The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, Keith...Mrs Shooter is not a happy camper.
Youse make it very hard to maintain resistance for the M module....
Maybe my son can order it for me and I can sneak it in the bag....
Anywayz.... Youse are doing wonderful things with this camera.
Don

Godfrey

Ben-My-Chree

Thanks Don!

Ben-My-Chree -*Dublin 2011
Ricoh GXR-M + CV Skopar 21mm f/4
ISO 2500 @ f/4 @ 1/13 second

Here's the Steam Packet Ferry at harbor in Dublin after having carried me here through very very rough seas tonight. I have never been sea-sick in my life, but tonight I came very close to tossing my cookies.*

I've been on the Ben-My-Chree twice on this trip: once on the overnight from Heysham to Douglas and again on this sailing. This was a rough ride ... made better by the fact that there were only a few passengers on board so I could lay down on the bench in the lounge and sleep through the worst of it.*

This adventure is drawing to a close:*
I'm on my own here, two days in Dublin, and then I'm off home. It's been terrific, and I have a lot of thank you notes to send!

But enough for now. Couldn't sleep immediately, but it's time to hit the sack and sleep in this Sunday morning.

Godfrey

Journey's End

The rain in Dublin is unrelenting. I'm tired and have not been out and about much in this weather.

I tried going to Howth yesterday for the Sunday market. It poured, I returned to my hotel. Rather watch a movie than come down with pneumonia. Snapped a few photos on the train and at the station ...

Looking forward to going home tomorrow. Everything is packed, my bookings are confirmed. Time for a short walk, then a movie, then dinner, sleep and away.

It has been a grand trip.

"All great journeys are circles leading home."

scho

Nothing special. Just a nice fall day for a walk around the marina (now empty of boats). GXR+CV 15mm SW f/4.5 Color-Heliar. Processed through CornerFix and LR3.5.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Carl

I'm really enjoying the versatility of the GXR. I find the Olympus Pen F lenses fit it very well (size and IQ), so I've ordered a 50-90mm zoom for it. I hope the APS-C Ricoh zoom comes soon.

Keith

Godfrey

Thanks for sharing your trip, Godfrey. Sorry its finished. Now for some sunny California pics?...
Thanks Keith! Lots of nice photos from you too!

Trip Aftermath:

I've been snowed under with stuff to do at both home and office since arriving home Tuesday evening, and been fighting a headcold as well.

But speaking photographically, I had all my exposures duplicated and into the archives the next day for safekeeping. My total number of exposures made is the lowest of any Isle of Man trip since 2002, but the total number of what looks to be "keepers" seems higher. That's a good sign. I filled one entire 16G SDHC card with still exposures and video clips so archiving the originals in situ is amazingly easy .. just click the read only button on that card and put it away until I am certain everything is copied, in the LR catalog, and backed up properly.

I'm still working out the details of "what I hadn't touched yet" vs "what I'd processed on the iPad" and how to organize and name everything. It is taking a bit of effort as this is the first time I've tried this kind of 'in the field, edit JPEGs on the iPad, later at home work on the raw files' workflow. It gets complicated due to the very different ways applications on Mac OS X and iOS save and name files.

I should have it all sorted out today, then I can get to work with some of the photo ideas I was pursuing. More when ... :)

Godfrey

Thanks Carl

I'm really enjoying the versatility of the GXR. I find the Olympus Pen F lenses fit it very well (size and IQ), so I've ordered a 50-90mm zoom for it. I hope the APS-C Ricoh zoom comes soon.

Keith
Hmm? Olympus Pen F mount is very close to the same register as Leica M Bayonet mount ... I've not found any mount adapters which go Pen F -> M-Bayonet?

How are you using Pen F lenses on the GXR?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hmm? Olympus Pen F mount is very close to the same register as Leica M Bayonet mount ... I've not found any mount adapters which go Pen F -> M-Bayonet?

How are you using Pen F lenses on the GXR?
And . . . . the winner for spotting my deliberate mistake is . . .GODFREY :clap:

Seriously, I did warn everyone I was going senile . . . truth is, I also have too many cameras. I was getting confused with my Nex C3 for which I have a Pen F adapter. I was hoping that someone would do one for the m-mount. Godfrey, are you saying that won't be possible?

Keith

Here is a big log. GXR m-mount with CV 21m

Godfrey

... Seriously, I did warn everyone I was going senile . . . truth is, I also have too many cameras. I was getting confused with my Nex C3 for which I have a Pen F adapter. I was hoping that someone would do one for the m-mount. Godfrey, are you saying that won't be possible?

Here is a big log. GXR m-mount with CV 21m ...
I like the log! :)

The mount register for Pen F is 29 mm and Leica M is 27.95 mm, so it is theoretically possible to fit Pen F lens to an M-bayonet register. However, the mount diameter and difference in the flange tab positions make it very hard to construct an adapter that will work in that tight a space .. I've never seen one sold (although I've seen a couple of Pen F lenses that were modified more drastically to fit on an M-bayonet mount).

(Note that LTM is 28.8mm vs M-bayonet 27.95 mm ... the reason they can make a mount adapter is that LTM's simple screw is just smaller than M-bayonet and there just enough difference in depth to make a precise adapter. Of course, they designed M-bayonet to enable that as Leica is totally aware that people value their lenses ... !)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Godfrey, that is very interesting. Maybe someone will do something. These lenses are just the right size for the Nex and would be the same on the GXR. The thinnest adapter I have (other than LSM - M) is my M4/3 to Nex

Keith

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey, that is very interesting. Maybe someone will do something. These lenses are just the right size for the Nex and would be the same on the GXR. The thinnest adapter I have (other than LSM - M) is my M4/3 to NEX
Maybe, but I doubt it. Olympus Pen F lenses are getting rare and are in the "collectible" pricing range now, so the market for adapters is pretty small. In the short to 135mm focal length range, there are comparably priced new lenses from Voigtländer that don't require any adapter, are similar in size, and perform better.

Though some choices ... like the 42/1.2, 65/1.5 and 70/2, 150/4 ... in the Pen F line would be nice on the GXR-M. I suspect custom adaptation of specific lenses (changing the lens mount to an M-bayonet lens mount) is going to be the way to get there. It's not so difficult to do since the LTM->M adapters are available that provide the M-bayonet male mounting flange .. just a matter of removing the Pen F mount flange, modifying the LTM->M adapter to fit and making sure the aperture actuation mechanism is working correctly and without mechanical interference.

Of course it's a one way trip: once done, the lens is no longer usable on Olympus Pen F bodies. I have a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 adapted for FourThirds SLR mount that way. For that lens it was a no-brainer as I'll never own a Konica film SLR and it is a great performing, cheap little lens that suits FourThirds brilliantly. For a Pen F "collectible" lens, I might think twice ... !

scho

A few market day snaps taken at Steamboat Landing with the GXR-M + CV 28mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar. This is one of the smallest, but actually quite heavy (solid brass construction) CV lenses. Usually quite sharp across the frame from f/3.5 to f/8.

One more with the CV 28mm Skopar, last bouquet from the garden flowers:

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Carl, I like them all but the flower shot is my favorite. The image depicts the lighting beautifully and the background bokeh works so well.

Keith

Here is, for contrast, a black and white taken in early sun today

GXR with P10 Module