The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Duane Pandorf

Nice interview. :) And I like the photo with just one pair of legs ... it adds something.

The M9 is very small for a full frame camera, and in physical size remarkably similar to the GXR-M with comparable FoV/speed lens and viewfinder fitted. Put up against the FF DSLRs and it's no contest as to what's smaller. The nicest thing about the M9 is that it has few protrusions other than the lens so it slips more easily into a slim bag without catching on stuff, unlike both the DSLR and the GXR-M with viewfinder. But it is a larger, heavier camera than that GXR and feels it. Both feel tight and dense, the M9 more so.

I like 'em both. :)
If money were not an issue, I'd have an M9.

Duane Pandorf

Indeed a nice interview, Duane.
Very personal and it is a big compliment for Ricoh as well. It is not just this camera but also all those good MF lenses - I have almost no AF lenses -which make you far more aware of what you're doing before you take the shot. At least that is my experience.
Besides the great files the Ricoh produces, of course. I am glad Keith forced :D me to buy one.

Very rarely I need, for my style photography, a fast AF lens, but there are situations I missed shots, because manual focussing was to slow.

This summer the Tour de France is passing by near our village in France, where I live mainly at the moment (just retired from teaching art school). How will I get good shots from those seconds of action?
Pre focussing or buy a AF zoom for my NEX-7. Well I'll see.

Thanks for the link.

Michiel
I envy your location for the Tour. I cycled a lot when I lived in San Diego years ago. I'd just use a wider lens and zone focus with a stopped down aperture.

dunders

Subscriber Member
This summer the Tour de France is passing by near our village in France, where I live mainly at the moment (just retired from teaching art school). How will I get good shots from those seconds of action?
Pre focussing or buy a AF zoom for my NEX-7. Well I'll see.

Michiel
I usually use a Pentax AF for the TT, but this year I tried the GXR/A12 with an old Elmar 4/135. A little practice with zone focussing and panning gave me the first image I posted here.These guys were going quite fast, too:

Godfrey

Good work, Señor Paul!

Autofocus with tracking is only really useful in motorsports and fast moving activities when you're doing sequence captures, in my experience. Even the pro shooters working with single exposures use manual focus and timing most of the time.

My best shots of the Manx GP and other motorsports events have always come after I turned off AF. :)

Godfrey

Communicating #74

This is the last new photo I'll post as a PESO when adding to the Communicating 2011 series, made with the Ricoh GXR-M + M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 lens. There are still many photos I made for this series that I haven't processed as yet; as time permits I will add them to the Flickr set.

To visit the Communicating 2011 series set on Flickr.com, use this link for the header page: Flickr.com - Communicating 2011

Godfrey

Announcement & Invitation

Announcement!

I have published my first photo book named Ways Together which features photos drawn from the Communicating 2011 series. It is now available for preview and purchase from Blurb.com:

Ways Together
Studies in Distance and Closeness

Godfrey DiGiorgi

With foreword by Brooks Jensen, Editor LensWork Publishing

For more information, visit my Blurb.com bookstore:
Godfrey DiGiorgi on Blurb.com

Invitation!

Ways Together will be featured along with eleven other new photo books in a reception and book signing:

ModernBook Gallery
49 Geary Ave
San Francisco

Reception and Book-signing
August 2 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm

You are cordially invited to attend and enjoy the celebration! Wine will be poured!

Books will be available at the event in hardcover and paperback editions (cash, check, or Paypal via pre-order). To reserve a signed and numbered copy for the event, or to order for delivery by mail, please send an email to [email protected].

I hope to see you there!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
July issue of Shutterbug says that Ricoh left the AA filters off the S10 and P10 lensors - the M-mount was not the first :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of a picture
GXR with A16 zoom

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

For photographing the Tour passing by I followed Duane's advice and used my Zeiss Biogon. All shot @ 5.6.
First time I saw it for real. Nice and quiet a commercial circus as well.
I had the NEX-7 there as well, but I left it alone after a while, because I did not buy the 18-200 tamron for it yet. And of course in the hectic I pressed the movie button, the worsed placed button of all buttons. Then it's over.

Here are some shots (quiet a lot:deadhorse:).

Tête de la course

Robert Geesink; the Dutch hope, quiet a good climber.

Duane Pandorf

Well it looks like the weather was perfect for the stage that passed your way Michiel!!!

I've heard that movie button is always getting in the way on the Nex7!

Godfrey

Artist sketching I passed while in Rome last week for two hours.
GXR & Leica Summicron-C 40mm
Always like how the Summi-C (and its sibling, the M-Rokkor) render! Nice.

I've been away from shooting for a bit, just too freakin' busy the past few weeks. But I just stuck the Skopar 28/3.5 and a Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder on the GXR. Set it to f/5.6 and lined up the zone focus on 10' (5' to infinity in focus). Lessee what comes out of that.