The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Has anyone tried to get the M-mount from Japan - might be a better chance there?

Lovely port shots, Michiel. Looks like you had good lighting at that moment.

Here are a couple of S10 shots (vivid black and white mode)

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Should try B&W soon, but still to color addicted, I suppose.

Here to more from yesterday. It was a beautiful day.

The same day and light, only a little later on the day with the Komura, so a little more red in the sky.
That Komura lens has this old postcard look, it just can not generate a real blue sky like the Leica does.
And it is not razor sharp like the Leica but still it is quiet sharp and I like the old postcard look a lot of the Komura.
It needs a lot of contrast too.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Ordered a FD to Leica M adapter today from Kipon.

Pleased to say that they call it a Canon FD to Ricoh GXR M-mount adapter. Looks like the GXR has the attention of the adapter makers, which is good. Now if only that Pen F adapter were possible . . . . . :rolleyes:

Keith

wstam

Michiel, very nice photos of the harbor. Nice and warm color. Still summer there? :)

A photo taken taken before the storm on a cruise ship:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
LORD knows, you guys are killing me. I am fighting the good fight against using the M module. Youse here make it a fight I probably can't win.
Have mercy on an ole' shooter.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hello, thank you WeeSin! Even when it's cold the sun can shine :) Nice image!

Keith, just today I had a small walk with the Canon FD adapter on it.
Also used the 20/2.8 but nothing really interesting.
It is quiet hard to focus. I have to check infinity.

The 28/2 handled a lot easyer.

Michiel

Arne Hvaring

I'd put in an order with your favorite retailer and wait for the A12 Camera Mount to be delivered. That's what I did when it was announced ... I put in my order in June-ish and it was delivered in mid-September. I'm very glad I did, I was second on the delivery list.

I acquired a base set of lenses (CV 21, 28, 40, and 50 mm, M-Rokkor 90) while I was waiting, and also an M4-2 body to play with them on as well.

Now that I have this gear ... and yes, it's everything and more that I was hoping it would be ... I'm bent on using it and maybe tuning my lens kit as I find (and can afford) the select Zeiss and Leica lenses that improve on the CVs for me. But I know for certain already that the camera and the lenses work well and are not the limiting factor in my photography. ;-)

I have little interest into buying "Yet Another System". But what I've seen thus far from other users' photos, the NEX 5n does better with RF lenses than the NEX 7 so if I were to go for a Sony, I'd pass on the 7 and stick with the 5n.

And I rediscovered how much I love using a Leica M in the process too. I'll complement the GXR-M with a Leica M8 or M9 (likely the latter if I can be patient enough) soon ... although I think I'm jonesing for the M9-P now. Sigh. At least that will keep me in one lens mount system. ;-)
I have a NEX 5n arriving in a couple of days and just ordered a bunch of adapters, including the interesting Hawks. The idea was to use the Sony for my collection of (mostly) old SLR/RF lenses and other fun stuff, and dedicate the Ricoh to the M-lenses. Thing is my M9 has been in Solms for nearly two months (new 1.4/35 Lux FLE was heavily back-focusing and had focus shift, so both it and camera went back) so I'm getting a wee bit impatient:rolleyes:
But I guess your advice is sound; order the GXR-M and hope for the best:)

Godfrey

;-) Ah, the camera addiction. =8^0

Occasionally I get a bug to pick up a NEX 5n and viewfinder and compare them against the GXR ... but that's "another thousand dollar camera body" and I'd rather put that thousand bucks into the fund to buy the M9-P over the M9.

Sorry to hear that your M9 is lingering with the technicians at Leica. Patience. One thing with either NEX 5n or GXR ... this front and back focusing issue cannot happen since you see exactly the image the sensor does when you focus.

Arne Hvaring

My next Leica will be the M10, hopefully they have sorted out the focusing issues by then...
The M9-P is sweet, particularly the chrome, that would be my choice if I didn't already have a M9. Once one has experienced the crispness and "presence" of the non AA filtered files, there is no going back, IMHO. The Ricoh seems to have some of that magic too..

