The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

ustein

Contributing Editor
We had today the first real session with the GXR and 3 modules (28mm, 50mm and 24-72mm). So far very pleased. I have the EVF (very fine EVF I would say). Like the tilt indicator very little distracting for me).

AF is slow but no problem for me.

28mm (very surprised how much I like it)

50mm

24-70mm

More images and larger files can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPFieldTests/Ricoh-GXR/

Godfrey

Very nice, Uwe!

I've decided that I really need the A12 50mm camera module in addition to the 28mm. 28mm is a bit too wide for my eyes a good bit of the time. I'd really like a 45mm or thereabouts ...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very nice, Uwe!

I've decided that I really need the A12 50mm camera module in addition to the 28mm. 28mm is a bit too wide for my eyes a good bit of the time. I'd really like a 45mm or thereabouts ...
Godfrey,

here is a real world example that having the 50mm can help. This was shot with the 28mm:

I could not get closer. The 50mm worked fine (see in the previous post).

The main issue at this point is the price (compared to G3 and lenses, and I need the EVF). But just from the usability I take the GXR + 28+50mm over the X100 any time.

woodyspedden

You know, as I have been viewing the many threads here over the past few weeks what I am struck by is how many really fine choices we now have to get great IQ from small, lightweight and relatively inexpensive cameras.

GXR, LX5, X100, K-5 etc etc.

Getting to the point where the look you may prefer is the only variable that may make your decision. I have experience with only the X100 and the K-5 but both of these are really stunning image makers. From what I have seen from the hands of some of the folks here the GXR, X1 and LX3 (LX5) get the job done very well indeed.

All in all, a great time to be a photographer IMHO

Woody

ustein

Contributing Editor
>All in all, a great time to be a photographer IMHO

True. The GXR alone offers many choices and the S10 module really surprised me. Nearly did not even try it.

Godfrey

>All in all, a great time to be a photographer IMHO

True. The GXR alone offers many choices and the S10 module really surprised me. Nearly did not even try it.
I am thinking you decided to do the week long evaluation program of the whole GXR kit. Yes, from a usability perspective, the GXR is way up there. I did get the EVF already as I knew very quickly that I'd want more than one lens. But I like using it so much with the optical finder I've got optical finders for both 28 and 50 lenses already.

A sleeper of a camera. thanks again, Keith!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I am thinking you decided to do the week long evaluation program of the whole GXR kit.

I got mine from Ricoh directly for a month long loaner.

Godfrey

Communicating #39

Ricoh GXR + A12 28mm f/2.5
ISO 200 @ f/5 @ 1/270 second

thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Uwe, did Ricoh include the P10 in the loaner kit?

Godfrey - the square format works really well on this image.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
You know, as I have been viewing the many threads here over the past few weeks what I am struck by is how many really fine choices we now have to get great IQ from small, lightweight and relatively inexpensive cameras.

GXR, LX5, X100, K-5 etc etc.

Getting to the point where the look you may prefer is the only variable that may make your decision. I have experience with only the X100 and the K-5 but both of these are really stunning image makers. From what I have seen from the hands of some of the folks here the GXR, X1 and LX3 (LX5) get the job done very well indeed.

All in all, a great time to be a photographer IMHO

Woody
Amen, Woody

And soon, it is going to get even better - can't wait for the M module from Ricoh. In case I get accused of being a Ricoh fanboy, my main, and largest kit is m4/3 and I also love my Sony A55. Let's not forget that we can now get use from all those wonderful legacy lenses out there. Good days indeed.

Keith

;)

Keith