The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24mp with Zeiss lenses a contender?

DavidL

With the Sony 24mp full frame body just around the corner, at a rumoured comparatively very low price. Could this be a serious contender if you add quality Zeiss optics to the equation. I know it won't replace the Nikon, Canon domination of the press world but could it make high resolution images more affordable. Important when taking into account the current state of the worlds economy.
I'm just musing and taking a break here. As a bus pass owner, currently with a heavy work load and getting over having to do a complete computer reinstall during this busy period (You don't have to feel sorry for me) I was just considering the above combination.
It seems Sony are serious about their 35mm range, and a fellow photographer is seriously considering the sony option. He currently shoots on MF 28mp and Nikon 12mp and it's the lure of that "Zeiss" logo that is tempting him. Like a lot of use older photographers we look back with great fondness on Zeiss lenses. Him on Hasslebalds me on Contax 35mm.
I am just interested in comments from the discerning community at GetDPI.com while I prepare myself for driving around the UK again next week.
David

Hank Graber

I have been watching. I've been looking at the Olympus E3 and the current Sony A700. I want in body IS and Canikon don't look like they are going to offer it. The control layout on the A700 is exemplary. The Zeiss 24-70 looks like it might be the best mid-range zoom available. The Olympus lenses are equally stunning but the possibility of a 25MP 24x36 A900 has kept me from going the E3 route.

It looks like Sony is dead serious and may be super aggressive with prices to get a place at the table. Plus more Zeiss lenses are on the way. Can't wait for fall.

Terry

Interesting however the A350 didn't fare so well at DPReview when you started getting higher in ISO. Not sure how this sensor will be different or what their processing engine will be like so it will indeed be interesting to watch.

Hank Graber

I don't think anyone will be challenging Nikon and Canons high ISO performance this year. But IS in body is good for 2 stops which makes your ISO 800 usable in ISO 3200 light with better IQ.

Pentax, Olympus and Sony have produced very credible cameras. The Pentax having not just IS in body but custom focus adjustment for each lens. When shooting hand held with mirror slap you can be loosing fine detail even at 1/250. Add to that the fact that a little back or front focus is not that uncommon in lenses and you can wind up with your $2,000 lens performing like a $150 kit lens resolution wise.

Based on the A700 I'd say the Sony will not disappoint. Although if I had an MF kit covering the high res end I'd go for the Olympus E3. I think those Zuiko lenses are the equal of Zeiss or Leica.

N

nei1

What Im interested in is the effect of all those pixels.The dp1,for all its faults definatly gives a 3D effect that I have never seen before,smell and taste seem to be entering the experience when viewing some photographs taken with this camera.I dont think Ive ever seen a real full resolution print from a megapixel medium format back so I dont know if 25 m pixels will give me that dp1 effect but in a large print.Or is that"window on the world"a reserve of foveon sensors and the rest of the megapixel race just more and more detail?I dont know ,does any body have any idea what Im talking about?I could so easily be wrong as Ive not really seen these mega pixel images,but if they can lead to a kind of hyper reality then my interest starts to pick up.
Hank,thats a good point but IS only makes a difference if nothings moving and if nothings moving you could use a tripod.regards,Neil.

Last edited:

Lili

"The Pentax having not just IS in body but custom focus adjustment for each lens"

LCT, That statement you take issue with actually does mean that Pentax has in-body IS as well as lens adjustment.
What is getting me is just how fast progress is changing and adding features to these cameras.
I agree with Neil, I am not sure more MP is necessarily 'better'.
Some of the work I've seen from the DP1 is astounding.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I made an odd discovery yesterday while trying the A700. While I find the ergonomics of the camera rather good, and well suited to the size of my quite normal hands, the vertical grip is so much thicker than the horizontal one that the camera became noticeably heavier to hold that way. It may be that the conventional grip is narrower than on the cameras that I'm used too, but I'm afraid I would feel uncomfortable with the difference between the two anyway.

Apart from that, it seems to be a great camera, and I will undoubtedly try the A900 when it arrives. And some of those lenses, like the Zeiss 85 and 135mm.... wow!