The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Woodmancy,

I shoot DNG, then convert them to jpegs in Aperture. If you want to check out the detail of the file, check out my blog at My current thoughts then click on the image. Somehow getdpi.com resses down the jpeg for display.
I checked your blog, Agnius. On your front page you show square crops, and I really like this image done that way. But, as you can see from most of mine, I am a square person :)

Keith

Agnius

Godfrey: I see you are saving the mount for that "special" lens. ;) Keep us informed on your journey!

David: Aurora in Scotland? Must be an active year for the sun! Or Chinese New Year celebration. ;)

Braeside

Hi Godfrey and Agnius,

We haven't had the combination of a clear sky and a visual aurora here since 2005. The spell around the last solar cycle peak was very good here with many displays that went well overhead us to the south. We are at 56.6 degrees North here, but our 'magnetic' latitude is not as far north as those in North America, so we don't get as many as equivalent latitudes over there.

Clear again tonight, but activity has declined.

Keep an eye on www.spaceweather.com for alerts of possible aurora.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bob,

We both have the GXR and NEX-7. Do you see the 12 MP difference?
The Ricoh files always surprise me in crispyness and sharpness, but one have to really experience it in the bigger prints.
Somehow especially your first photograph of the pond strikes me as crisper then the ones in the NEX thread about the same subject.

Kind regards,
Michiel
Hi Michiel,

There is a suprising amount of sharpness in the GXR that is not at first apparent in the NEX-7. Easily seen in the raw file however it does not always pan out as being the better file...depending upon subject matter. And both of those NEX files are hard to evaluate ... one too far away the other .... poor focus point. I have added a couple more in that thread in order not to cross post - these show a bit more detail for sharpness...tree reflection in water in one and perhaps the far bank in the other. I tend not to oversharpen and personally think the second GXR picture borders on too crisp.

The resolution overall of the NEX-7 does not just give a bigger file...it seems to have somewhat more subtle tonality and is a more robust file with regards to PP in my eyes. The Ricoh has such sharpness and good color that little is needed...but beware pushing the file much as it tends to breakdown a bit more quickly.

Initially I felt I would be dropping the NEX cameras in favor of the GXR but after a trip to the coast and this recent wooded scene I feel somewhat more strongly in favor of the NEX. The subtle tones and DR of the NEX-7 are very surprising...street scenes do not usually have enough high frequency visuals to see it...need a big expanse of water, hills, trees etc.

YES the NEX-7 menus are unbelievable ... poorly designed but once you configure the programmable buttons you rarely need them while shooting. I treat the camera like an ALPA TC....on a monopod set distance on lens (MF Lenses) and then fine tune with magnification on critical elements. Once the scale is set you rarely need to redo it for a given setting.

Please understand that the GXR is not going away...it will see a lot of time for evening, travel, portraits etc...

NOW if the Fuji X100 would just get a decent manual focus mode and peaking...great lens wonderful bokeh and colors and fabulous sharpness.

The main weakness of the NEX-7 is color cast....I have learned how to correct in RAW without a reference file to a great extent so it is now a lesser issue. And the NEX file takes a fair amount of capture and output sharpening without becoming too brittle.

Glad that I have them both...wish the GXR would upgrade sensor and screen.

Bob

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Processing files from a camera without an AA, coming from handling files from the "regular" cameras takes a bit of practice.

I was shocked at how delicate the M8 files were when I first processed them. Sharpening, contrast and such is needs to be handled with care.

The NEX-7 files come with a fairly flat curve and they are better that way too.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Bob for your extensive answer.

Very nice and subtile series you are doing with that pond with both your cameras!

It is true the NEX files have more headroom, also in the high ISO area (I lik shooting at night) then the Ricoh.
But indeed as Vivek says it is better to not touch, files like the Ricoh produces, as much as you think you should.
Less sharpening, contrast etc.

Did not sense any colourcast yet but as I said I did not tryout the lenses which do.
The Zeiss lenses work nicely but I still need an autofocus lens for streetshooting, especially when there are people involved.

