The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Michiel Schierbeek

No need to be angry. The A12 Camera Mount is excellent. Presumably the A16 will be too, if the rumor is true.

I need another body anyway. Although an M9 body is in the plan for 2012, the GXR-M is my main camera nowadays.
Can imagine the more M mount lenses one becomes, the more one wants a full frame body for it. At least that counts for me. Still don't know that has to be the Leica for me, I hope for something new with an EVF.
But in the meantime the Ricoh is a joy with the A12 and/or A16 module.
Love the files it produces.

I am not really angry, of course, but Sony must have stopped them to use the 16mp sensor in the first place. They might as well waited a few month's and come up with 16mp module to start with.
The A12 is still not available in Europe anyway.
The whole bussinesplan looks a little strange to me.

Well but then some wouldn't have had the fun with this one. :cool:

Michiel

Godfrey

Can imagine the more M mount lenses one becomes, the more one wants a full frame body for it. At least that counts for me. Still don't know that has to be the Leica for me, I hope for something new with an EVF.
But in the meantime the Ricoh is a joy with the A12 and/or A16 module.
Love the files it produces.

I am not really angry, of course, but Sony must have stopped them to use the 16mp sensor in the first place. They might as well waited a few month's and come up with 16mp module to start with.
The A12 is still not available in Europe anyway.
The whole bussinesplan looks a little strange to me.

Well but then some wouldn't have had the fun with this one. :cool:

Michiel
Based on my experience in the computer and consumer electronics industry, I would bet you that Sony didn't stop them from anything. Timetables did.

- The A12 sensor is excellent and they started the development process with it.

- When the 16Mpixel sensor became available, they already had too much work and time involved in the 12Mpixel to stop, retool and rework for the 16 without delaying the project too far into the future.

- Once the 12 was out the door and into production, (and by the way proved a massive sales success on its first run ...!), the development team could refocus all its attention on the 16 Mpixel sensor. If the factory needs to run another batch of 12s before the 16 comes available, so be it: the machinery is in place presuming they can get the components.

For me, it's better that a company follow through on a development plan all the way and make an outstanding product on a known sensor than to either delay interminably or do a half-baked job with something new for its theoretical improvements. I'm very pleased with the A12 Camera Mount, it makes a great camera, and looking forward to a nice upgrade to a 16 Mpixel version now.

Regards the format ... that's a totally different decision in my book. I like APS-C and FourThirds. I want an M9 for other reasons ... the larger format is one of them, but it's more the overall weight, size, handling and rangefinder layout. It's a very different camera from the GXR-M or any other mirrorless TTL camera.

The nice thing is that the lens kit I've assembled works for both formats. That was my goal starting out down this path.

Michiel Schierbeek

I lined it on purpose!
It is one of my favourite spots and I will certainly go there again and try to make some more reliëf with the rooflines along the horizon.
The problem is there is only a small spot at one level to shoot this view without breaking my neck. :)

Many years ago I made this one with the E-300. Also almost in line.

BTW I have a Minolta CLE, like new, and I had a Bessa R4a but I think I prefer the new electronic way with focus peaking etc.
And I like to print big so I would like to use a bigger sensor.
A more versatile camera which can also use longer lenses, I like to work with.
Who knows what the future brings.
But I am not complaining I really like the Ricoh as it is, too.

Thank for your comments!

Michiel

Godfrey

The problem is there is only a small spot at one level to shoot this view without breaking my neck. :)

BTW I have a Minolta CLE, like new, and I had a Bessa R4a but I think I prefer the new electronic way with focus peaking etc.
And I like to print big so I would like to use a bigger sensor.
A more versatile camera which can also use longer lenses, I like to work with.
Who knows what the future brings.
But I am not complaining I really like the Ricoh as it is, too.

Thank for your comments!
You're welcome!

I like the TTL electronic way too, but have just as much affection for rangefinder operation. They're very different ways of working focus and framing with a camera, that's all.

