mosley

Hi Neil, I should have tried that... but the only reason to use the DP1 is when the batteries are flat on the E-420:ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

S

stevewough

You have done very nice job.I like all photographs.I have the E-1 and the E-3, but not the E-520. However, it is my understanding that the E-3 and E-520 share identical sensors and image processing firmware. I've posted about 50 or so images during June, mostly landscapes from a recent trip, in the photo forum. I consider them to be superior to the E-1 images in every respect. Do a search on postings by E B in the photo forum and judge for yourself. All of the images have EXIF data intact and I also wrote it out below the image.

aboudd

I owned the E-3 for awhile. I thought it had great color and resolution, the articulating screen was a godsend, and the build was just fine. I found the controls to be too small and a bit tight for my big mitts however, to the point where the camera was never comfortable in my hands.

A

aprillove20

What a stunning photo. I liked the special effects and concept.