The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

:) Giacomo Agostini I guess, that 4 pot MV Agusta was a beauty!
Yes indeed, Ago was a brilliant rider. There were racing MV Agusta fours and triples, depending on the years—all of them quite lovely.

Ah for the days of Count Domenico Agusta and his passion for the Gran Prix! That's an age gone past now.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Fed up with waiting for the A16 M-mount

. . . so I bought this.

It is full frame and "dressed up" for sneaky street photography :D. Works like a charm, buttery smooth, and has the extra Ricoh touch of a fast lever wind on the bottom.

Taken with my new A16 zoom (Michiel noticed :))
This is a nice set up. The sensor is what you would expect - very good indeed, a Nex5n sensor without the AA filter.
Zoom is large, but light and balances well with the camera. Haven't had too much time with it, but will soon change that

Keith

Last edited:

Thorkil

Re: Fed up with waiting for the A16 M-mount

. . . so I bought this.

It is full frame and "dressed up" for sneaky street photography :D. Works like a charm, buttery smooth, and has the extra Ricoh touch of a fast lever wind on the bottom.

Taken with my new A16 zoom (Michiel noticed :))
This is a nice set up. The sensor is what you would expect - very good indeed, a Nex5n sensor without the AA filter.
Zoom is large, but light and balances well with the camera. Haven't had too much time with it, but will soon change that

Keith

QUOTE]

...and just as if its new:eek: !
please let us know if you got inside-rumours about the 16Mp M mount, just about considering the 12Mp M, BUT the other one might just appear tomoroow..or a day after...
thorkil

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thorkil

I think an A16 M-Mount will most likely appear in fall. They obviously have the sensor and the the know-how. The only question is will they skip this sensor and go to the next generation (whatever that may be)

Depending on personal circumstances I would hold off for now on the A12 - I think news will start leaking in the next couple of months.

Keith

Thorkil

Thorkil

I think an A16 M-Mount will most likely appear in fall. They obviously have the sensor and the the know-how. The only question is will they skip this sensor and go to the next generation (whatever that may be)

Depending on personal circumstances I would hold off for now on the A12 - I think news will start leaking in the next couple of months.

Keith
thanks for thoughts. Have been thinking in the same direction. And all the others are out with 16Mp, so they can't risk waiting too long, or they might be pushing us/costumers over to the enemy’s.
Thorkil

Godfrey

thanks for thoughts. Have been thinking in the same direction. And all the others are out with 16Mp, so they can't risk waiting too long, or they might be pushing us/costumers over to the enemy’s.
An A16 Camera Mount would be nice, but I still find photos with the A12 Camera Mount to be as good or better than anything I see out of its competition in the TTL electronic class with my M-bayonet lens kit, so no risk of me going anywhere else for the present. And of course, I've already succumbed to buying the M9, which seems to be what I pick up most by default these days.

I do want a Leica X2 for other reasons, however, so Magpie Syndrome continues. :)

... oooh, shiny thing ... ! ...

Thorkil

an M mount 16Mp should be a substitute for a M9, and yes the 28mm already delivers fantastic pictures and colours, but I'll try to be patient for another few months.

Godfrey

an M mount 16Mp should be a substitute for a M9 ...
Well, yes and no.

- Totally different focusing system and viewfinder feel, as well as overall ergonomics and feature set.

- The sensor format differences causes photos made with the two cameras, despite using the same lens, to have a different feel entirely due to the differences in FoV-DoF coupling.

- The cameras respond differently too - different shutter lag, different exposure to ready cycle, etc.

I find them to be complementary, but not substitutable. Of course, if I couldn't afford the M9, I was quite happy shooting with the GXR-M for nearly everything. :)

Thorkil

Well, yes and no.

- Totally different focusing system and viewfinder feel, as well as overall ergonomics and feature set.

- The sensor format differences causes photos made with the two cameras, despite using the same lens, to have a different feel entirely due to the differences in FoV-DoF coupling.

- The cameras respond differently too - different shutter lag, different exposure to ready cycle, etc.

I find them to be complementary, but not substitutable. Of course, if I couldn't afford the M9, I was quite happy shooting with the GXR-M for nearly everything. :)
Yes I know, forgot to write, that it for me would be a substitute, while having a M6, yes I really liked the M-doing of things and enjoyed doing presetting, and would love that M-feeling again, and the GXR don't give it, but one can live with it, although it doesn't come near the M-feeling, but its smaller, light, the shutter is almost silent, and it seems to be almost invisible too, and are able to do the presetting too...and I do take the most pictures with it, and a lot easier to carry than my D800E, and perhaps that +4Mp woun't give a mighty difference...but patience one should be a healthy thing..:)

Godfrey

Lovely, Michiel! :)

Yes, we should all shoot on contentedly with the excellent equipment we already have.

I'm off to the Sierra foothills today ... will bring either the Leica or the Ricoh, haven't decided yet. Either one will make great photos.

Duane Pandorf

Lovely, Michiel! :)

Yes, we should all shoot on contentedly with the excellent equipment we already have.

I'm off to the Sierra foothills today ... will bring either the Leica or the Ricoh, haven't decided yet. Either one will make great photos.
Morning Godfrey,

Look forward to seeing your Sierra shots. BTW, I was able to handle my first M9 last week while in Barcelona (story and photos on my blog) and I can tell you I'm even more excited to be shooting with my Ricoh GXR for travel. As I felt the M9 was too big for my needs.

I'm sure I'd really really like the images from the camera, but I felt it was a bit big for my needs.

Michiel Schierbeek

Aha contentedly it is. I was in doubt but to lazy to look it up. :)
And thanks again Godfrey! I am concentrating a bit on landscapes lately.

BTW Can't you take both with you? You can slide that Ricoh in your pocket :) and use the same lenses. Would be nice to see some new input from you here.
Although I usually take the NEX-7 and the Ricoh together with be, but it is a bit confusing. Mostly I end up using one of them instead of switching all the time.

Have a nice trip.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
.......Although I usually take the NEX-7 and the Ricoh together with be, but it is a bit confusing. Mostly I end up using one of them instead of switching all the time.

Michiel
I agree with that. My Nex 7 has gone, I could not get on with the interface. Back to the GXR, and it seems like a breath of fresh air.

Here is another from the A16 zoom. I like it a lot, but remember, I am a zoomer :D

Keith