More pixels is what you need to make larger prints, not necessarily a larger sensor, but of course there's a bottom line where you need photosites of X size for good sensitivity, dynamic range, etc, which ultimately governs how many pixels you can get.

I tend to print relatively modest sizes in this age of the gigunda print. However, I'm having a customized 20x35 inch canvas print made of a GXR-M image (cropped from full frame by about 40% even!). Scene dynamics and the intended use and aesthetic of the image all affect sizing decisions... :)

Agnius

Hmm. A bit on the overexposed side there, Agnius, at least on my display. Probably pull it down easily if you captured raw as nothing looks totally over-saturated. I like the photos anyway!

Obsolete A12-M?
I don't care, it's probably for the better. I still find my much more obsolete Olympus E-5 and I expect the obsolete Epson R-D1 (due to arrive tomorrow-ish) are fine cameras to work with. ;-)

Godfrey,

Looks pretty good on my monitor - I use 2.2 gamma with 6500k, but I haven't profiled in a while. I'll look into the issue. It's beach after all, and it was quite bright. I think I overexposed by 1 stop, and still had to open up shadows for the skin tones.

And yes, if FF M10 comes out with LiveView, I will probably get that. Meanwhile, Ricoh GXR-M makes a good travel camera.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Am I glad or am I angry :poke::(:angry::grin: ??

Just bought the bloody thing! Time is moving to fast!

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ricoh-will-launch-a-new-a16-m-mount-module/

Michiel
I take two days off to do some nice b & w stuff on one of my large collection of full frame cameras and suddenly the world changes. A16 mount and A16 zoom?! I'd better start reading.
This is the way I see it. The 5n sensor is already reckoned to be better than the Nex 7 sensor. After Ricoh has worked it over will be the best APS-C sensor out there. There will be a bullish market for used A12 mounts.
I think I'll call Popflash - but Godfrey probably has beaten me to it :D

Keith

Godfrey

I take two days off to do some nice b & w stuff on one of my large collection of full frame cameras and suddenly the world changes. ...
I think I'll call Popflash - but Godfrey probably has beaten me to it
Ya gotta keep up, man! LOL ...
No, not yet. I'll wait for a Ricoh announcement. ;-)

Michiel Schierbeek

I hope for a new, as sturdy body, as well.
Still I feel a little fooled, but I think the reason for this fast follow up is that the 12mp sensors are also no longer in supply.
For the time being I keep my module. Like it to much :)

It probably will take month's before the new one will arrive!
But I am sure there will be a lot for sale soon.

Michiel

V

Vivek

The situation regarding the 12mp vs 16mp sensor is confusing and ridiculous. Apparently, the new generation 16mp sensor is so much better in terms of energy consumption, S/N ratio, DR, etc. The Ricoh takeover of Pentax also could be another reason. Rumors are also rife regarding a FF mirrorless cam coming from them.

All this, do not make the new A12 M module obsolete. I enjoy the images it produces. Particularly, the ZM25 images are very impressive. :thumbs:
That lens could be served even better by the rumored 16mp sensor.:)

Godfrey

Lovely, Michiel.

Im quet because I have a deadline and all my creative energy is going into that. cant wait for the holiday break!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Michiel - I'm quiet because I'm packing up my Ricoh gear to set off for a cruise tomorrow. By Jan I think you guys may be fed up with me . . . .

Lovely images - keep'em coming

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel - I'm quiet because I'm packing up my Ricoh gear to set off for a cruise tomorrow. By Jan I think you guys may be fed up with me . . . .

Lovely images - keep'em coming

Keith
Of course not Keith, you know that....

And please start a P A D or whatever you wanne call it. I wanne see every corner and detail of that ship in focus or out of focus, the sunsets and sunrises and destinations.

Don't you think you are going on a holiday :ROTFL:

Have a nice trip :thumbs:

Michiel