The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

I have the little pocketbook in the Photofile serie of Thames & Hudson. Actually a real nice serie and not expensive.
Bought it a few years ago and I was pleasently shocked by his work made relativly long ago. In a time that documentary photography ruled.

There is a wonderful exhibition right now here in Amsterdam of his work. Quiet a nice slide show if you click on!
Now that's just great ... I'm going to have to find some more of Saul Leiter's work ... :)

Thanks for posting the link!

Agnius

Lots of nice images! Thank you for sharing!

There is a closeup I took with GXR-M & Leica Summarit 50mm.

Godfrey

Man Reading

Ricoh GXR-M + Nokton 40mm f/1.4
ISO 308 @ f/2 @ 1/60 second

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Michiel Schierbeek

Good one Godfrey. He must be reading a good book!
I was wondering; did you shoot this hyperfocal from the hip?
It looks like you were quiet close to phothograph unnoticed.

Michiel

Godfrey

Thanks Keith and Michiel!

Good one Godfrey. He must be reading a good book!
I was wondering; did you shoot this hyperfocal from the hip?
It looks like you were quiet close to phothograph unnoticed.
He was about a meter and a half away from me, I was sitting at the next table in a very small cafe. I use the LCD to focus on his face rather than the viewfinder as I could not get my eye to the EVF at the right position without making a rather disruptive movement. I was able to make two exposures without disturbing him. We chatted for a few minutes after that when he looked up from his book to rest his eyes.

With f/2 on the 40mm lens, I was pleased that the GXR was able to provide a focusing view (4x magnification and Mode 2 assist) that worked even at a distance from the LCD ... and the level display also helped quite a lot to keep it almost on plane where I wanted.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Keith and Michiel!
He was about a meter and a half away from me, I was sitting at the next table in a very small cafe. I use the LCD to focus on his face rather than the viewfinder as I could not get my eye to the EVF at the right position without making a rather disruptive movement. I was able to make two exposures without disturbing him. We chatted for a few minutes after that when he looked up from his book to rest his eyes.

With f/2 on the 40mm lens, I was pleased that the GXR was able to provide a focusing view (4x magnification and Mode 2 assist) that worked even at a distance from the LCD ... and the level display also helped quite a lot to keep it almost on plane where I wanted.
Just after posting I realized that you could have been sitting at another (lower) table.
Thank you for your elaborate (as always) explanation. :)

BTW :OT: Don't drink to much coffee in all those coffeeshops!

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel - your color palette is very interesting, can I ask how you are processing these?

Keith
In the first place, as you know I am always on the lookout for colours.

I made some screendumps of what I did with this photo, not very spectacular I suppose. White balans was on auto.
Because of the more or less complex situation of daylight and artificial light mix I had to work with the colour sliders to get especially the daylight situation right.
First screendump is the original with the settings I made contrast etc etc.

This is after I moved the Temperature and colour sliders temp. 4800 and colour + 22 based on my memory.

Usually with the Ricoh and good lenses I don't go higher as 33 with the contrast, but somehow with this one it needed more and I even add a little with the black slider.

Sharpening was set to 78 ( less then I usually did with the GH2 )
Beam 1,5
details 25
mask 33

Luminance 21

But every photo is different, of course.
But I don't mind to use the colour and temperature sliders.
Usually I also use local contrast till about around 20 and vividity too.
Saturasation I use sparingly. Can be to much rapidly.

That's about it.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks for that, Michiel. I have always been a bit "frightened" of the color temp sliders. I too have been using saturation much less and relying on vibrance. I am entranced by these street scenes of very strong color, so I will do some experimenting. You are right, you have find the color first, before you can process it.

Thanks again

Keith