The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

Keith,

I like this Infrastructure idea! The first three so far have been good, I'm very interested in where it takes your vision.

Onwards!

Godfrey

Communicating #55

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/5 @ 1/9 second

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Irenaeus

Hi, Everybody.

No problems today beyond a bit of operator error and not being able to see what was going on via either the rear LCD or the add on optical finder. That's nothing new, but today proved to be a tipping point. The last straw was discovering that I'd missed recording a number of family photos in the morning sunlight because it was too bright to read the camera's warnings that it had begun writing files to the internal memory and I needed to put in a new card!

Id sorta relied on being able to fake the framing, but this afternoon I finally bit the bullet and ordered the electronic viewfinder that I should have bothered with a long time ago.

I did get some keepers, though, and here's one from twenty minutes or so ago. I don't know how well this will read on your monitors, as it's the first one I've posted from my own uncalibrated five year old laptop. It looks a bit dark on mine, but I hope that will show up as appropriate on yours.

Do, please, let me know if looks okay.

Thanks and Cheers,

Thomas
aka Tom
aka Irenaeus

Godfrey

A bit underexposed and thus very grainy, but otherwise it looks like the camera is working fine.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey: #55 is very, very good

I like the vertical aspect ratio and the composition dividing the image into two, down the middle. The top, with the horizontal and verticals is a bit Mondrian, and is countered by the diagonals in the tiles below.
Topped off by the subject, which is a winner. As always, the color is nice.

Looking at this one, I think I overated your banana a bit, but hey, different genres :salute:

Keith

scho

Getting reacquainted with Ricoh again after giving up my old GRD to my daughter 5 years ago. The new GXR has a familiar feel and the controls are just where I expected to find them. Waiting for the M module to arrive so I can use my old collection of CV lenses. Using the A12 28 module for now and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Godfrey

Heya Keith,

Thanks for the compliment!

That's an interesting shot ... Not sure about the rendering, seems a little too hot in center and a little too deep on the bottom, but I think I see what you're going for.

----

Carl,

Yes indeed! The GXR + A12 28mm is a delightful wide setup. That's one reason that if the A12 Camera Mount isn't at its best with the ultra short focal lengths, I won't mind *that* much. My initial kit is going to be 28 and 50 mm lenses (42 + 75 EFL) for it, complementing the two current A12 camera units. I might also add 40 and 75 mm focal lengths (60 + 112 EFL) if it works out well. Getting something in the area of a 20mm focal length would be great but is not so critical as I have other options in that ultra-wide range and I don't use it all that often.

Godfrey

Leaf On Stone Wall

Ricoh GXR + A12 28mm f/2.5
ISO 209 @ f/8 @ 1/30 second

A return to another type of subject matter I like a lot: some still life. This looks better at a much larger size than I can display on line, best in a print, but I thought you might enjoy it.

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated as always.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Carl - lovely image.

I'm glad you have the GXR, you certainly know how to get really excellent stuff out of a variety of cameras. Looking forward to some comparisons from you

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Heya Keith,

Thanks for the compliment!

That's an interesting shot ... Not sure about the rendering, seems a little too hot in center and a little too deep on the bottom, but I think I see what you're going for.
Godfrey, this one was taken at the long end of the P10 zoom and had some noise, which meant normal rendering would not work. I wanted to highlight the juxta position of the rooftop garden and the towers. I tried to balance off the white and black top and bottom

I'm staying with square format black and white for all of this series. I really like working like that

Keith

Godfrey

Godfrey, this one was taken at the long end of the P10 zoom and had some noise, which meant normal rendering would not work. I wanted to highlight the juxta position of the rooftop garden and the towers. I tried to balance off the white and black top and bottom

I'm staying with square format black and white for all of this series. I really like working like that.
I like the square format BW notion ... that's cool.
I might have rendered that one just a little differently but eh? personal taste.
:)

scho

A return to another type of subject matter I like a lot: some still life. This looks better at a much larger size than I can display on line, best in a print, but I thought you might enjoy it.

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated as always.
Godfrey, Very nice fine detail and lighting in your leaf image.

Carl - lovely image.

I'm glad you have the GXR, you certainly know how to get really excellent stuff out of a variety of cameras. Looking forward to some comparisons from you

Keith
Keith, Thank you. Your work with the GXR tempted me to give it a try. A lovely little camera that I'm looking forward to using more and exploring it's capabilities.

Irenaeus

Welcome, Carl! It's good to see more people appreciating this great camera!

Good stuff with that P10, Keith; I think it's admirable that you're making the most of the subjects you actually have a lot of!

I see your leaf as becoming one with the wall that is already visible through it, Godfrey ~ to me, it really conveys the natural "recycling project" always going on all around us.

I'm a bit far from home for a while (though someone's looking after the house for us, so I can say so on the net) and I've got lots of nice new sights to photograph but not very much to work on them with. (Did I hear someone say, ("Just use your eyes to begin with, and that'll take you pretty far along the right way!?")

Here's a minimally processed picture part way between the two of you: an abandoned factory in a mid-western town that used to have a lot of manufacturing and now has a little more decay than they'd like....

all the best,

Tom

Godfrey

I'm a bit far from home for a while (though someone's looking after the house for us, so I can say so on the net) and I've got lots of nice new sights to photograph but not very much to work on them with. (Did I hear someone say, ("Just use your eyes to begin with, and that'll take you pretty far along the right way!?")

Here's a minimally processed picture part way between the two of you: an abandoned factory in a mid-western town that used to have a lot of manufacturing and now has a little more decay than they'd like....
There's an interesting quality to the light and color in this one, Tom.
I like it, I'm not entirely sure why just yet. I'll have to spend some time looking at it. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I like "decaying leaf", Godfrey. Works well in black and white

I get the urge to crop it down 20%, cutting out the right hand mortar line, putting more emphasis on the leaf. I love the way the stalk of the leaf crosses from one brick to the other.

Keith