The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

More superb photos.

I've been out of the shooting loop the past few weeks for a couple of boring reasons. Hope to get back into the groove soon.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks David.
Godfrey, we are waiting :)
Duane; nice compo with the waters through the green.

Here are two from Queensday in Amsterdam. So much in the streets that one doesn't know anymore what to shoot.

Michiel

Godfrey

Five Alarm Fire - Santa Clara, CA

Why you should always have a camera with you ...

Full set of photos and a video: Fire! - Santa Clara www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/7172720508/in/set-72157629669918112/lightbox/

That's the condominium complex next door to where I live in Santa Clara. I saw the blaze as soon as I exited the freeway at Winchester and headed north to Santa Clara ... It was huge! Didn't realize it was right next door to home until I turned down the street and saw our street blocked off by police and fire services.

Photos and video made with the Ricoh GXR + A12 28mm camera unit.

Godfrey

Well I hope all you're stuff is ok Godfrey! That's awful close!
Thanks!

We're fine. There was no danger to our place as the wind was luckily going the other direction ... most of the danger was from airborne embers. Our condo is an older, concrete and steel high-rise anyway, unlike the more modern all-wood structures that burned.

The smoke danger would have been nasty, but with the prevailing wind it didn't present any issues.

G

Duane Pandorf

Thanks!

We're fine. There was no danger to our place as the wind was luckily going the other direction ... most of the danger was from airborne embers. Our condo is an older, concrete and steel high-rise anyway, unlike the more modern all-wood structures that burned.

The smoke danger would have been nasty, but with the prevailing wind it didn't present any issues.

G
BTW, have you ordered the new Leica M Monochrom?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
No. I have no interest in a monochrome only digital camera. It's only interesting to me as a technological exercise.
The files that Sean Reid has shown on his site from the Leica evokes the same kind of positive wow factor to me as I used to get from my Sigma DP1. The Sigma had an appeal in both it's colour and black and white files that struck me as better than those from Bayer array sensors. Unfortunately the Sigma died a nasty death when it took the brunt of me falling over. I aim to replace it soon.
There is an interesting rumor floating around about a possible collaboration of Ricoh and Leica. If a black and white sensor for M mount appears, I will get it.
I've just spent a few months away from my GXR focusing my attention on my Nex cameras. I picked up the 'GXR yesterday because my half case for my M mount arrived, and was again reminded that the overall design, feel, and interface is better than either the Sony 5n or Nex7. I do need more pixels though, because I do a lot of cropping.

Godfrey

I'd just work on using longer lenses and doing less cropping, Keith. :)

The photo of the firemen above is about 50% of the frame and holds up well enough for a good 6x8 print. Visiting the store and playing with several other similar cameras, the GXR remains superior in feel and layout to me too. I've debated going entirely to the Leica but the GXR is simply too competent and versatile to want to let go of.

I'm sure as a specialty piece the M9M is brilliant. I don't get the same wow factor from looking at the samples you do, tho. It's just not tickling my gotta have it buttons at he moment. Who knows? Never say never.

I'm very happy with my current gear, just wish I had more time to work with it. Life is busy as heck right now.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Don't get too busy Godfrey, we're missing your stuff around here.

Shooter has got me fired up with the way he sets up his A12 28 (on the other forum), so I'm going to brush the dust off mine and try to get some more images here. All of my pics have been going into the Sony threads.

Keith

Godfrey

Don't get too busy Godfrey, we're missing your stuff around here. ...
Thanks for the compliment!

Although I'm not shooting much at present, my photo book workshop is in progress and I've been spending all my limited free time working on the book I'm making out of the Communicating series. I did a first draft output of the book to work on the sequencing and verbiage, prepping for a proof cycle, just the other evening.

This is a first draft cover ... preliminary title, not quite finished layout, but the idea is there.

The cover photo is a three-exposure GXR panorama stitch.

The results of the workshop will be featured in a reception and book signing event at Modernbook Gallery, 49 Geary, San Francisco, CA on the evening of August 2, 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Books will be available for purchase, of course, and there should be both hard and soft bound options. I'll be sending out formal announcement and invites in the next four to five weeks.

Last edited: