The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

very nice!

Yes, the CV 21/4 (I have the P version with native M-mount) is a great lens for the GXR-M.

My kit for this camera unit is slowly coming clear to me. I bought six lenses to share between the M4-2 and GXR-M ... the GXR-M feels best with the Skopar 21, Nokton 40, Skopar 50 and M-Rokkor 90 so far. The M4-2 feels best with the Skopar 35 and 50 so far. I haven't used the Ultron 28 enough to determine where it fits yet, I have it on the GXR-M now and will work with it exclusively for a week.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Simon and Godfrey

Simon - that's a good question. Most people call the subject of my picture "BCE Place" but it is actually the Allan Lambert Galleria, which is in a building that used to be called BCE Place. That building is now Brookfield Place.
But most folks in Toronto still call this wonderful structure BCE Place

"The Allen Lambert Galleria, sometimes described as the "crystal cathedral of commerce", is an atrium designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava which connects Bay Street with Heritage Square"

I hope that doesn't muddy the waters a bit :eek:

Keith

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the update, Keith. It's been a while since I was there. I used to love going to Marché before it changed hands. My wife and I ate there on our first date.

Ciao,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lovely photos here. Godfrey, Passing and Communicating #57 are particularly nice.

I've been tempted by the GXR and M-mount module. Wonderful camera in every way, except I couldn't get on terms with the viewfinder, even though (or maybe because) I'm used to the one of the GH1. Is it that much worse or is it my brain?

Godfrey

Lovely photos here. Godfrey, Passing and Communicating #57 are particularly nice.

I've been tempted by the GXR and M-mount module. Wonderful camera in every way, except I couldn't get on terms with the viewfinder, even though (or maybe because) I'm used to the one of the GH1. Is it that much worse or is it my brain?
The Ricoh VF-2 hardware seems very nearly on par with the Olympus VF-2 and G1/GH1 viewfinders to my eye for basic quality, although a little lower magnification. However, until the latest firmware release (v1.4), the focus magnification (kind of a picture in picture view) simply wasn't up to the task of manual focusing properly. This rev of the firmware changed the magnification options to include "enlarge part" (the old way) and "enlarge all" (like the GH1's full screen magnification). The old way has been cleaned up some, the new way is smooth and seamless for focusing, and works beautifully with the Focus Assist highlighting.

There's a secondary manual focusing issue with the A12 AF camera units in that their focus servos in them are not quite precise and responsive enough for my taste, but with the A12 Camera Mount you're working with superbly precise manual focusing helicoids on the lenses ... the feel is right on the money, the ability to precisely focus exactly on what you want is there in spades.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

I have the G1, the Oly E-PL1 with VF-2 and the Ricoh - I just quickly looked at them. Subjectively, the G1 is bigger than the other two by quite a bit, but not so bright. The Oly and the Ricoh have the same brightness and clarity but the VF-2 is a bit bigger than the Ricoh. I use all three, and don't give the viewfinder any thought when I move from one to the other. They each feel very different in there own way, and the viewfinder image is just part of the story. For instance, I feel that I don't have to sneak up so close to the Ricoh to see the whole image in the viewfinder.

Keith

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks both of you. I'll give it another, longer try once the workload is a little bit less intense. In many ways, this looks like the ultimate compact camera (except that I would have preferred a built-in EVF) :)

scho

A couple of shots taken today at a local street festival. CV 25mm f/4 p Skopar on the GXR-M.

scho

Beautiful Carl - are you pleased with it?

Keith
Thank you Keith. I like the image quality of the GXR-M files and the fine detail resolution in particular. I'm not that pleased with the EVF, but I've also been using a NEX-5N with a very nice OLED EVF. The Ricoh VF-2 is adequate, but just not as nice to use as the one for the NEX.

Godfrey

Communicating #58

Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount + Nokton 40mm f/1.4
ISO 200 @ f/2 @ 1/190 second

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Irenaeus

Re: Communicating #58

Wow! #58 of a series on communicating where the ostensible subjects aren't! Advancing years are indeed capable of producing a contentment in which one can be quiet with another for a long time, but the body language here doesn't strike me as being that sort of thing.

Then there's the chair, off center, in the way...but IN focus. Why? If the photo is read as a single plane, the chair is also in between the two people. To me, it shows how clearly things used to be seen, and thought about, and shared and articulated by at least one of them. Which one has the problem? Could be either, but the woman and the chair do make a unit of sorts so, if it's something (God forbid!) like Alzheimer's, I think the picture says that she's the one who has it.

Could be the other way around, though, and she's just inured to spending her time taking care of him and is just waiting for him to finish his ice cream treat so she can take him by the hand and gently lead him home.

And, of course, each person's faculties could still be perfectly intact. It could just be that they've let themselves develop separate, parallel lives and no longer have anything to say, or to hear, from each other. They've gotten used to not communicating...

Very sad, in any case. And even if none of these cases are so for this particular couple, each of these possibilities is all too common amid the general public, isn't it?

Hopefully, OTOH, she was just thinking of something nice, he finished his dish, they got up and walked over and talked intelligently with Godfrey about street photography and its application at home by great grandparents until their latest generation of twins ~ the full blown joys of their lives ~ came back from soccer practice, played around the chair together and resumed their rightful place as the current focal point of the couple's vigorously loving lives!

(Which may help to explain why I don't post quite so often around here as I might...)

Good job, Godfrey ~ I'm enjoying your work and your insights!

Irenaeus

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
As a famous rock star once sang "Every picture tells a story"

Or maybe, stories. It would be interesting to hear Godfrey's story, now that he has had time to digest that moment.

Very interesting . . . .

Keith

Godfrey

As a famous rock star once sang "Every picture tells a story"

Or maybe, stories. It would be interesting to hear Godfrey's story, now that he has had time to digest that moment.

Very interesting . . . .
Thanks for commenting, both of you.

I don't have a definitive response to Irenaeus' interpretations of the scene ... to say what I know the scene portrays is a little too literal for my thinking. I'm very happy to see it spark so much figurative story telling although it's a little disturbing that all the scenarios you chose to ponder seemed sad to you.

I write about this series in my journal almost daily, but what I've written is not yet ready to publish. Just like the series itself is still a work in progress. :)

Godfrey

Olive Tree & Window

Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount + CV Ultron 28mm f/2
ISO 617 @ f/4.5 @ 1/60 second

thanks for looking! comments always appreciated.