The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

V

Vivek

There are some fleeting rumors that the rumored A16 might also get a Pentax K mount or an an adapter. Plus a swivel LCD.

=> There could be a new body in the horizon.

V

Vivek

All M4/3 and 43 stuff is almost gone exept that Olympus 45/1.8 I recently bought. That is such a lovely lens. May be I buy a tiny steel Olympus body for it when they get cheeper.

Michiel
Michiel, If you decide to let go of that (not that I need another in that focal length range :eek:), drop me a line.

Duane Pandorf

Part 2 of the Freezing fog series:

This is a very nice series but what caught my attention the most were the pheasants. If my Springer could only smell and hear them through my computer..... as we didn't make it out to South Dakota this past fall to hunt.

Godfrey

Godfrey - magnificent portrait. Common, open up, what are you buying next?
Thanks! A PITA subject, but I really liked the tones and rendering.

Hmm. Next camera is ...

... as I've been talking about for a bit. Arrives tomorrow.

Should be a good complement to the GXR, eh? It'll use most of the same lenses ... ]'-)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks! A PITA subject, but I really liked the tones and rendering.

Hmm. Next camera is ...

... as I've been talking about for a bit. Arrives tomorrow.

Should be a good complement to the GXR, eh? It'll use most of the same lenses ... ]'-)
Congratulations Godfrey. This should be very interesting . . . :)

Please keep us informed here in "other cameras" - I go over to the red dot forums now and again, but I get a bit lost in there.

And keep the GXR pics coming. It will be tough dividing your time between these options.

Keith

Duane Pandorf

I decided to register on this site due to a used Ricoh GXR A12 Mount that's for sale on the forums here. As I perused the site I found all of you GXR users posting photos here and hopefully you won't mind if I join in on occasion.

I only have the 28mm module and am enjoying the kit very much. I've also made a challenge for myself to post a photo a day on my blog for this year. I can see that will be very challenging.

The M mount is also calling me and I see most of you are shooting with it here in your examples. So I may have questions as that looks like my next piece of gear I will add to my kit. I don't own any M mount lenses but my first M mount lens will probably be the Voight 35mm f/1.4. I like the size and it will give me a fast prime "normal" lens to carry.

I travel for my job and work a 7 on 7 off schedule and can be anywhere in the world during that week of work. It's why my DSLR stays in the bag and found a nice sized camera to always have with me.

So sorry for butting in and hope you don't mind me hanging out a bit here.

Agnius

Duane,

Welcome and looking forward to see your photography. Your travel might present you with great opportunities!

Best of luck, and welcome to "the club".

Godfrey

So GXR-M is just a gateway drug... ;)

I am waiting to see what M10 brings to the table myself.
Not at all. The GXR is a far more versatile system. I can use it easily with ultra-telephoto as well as macro lenses. It's smaller, lighter, and I can fit camera units that make it into anything from an AF compact point and shoot ultra-zoom to a serious semipro-grade camera tool. I can make videos with it. I can use it with an optical finder, with an EVF or with its LCD. It's very customizable and can be tailored to exactly what I need for a given project.

The beauty of the M is that it is a totally minimalistic, limited camera. It does one thing best—make still photos—with an optically coupled rangefinder focusing/viewing system. It only supports lenses from about 12mm to about 135mm, has one metering mode, no AF, and either manual or Aperture priority exposure control. It's also a different, larger format camera than the GXR.

Using the GXR and M4-2 side by side for the past five months, I have come to appreciate what both of them do for me when I'm shooting and love them both. The only difficulty with the M4-2 is that it requires about four hours of tedious work for every 36 exposures I make with it, which I find slows down the development of my seeing with its format too much. The solution was to get a digital version of the same thing ... that uses the same lenses since I have them already ... and keep on doing what I am doing. :)

Godfrey

Congratulations Godfrey. This should be very interesting . . .

Please keep us informed here in "other cameras" - I go over to the red dot forums now and again, but I get a bit lost in there.

And keep the GXR pics coming. It will be tough dividing your time between these options.
thanks!

I intend to be using both cameras just as I've been using the GXR and M4-2 since September. But I'll shoot more with the M9 than with the M4-2 because it's simply so much less time consuming and more flexible to work with digital capture than with film.

Godfrey

Butting in? No problem at all, Duane. I look forward to seeing your photographs!

Although I might advise you to consider a Nokton 40mm f/1.4 rather than the 35mm f/1.4. They're quite similar in size, but I find I prefer the slightly longer focal length of the 40mm on APS-C format.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, a thousand thank-yous for suggesting the GXR-M to me: I shot an interior today with the CV 15/4.5 and the EVF (with mag. + peaking) and... believe this or not folks, easier to use than the D3/D3s with the 14–24/2.8.

I wish you luck with the M9: I can afford one, but the fact that there is no swivelling EVF; no EVF at all and definitely no peaking means it's a no-no for me. I really hope you like it!

If Ricoh ever comes out with a FF GXR, they will take over this niche. Ergonomics, EVF, peaking, and configurability (and being actually able to save settings) puts this little toy ahead of the Nikon pro. bodies, for me. The CV lens quality is a major, and (to be honest) unexpected bonus.

Thank you again; this has to be the #1 under-appreciated camera on the planet.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Welcome Duane - I have followed your images on the other site, and I like your blog a lot.

Welcome Kit. You said it all - this camera is so under appreciated. I fail understand it. My favorite reviewer/commentator is Michael Reichmann and even he is selectively ignoring the importance of the GXR. He's reviewed it but then spends most of his time pixel peeping Sony Nex cameras against M9s. I think Sean Reid is the only guy who "gets it"

But the wave is turning very fast. As long as I can buy my stuff without waiting for it, I'll be happy.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is Niagara taken from my hotel room this morning as sun rose. It is minus twelve degrees and the first time I have ever seen those railings near the falls with no people behind them.
Had to do a three shot HDR to capture the feeling of the light.

GXR with P10

Keith

Godfrey

@ Keith :: nice shot of the Falls! You do get around!

@ Kit :: glad to hear the GXR-M is working out so well for you! 'Tis indeed a great and unique camera. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Godfrey.
Under normal road conditions Niagara is just one hour from my home :). We are overnighting for a light show this evening.
Here is another at the other extreme of the P10

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Exellent Keith. Better in black and white I suppose. The last one oehhh... the start of a new Hitchcock.

@ Godfrey, congratulations withe your long awaited Leica. I am not afraid you're leaving us, you're all over the place. :)

@ Kit, nice to have another promoter for this exellent and inventive system.

Michiel