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
LORD knows, you guys are killing me. I am fighting the good fight against using the M module. Youse here make it a fight I probably can't win.
Have mercy on an ole' shooter.
Put your order in now, Don. Won't have to pay for it until next summer :deadhorse:

Keith

Godfrey

... The M9-P is sweet, particularly the chrome, that would be my choice ...
I will buy a black M9 or M9-P ... I've always preferred black cameras although why I couldn't tell you. They look more "businesslike" to me, I guess.

---
Don, just give in. It's worth the money. ;-)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks Keith, your a sport. My buddy just bought one on eBay and got it delivered from china in 4 days. I'm going to try to borrow it on the weekend. My Crons are already dancing on the shelf....

Godfrey, I may have found a way to get it without spending $$$...
I'll know this weekend...
Thanks....

Agnius

I have a NEX 5n arriving in a couple of days and just ordered a bunch of adapters, including the interesting Hawks. The idea was to use the Sony for my collection of (mostly) old SLR/RF lenses and other fun stuff, and dedicate the Ricoh to the M-lenses. Thing is my M9 has been in Solms for nearly two months (new 1.4/35 Lux FLE was heavily back-focusing and had focus shift, so both it and camera went back) so I'm getting a wee bit impatient:rolleyes:
But I guess your advice is sound; order the GXR-M and hope for the best:)
I picked up a 28mm f2.8 Asph here on forums, and I found the lens at infinity hard stop to be focusing "beyond infinity". At first I thought the lens was soft, but with "live view" I was able to attain proper focus by pulling back. As there is still warranty, I am very inclined to send the lens back to Leica to be adjusted. Should I send it to N.J. or straight to Solms?

Michiel Schierbeek

Sold some more lenses, so I bought the Zeiss ZM Biogon 25/2.8 :D
This lens shouts; sharp sharp sharp! Great for architecture.
A beauty on the module, like it was made for it.
(ssst, don't tell my wife)

Michiel

wstam

Michiel
Hi Michiel, this is my favorite lens on GXR :) When only bringing one lens out, this will be the one for me. Forget to mention that the B&W photo on the stormy sky I posted above was taken with this lens.

Nice photos :thumbup:

Arne Hvaring

I picked up a 28mm f2.8 Asph here on forums, and I found the lens at infinity hard stop to be focusing "beyond infinity". At first I thought the lens was soft, but with "live view" I was able to attain proper focus by pulling back. As there is still warranty, I am very inclined to send the lens back to Leica to be adjusted. Should I send it to N.J. or straight to Solms?
Two possible explanations here, either your lens is overfocusing (happens, but rare with Leica M-lenses in my experience) or your lens is fine, but the M-module (I assume that's what you are using) has a tiny bit shorter sensor/flange distance than Leica. If you have the chance, try a few other Leica lenses and see how they behave.
In practical terms, for the lens you mentioned, the only downside would be that you'll have to actively focus to get sharp infinty instead of using the hard stop.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel, this is my favorite lens on GXR :) When only bringing one lens out, this will be the one for me. Forget to mention that the B&W photo on the stormy sky I posted above was taken with this lens.

Nice photos :thumbup:
Weesin, I was wondering which lens that was. Can you post some more with that biogon? Any idea where I could buy an alternative cheaper non threaded hood?

Michiel

Godfrey

Michiel

Beautiful, Michiel!

I've been very very impressed with every image I've seen made with that lens. I don't need it right now, but it's on my list. Sell a few things I no longer use and it will be "free" ... ;-)

Godfrey

Two possible explanations here, either your lens is overfocusing (happens, but rare with Leica M-lenses in my experience) or your lens is fine, but the M-module (I assume that's what you are using) has a tiny bit shorter sensor/flange distance than Leica. If you have the chance, try a few other Leica lenses and see how they behave.
In practical terms, for the lens you mentioned, the only downside would be that you'll have to actively focus to get sharp infinty instead of using the hard stop.
The GXR-M focuses dead on for infinity at the infinity stop with all the CV, Leica, and Zeiss lenses I've tested on it. Unless there's a lot of variability (very unlikely IMO), I doubt there's anything wrong with the mount register. It's more likely that the lens is slightly off calibration on the focusing mount. Not a big deal to have that adjusted.