Well still a lot to find out for me and please not another camera for a while (Fuji) :eek:

Can imagine you also work with an Alpa for landscapes. Would love to myself, I was thinking about a Cambo Wide RS Body (WRS-1000). A Dutch brand.
But that seriously counts up and I can not justify that.

Best regards, Michiel

docmoore

Processing files from a camera without an AA, coming from handling files from the "regular" cameras takes a bit of practice.
Very true Vivek!

I have had M8, M8.2 H3DII 39 Phase P20 and now Leica S2-P. No primary regular cameras for quite a while.

I agree that one must exercise care with these files however the GXR seems a bit less robust than the M8(.2) and the others. I wonder if CMOS pushed compared to CCD might explain part of it. Probably take a few more hundred pics to wrap my thoughts out on that one.

Bob

docmoore

Did not sense any colourcast yet but as I said I did not tryout the lenses which do.
The Zeiss lenses work nicely but I still need an autofocus lens for streetshooting, especially when there are people involved.

Can imagine you also work with an Alpa for landscapes. Would love to myself, I was thinking about a Cambo Wide RS Body (WRS-1000). A Dutch brand.
But that seriously counts up and I can not justify that.

Best regards, Michiel
NO colorcast from the ZF lenses but I saw it even at 35 on the Leica Summicron 35 Asph...wickedly so on the VC 15. At 50 it is a non-issue. Lloyd Chambers has a series of color casts with different Leica lenses...of interest is that the new Zeiss NEX 24 1.8 Sonnar has none...not sure if it is corrected in camera.

The ALPA is gone...with the H3DII 39 - now a Leica S2-P and there are days I miss it...as I also miss my Mamiya 7II with 65mm lens. I gain a lot with the new camera but still use the old workflow. The Cambo Wide RS is gorgeous and has been improved a lot recently...a good choice. However you are right...the final 10% image quality jump is a far leap with regards to expense.

Bob

Godfrey

Godfrey: I see you are saving the mount for that "special" lens. ;) Keep us informed on your journey!
LOL! My partner video'ed me opening the box (a hysterically funny video, actually, as he is most seriously NOT a camera person... ;-), and then I set the camera to make a snapshot of me and the now unboxed camera. It took him 10 tries to get me and the camera in focus, not jiggle the camera when he released the shutter, etc. I completely forgot to stick a lens on the M9 in the melee.

The first day's snapping I did with the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 (and a couple of shots with the Color-Skopar 21mm f/4). Then yesterday at the USS Hornet I carried the Ultron 28mm f/2, Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 and Hektor 135mm f/4.5. The light in the Hornet was all over the map so I can't really say much about how the full-frame sensor treats it yet, but here are a bunch of quickie processing (using LR4 PB):

MobileMe Gallery

At lunch today, I processed this one from raw using PhotoRAW and Snapseed on the iPad 2 ... just to see if I could, of course. :)

Leica M9 + Hektor 135mm f/4.5

Handheld at 1/80 second so a little softer than I'd normal want for this kind of photo. But not bad for a 1960 lens! :)

Godfrey

I was shocked at how delicate the M8 files were when I first processed them. Sharpening, contrast and such is needs to be handled with care.

The NEX-7 files come with a fairly flat curve and they are better that way too.
I don't find the E-5 or GXR files to be terribly difficult to work with, and they both have no or very very little AA filter. The M9's files are trickier, but I think this has much more to do with the lenses I'm using on it combined with the format size than anything to do with the lack of AA filter.

Yes, anything with light or no AA filter takes a gentler hand on sharpening and noise control than files from a camera with a medium or heavy AA filter, but that goes without saying.

Godfrey

Communicating #69

Communicating #69 - Santa Clara 2012
Ricoh GXR + CV Nokton 40mm f/1.4

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

Agnius

Re: Communicating #69

Communicating #69 - Santa Clara 2012
Ricoh GXR + CV Nokton 40mm f/1.4

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.
Great expression on the boy - I almost want to say he is thinking anything but what his father is telling him.

I like it a lot.

Nicely done!

Duane Pandorf

Thought I'd post my first image. Had a quick layover in Paris and managed to get into the city for a couple hours. Wanted to get a shot of the Eiffel Tower, but wanted something a little different. GXR with A12 28mm lens: