The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
With all of the uncertainty about the future of the GXR if you see an opportunity for a deal on the A16 zoom, I would take it. Same sensor as in the new GR and a great lens.

Keith

Thorkil

Hi Keith
Yes, one ought to do so, but I will also need the GR, while it's so fantastic handy and real-life-pocket-size. And I just bought, first a K-30, but unsupported in C1, then a K-5II, but didn't notice that I really should have bought a s-model, while it’s so much more sharp without this AA. But I would also like a OM-D too + the 7-14 Pana. And in some weak point I'm thinking of getting a Nikon once more, just a D600+just the new 18-35.......hhmmm....an when those things happens, I try to sit totally still, no movements, just staring out of the window for several minutes...it helps.
Thorkil
(but still…you are right Keith)

dunders

Subscriber Member
With all of the uncertainty about the future of the GXR if you see an opportunity for a deal on the A16 zoom, I would take it. Same sensor as in the new GR and a great lens.

Keith
Indeed I have just done so, Keith! I'm having a tourist-y week in Italy soon, and I want to take minimum kit. SWMBO becomes rather impatient if I spend too much time fussing with the camera. :rolleyes:

Godfrey suggested taking the M module with - say - a 28 and a 90, but his lovely Voigt 28 is unavailable and any of the Leicas would break the bank.... I tried to justify a NEX-6 to myself (with the kit lens - quite a small but competent package), but as the A16 is currently less than half the price it's a no-brainer, really. Which is just as well, in my case :)

I await the postman.

Paul

Thorkil

Paul...then, you must promise to post some Italy-pictures!
Thorkil
(but perhaps take the 15CV on the M-module with you while you will need the wide in the small city's perhaps)

Godfrey

Cactus Flower

A quick snap ... the cactus put out eight blooms this spring, they're huge, but they only last a day or so.

Ricoh GXR-M + Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-D
ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/25 second

enjoy!

heymatthew

As-promised above, here are a handful of shots from this past weekend's trip to Atlanta. We went to Party in the Park and had an absolutely killer time. A quick note about processing will follow the images. Enjoy.

Group Shot

Two Sets of Young Lovers

Subway Fashion:

Take a Walk:

MARTA:

Going Down:

*This Escalator was almost sickeningly steep. It really felt like we were going to just hit the floor face-first when riding down. It's kind of surreal to ride it.

Snack Shop:

A note about processing for anyone interested:

All of these were OOC JPEGs that I processed in Lightroom 4. I adjusted the Exposure as well as the levels via the Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks Sliders. I also added just a few points of Clarity (which I usually do). In essence, these are pretty raw JPEGs.

I'm still blown away by the quality of this camera. It really does produce almost film-like images (I know how over-used that term is, but I just can't put it any other way). I buy and sell camera gear a lot, but I can definitely see this camera sticking around.

Godfrey

Very nice, heymatthew!

BTW, I've noticed a shift in saturation with Lightroom 4.4 final release now when processing GXR DNG files. I have the camera set up such that in the past its out of camera JPEGs and the default raw settings matched pretty closely. With the same settings, I now see a bit of oversaturation in the reds/magentas.

Guess it's time to recalibrate and update my processing defaults ... :)

G

heymatthew

Very nice, heymatthew!

BTW, I've noticed a shift in saturation with Lightroom 4.4 final release now when processing GXR DNG files. I have the camera set up such that in the past its out of camera JPEGs and the default raw settings matched pretty closely. With the same settings, I now see a bit of oversaturation in the reds/magentas.

Guess it's time to recalibrate and update my processing defaults ... :)

G
I haven't tried DNG files yet. I haven't really found a need to. I guess if I shoot low-light or long exposures, I might want to try some DNG stuff just so I can really push the NR in Lightroom. But it's interesting that you see a bit of over-saturation in the reds/magentas. I see it a little in the greens in my processing, which happens to be opposite of the magentas that you're seeing. I might have to do a test where I shoot the same scene in JPEG and DNG and see if the JPEG engine is pushing greens while the RAW files are being tweaked towards the opposite end of the spectrum by Lightroom. Maybe over-compensation for the GXR's fondness for greens?

Interesting...

Also, thank you for the compliment on my images. I'm rather pleased with them.

dunders

Subscriber Member
To Keith:

Well done, Paul - I am sure you will love it. I have all of the modules and this one is my favorite.

Keith
It's your work with it that made my mind up to try it. My only reservation (and the thing that made me flirt with the idea of Nex-6) is the over-all size of the thing: the smaller the better, and the NEX kit lens is small when retracted. I think I have made the better choice. I hope (!).

To Thorkill:

Paul...then, you must promise to post some Italy-pictures!
I will - if SWMBO allows me time to focus....:rolleyes:

(but perhaps take the 15CV on the M-module with you while you will need the wide in the small city's perhaps)
Here lies madness. If I did that, I'd soon talk myself into the CV Nokton 1.5/50 (just in case there's not much light...) - and then the Elmar 50 with the ELPIK (maybe need to do some macro work....) - and then the Elmar 135 (just in case I need the reach...) - and then the Micro-Nikkor 200 (just in case the 135 isn't long enough...) - and then 2x TC.... In the end I'd have to decide between all that or the wife. God, I'd miss her.... ;)

Godfrey

I haven't tried DNG files yet. I haven't really found a need to. I guess if I shoot low-light or long exposures, I might want to try some DNG stuff just so I can really push the NR in Lightroom. But it's interesting that you see a bit of over-saturation in the reds/magentas. I see it a little in the greens in my processing, which happens to be opposite of the magentas that you're seeing. I might have to do a test where I shoot the same scene in JPEG and DNG and see if the JPEG engine is pushing greens while the RAW files are being tweaked towards the opposite end of the spectrum by Lightroom. Maybe over-compensation for the GXR's fondness for greens? ...
Working with the raw files opens things up a bit. You're in complete control of the sharpening, for instance ... the GXR does a good job, but sometimes it can smudge fine details a bit. You have a lot more headroom for adjustments.

Here's what I found ..

BEFORE:

ADJUSTMENT:

AFTER:

I work mostly raw processing as, overall, I find it simpler when shooting not to have to consider image rendering issues. I concentrate on basic exposure and focus, framing and timing. I make the rendering decisions later. It's nice when I can get very similar results from the raw defaults as I see from the JPEGs, makes it easier to manage the tweaks from baseline processing. :)

G

Thorkil

Paul :)....then you better listen to Keith...(and keep the wife)...or perhaps delay the travel and wait for the new Ricoh GR, which definitely will fit in your pocket...the GR is expected by the end of the month (and you don’t have to worry about zooming, several primes etc…just shoot…and same sensor)
Thorkil

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have been away from this thread for a while; but if I only needed two stills bodies, the GXRs would be the ones I'd choose. But because I needed practical video too, I went for a pair of NEX 6s.

And because I have been out of this thread for a while, what are the rumours re. the new GR? Ah: just searched. The fixed EFOV 28 on APS-C sensor.

I was wondering about a GXR replacement—any rumours there?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . my bets are on another GXR body. If not, the current one is already a classic.

Keith

A16 Earlier this year in Tucson