The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Rich M

I've been following this forum closely and appreciate all the wonderful work exhibited here.

Godfrey......I am looking forward to the compilation of your "Communicating" series.

I think this is odd......but I love taking pictures of rocks. Here, they seem to have so much, for lack of a better word, identity .

It only makes sense. In Hawaiian mythology, the peaks of the islands of Hawaii are sacred. In fact, an ancient law allowed only high-ranking tribal chiefs to visit its peaks. So, the rocks that in the course of time that have tumbled down the slopes, still contain some of that mana (spiritual power).

I spend hours out there......crazy, I know.

I took this with my new favorite lens.....the CV 75/2.5 (LTM). Shot at @ f/5.6.

R

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Communicating #69

Great expression on the boy - I almost want to say he is thinking anything but what his father is telling him.

I like it a lot.

Nicely done!

+1 Godfrey! Good moment!

@ Duane, Nice Eiffeltower shot from the Steel bridge!

@ Rich M; Good to see you here, I don't mind you love rocks! :)

Michiel

Agnius

Duane: Nice photo of Eifel Tower - I love the drama of the light beam. Framing with steel girders also works for me. Nice!

B

Barakkah

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie at this forum, though I have been following this nice thread for a while and I must say you deserve all respect for sharing your experience and photos taken with the Ricoh GXR. I got also excited about this camera and thinking on to get one. I'm an enthusiast, currently possessing a Canon 5D (the classic mark I) and although it has given me some pleasure with the output it produces, many times I don't feel like going out with a bulky DSLR, were it not for some special occasion. So, I would like to do a switch and GXR with the M-mount module along some nice M glass are quite tempting to make the plunge.

However, I would like to be sure from first-hand experience what are the potentials in the raw images this setup provides. I'm especially drawn towards getting a Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 lens. Would you be so kind, of those who own such a lens with Ricoh GXR M, to share with me a full-resolution DNG sample, so that I could sees and do some experimentations with it, what are the limits (pushing exposure, etc.)? Of course, strictly for such private usage. I would be very happy. Many thanks.

Godfrey

Barakkah,

Welcome to the GXR Photographers Thread ...! ]'-)

This is a great camera. Although this past week I've posted a bunch of photos made with the M9, the GXR is actually the camera that's been in my bag most of the week and from which I have a bunch more photos to process. It is a great shooter.

The Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM is on my hot list of lenses to obtain. I want it for both the M9 and GXR. Seeing Michiel's photos with it makes me drool ... ugly thought, but there it is. ;-)

G

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is taken using the m-mount and a Minolta MD 28-85 zoom. This zoom suits the GXR really well - nice rendering and sharpness. Handling is good too as it adds a bit of weight for stability.

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

This is taken using the m-mount and a Minolta MD 28-85 zoom. This zoom suits the GXR really well - nice rendering and sharpness. Handling is good too as it adds a bit of weight for stability.

Keith

Good idea and nice photo! As you know I love reflections.
It is a rather small sized zoom indeed, I believe.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Barakkah,

The Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM is on my hot list of lenses to obtain. I want it for both the M9 and GXR. Seeing Michiel's photos with it makes me drool ... ugly thought, but there it is. ;-)

G
Take it easy, Godfrey. I am sure sooner or later that lens will be in your posession and you will not be dissapointed.

BTW I tryed it on the NEX 7 and it has blue/cyaan casting indeed. I just don't bother to use it on that camera. I bought the razor sharp 28 Contax Zeiss Distagon but the diafragm isn't working so it's at our best repairman here in Holland together with my 90 Leica Elmarit.
I made already a lot of nice photographs with that lens. I brought it because the diafragm was moving to sturdy and then the man said; there is haze and the beginning of fungus.
It's no problem, it will be as new as it returns.

Regards, Michiel

Braeside

I recently bought the Zeiss 25mm also, it is probably my favourite lens. Just a small note, I am on my 2nd copy, the first had a stiff focus ring with some backlash. I returned it for exchange and the replacement is fine mechanically. So make sure if you buy new that they have a good exchange policy.

Michiel Schierbeek

I recently bought the Zeiss 25mm also, it is probably my favourite lens. Just a small note, I am on my 2nd copy, the first had a stiff focus ring with some backlash. I returned it for exchange and the replacement is fine mechanically. So make sure if you buy new that they have a good exchange policy.
Congrats David!
Hope to see some more of your results soon, although I hope it is not as freezing cold as overhere at the moment.

Michiel

Godfrey

Take it easy, Godfrey. I am sure sooner or later that lens will be in your posession and you will not be disappointed. ...
Don't worry, I'm not in any rush at all. I haven't even tried all my current lenses on the M9 yet ... So far I used the Color-Skopar 50 for most, a few with the Ultron 28, a couple with the Color-Skopar 21 and Hektor 135. I've now put the M-Rokkor 40/2 on the camera and I think I'll shoot with that for a while as it seems to perform beautifully. I've got it set to the Summicron-M 35mm f/2 (11310/11311) correction code and there seems to be no color shifting and beautiful resolution across the board this way. (Really must get a coding kit or have these lenses coded as it is a bit of a hassle to set the lens corrections manually.)

I suspected the Biogon 25 would have difficulty on the NEX 7, thanks for the confirmation. I think that SLR lenses are a better choice to adapt to the NEX cameras ... the Leica R and Contax/Zeiss SLR lines provide a lot of wonderful choices, never mind the Nikkor AI, Olympus OM, Pentax M42/K and Canon FL/FD. The longer RF camera lenses do well on the NEX models too, but shorter focal lengths get very tricky: they're just not designed for these lenses like the GXR-M is.

Braeside

Congrats David!
Hope to see some more of your results soon, although I hope it is not as freezing cold as overhere at the moment.

Michiel
Thanks Michiel. Our weather has been rather mild, but there is a possibility of it turning colder this week. I like the cold weather for photography generally, as we get some nice atmospheric shots.

Godfrey

@ Agnius :: intense color, sir! :)

@ Rich M :: lovely strong B&W. I particularly like the third, wonderful shapes and geometries.

I've finally wrenched the Nokton 40 off the GXR and fitted the Ultron 28. That's what I'll be shooting with the GXR for the next week. (It's kinda as comparison to the M9 with the M-Rokkor 40/2 in a way. The latter combo has become welded together, it seems. A wonderful setup!)

Looking forward to seeing what I see with these this week.

Rich M

Thanks Godfrey.

:OT: A little off topic......your M-Rokkor 90mm.......is it the Leitz version or the later CLE? Is there a difference between the two?

R