The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

Good to see GXR photos posted again! Almost tempts me to hunt up another ... but I have the Leica CL now, really don't need to buy another camera!

Pulling up one of my old favorites from 2011:

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/5 @ 1/9 second

enjoy!
G

scho

Good to see GXR photos posted again! Almost tempts me to hunt up another ... but I have the Leica CL now, really don't need to buy another camera!

Pulling up one of my old favorites from 2011:

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/5 @ 1/9 second

enjoy!
G
Nice! I may eventually end up with a CL, but I will wait awhile and see how I get on with the old GXR.

scho

Today I put the CV 15/4.5 III on the GXR and used it pretty much as a fixed focus camera. Set aperture to f/6.3, focus point between the 3m and INF marks, and just shot with those settings on my walk.

Godfrey

Nice! I may eventually end up with a CL, but I will wait awhile and see how I get on with the old GXR.
It's interesting to compare the two cameras.

The Ricoh GXR with A12 Camera Mount unit has a slightly more ergonomic shape and feel to its body with more configuration settings to work with. The removable, tilt-up EVF is handy, but on the downside it's a bit fragile and the EVF is 2009 spec performance (kinda poor by today's standards). Accepting the EVF as good enough, it can be configured very nicely to suit your shooting needs and works very well.

The Leica CL is a much simpler, more refined camera to work with. It has fewer customizations available, but IMO needs fewer to work well. The EVF is modern quality and on par for the camera class. Speaking only from the perspective of using M and R lenses on it, Leica's lens profiles ensure that nearly all their lenses perform beautifully on the CL. I've found it to also work very nicely with the Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 and a couple of Nikkor SLR lenses (28/2 AI, micro 55/3.5 PreAI) as well. The CL has the feeling of a "just slightly smaller but half a pound lighter Leica M" to it, and the controls are similarly mostly easy to learn and use.

Both cameras have a solid, quality feel to them and produce very high quality DNG files that render well using Lightroom. The CL's WiFi remote control app is a nice plus; the fact that the Ricoh can be used with a wired remote is a nice plus too (wish the CL had that).

Both are great cameras, really. I was very happy using the GXR in its day, and as I learn and use the CL I'm getting the same "great performance in a nice compact package" joy out of it too.

G

scho

A few shots taken using the GXR with the CV 25/4 Skopar and Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 in the Ithaca Children's Garden.

Reactions: B L

Godfrey

A couple of shots taken with an old Leitz 90/4 M-Rokkor on the GXR. ...
I have the same lens ... it's a really nice, tiny little thing with excellent optics. The early ones were made in Wetzlar and are identical to the Leica Elmar-C 90mm f/4 except for the lens bezels that say "M-ROKKOR" and have the standard JIS 40.5mm filter thread instead of the DIN filter and hood setup.

One of my favorite GXR photos made with this lens:

Bicyclist on Jurby Road
Sandygate, Isle of Man 2011

Ricoh GXR-M + M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

enjoy!
G

scho

Another old repro of a sunflower field in Lansing, NY. Ricoh GXR + Contax G 28/2.8 Biogon. They keep rotating sunflower fields so hard to keep track when going back to re-shoot.

B L

Another old repro of a sunflower field in Lansing, NY. Ricoh GXR + Contax G 28/2.8 Biogon. They keep rotating sunflower fields so hard to keep track when going back to re-shoot.

Carl, This is a beautiful image. I have a chance to buy Contax G 28 (Miyazaki coverted to M),whats your opinion about this lens. Asking ptice is aroung 600+ GBP. Thanks.

scho

Carl, This is a beautiful image. I have a chance to buy Contax G 28 (Miyazaki coverted to M),whats your opinion about this lens. Asking ptice is aroung 600+ GBP. Thanks.
The M mount converted Contax G Biogon that I used for this and other shots with the GXR performed very well with the A12 mount sensor. Unfortunately it has serious problems on full frame Sony sensors (corner/edge smearing) so unless you intend to use the biogon only with M mount APS-C sensors like the GXR A2 mount design it won't be very useful with modern, FF cameras.

B L

The M mount converted Contax G Biogon that I used for this and other shots with the GXR performed very well with the A12 mount sensor. Unfortunately it has serious problems on full frame Sony sensors (corner/edge smearing) so unless you intend to use the biogon only with M mount APS-C sensors like the GXR A2 mount design it won't be very useful with modern, FF cameras.
I will give it a miss because I have sevaral lenses in that focal length and many others collected over past 25 odd years.