The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some E3 Landscapes (mostly with 7-14)

jonoslack

Hi There
In the spirit of fairness I've been using my E3 a bit in the last few days (partly because it keeps tonking it down with rain).

Anyway, here are a few landscapes from today I think they're all with the rather lovely 7-14 lens.

Processed in Aperture and Viveza.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very nice, Jono. I really like your style of landscape photography, and I'm learning here (trying to, anyway).

Last edited:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono,

These are beautiful images. Thank you. As for the 7-14/4 ZD lens, how does it compare with the Nikon 14-24/2.8 AFS?

Kind regards,

jonoslack

Hi There
Martin and Cindy - thank you - glad you like them. I consciously rather 'overcooked' the processing, really to see how people would respond, Cindy likes the least processed, and Martin the most . . . . so I'm still at a loss!

Jorgen - I'm no master at this, but I try and look at the scene 'flat' (2 dimensional) as it seems to me that the photos that work best are where the sky is 'integrated' into the landscape (or could it be the other way around). Getting a structure seems to be the problem, especially when the land is so flat.

Ocean - thank you, I'm glad you like them. Comparison between the 7-14 Zuiko and the 14-24 nikkor is interesting - I think they must be similar designs. Both of them are almost distortion free at the widest end, and both show a very tiny amount of pincushion at the long end - really not enough to worry about. The Olympus is a little smaller, but both have scary front elements. My gut feeling is that the Olympus is a little sharper at the corners except at 7mm (it improves quite a lot even at 8mm). I'd say that it's an honorable draw (they are both better at 24mm than the Zeiss f2.8 ZF lens in every technical respect)

For me the main reason for sticking with the 4/3 kit is the lenses - the 12-60 Zuiko is just as good as the Nikkor 24-70 as far as I can see, and the 50mm f2 macro is perhaps the sharpest lens I own. The 50-200 is also splendid, although it's bokeh does leave a little to be desired.

Martin S

I use the Canon 5D, 40D, and the Olympus E-3. Both systems have advantages, and disadvantages. Some of the Olympus lenses are stellar - 7-14 mm, 12-60 mm, 50 mm macro and even the 50-200 mm. The Canon system does better in high ISO noise, and has great dynamic range (5D). The Olympus system has difficulties with clipping strong highlights, but is usually smaller, and lighter.
As usual, neither system is perfect in all respects. But, then again, what is??

Martin

jonoslack

I use the Canon 5D, 40D, and the Olympus E-3. Both systems have advantages, and disadvantages. Some of the Olympus lenses are stellar - 7-14 mm, 12-60 mm, 50 mm macro and even the 50-200 mm. The Canon system does better in high ISO noise, and has great dynamic range (5D). The Olympus system has difficulties with clipping strong highlights, but is usually smaller, and lighter.
As usual, neither system is perfect in all respects. But, then again, what is??

Martin
Absolutely - I use the D3 and M8 with the Olympus.
I don't have a problem with clipped highlights on the Olympus, but I always make absolutely sure to meter for the highlights - you can tell from these skies! Mind you, you can get trouble with noise in the shadows then, there's no free lunch.
I think Olympus need a better sensor - when you look at the difference in pixel density between the 40D and the 3D (3 vs 4) you realise that the problem is not the size of the sensor, but the quality of it. They do the colours so nicely, but not the high ISO noise.

jima

Hi Jono,

I do envy you that 7-14mm - it's simply superb. Of course, in the hands of a master - I especially like #1 and #3.

Jim

BTW you were right - the D300 is now an ex-D300 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Completely stunning skyscapes, Jono !
Do you use some ND grads or polarizers to always get such blue skies with distinct and dramatic clouds ?

jonoslack

Completely stunning skyscapes, Jono !
Do you use some ND grads or polarizers to always get such blue skies with distinct and dramatic clouds ?
HI Steen
sorry for the delay - been in Finland
No - no grads, no polarizers - it's just our stunning skies;)

I have done a little post processing in Aperture and Viveza though :)

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

lovely work - my favourites are 5 and 6, I've been playing with the E-3 and 7-14 this week on our holiday to Norfolk... 5 bracketed shots, dragged into PhotoAcute can give a superb result wrt dynamic range, and depth of colour.

I'm thinking of putting together a brief tutorial and some comparison shots, I'll let you know when it's done.

In the meantime, here's a quick example (hope you don't mind me adding to your thread - I'm loving the E-3 + 7-14 combination!)

Cromer Parish Curch
E-3 + ZD 7-14

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Lovely Shot Brian
Cromer eh?
If I threw a stone very hard I might hit you!
I was in Norwich this morning.

Steen - I am, of course, extremely good at everything:ROTFL::ROTFL:
But I'm afraid I must give a little credit to my helpers:
Olympus
Nik Software
Apple Software
erm.
Nature
The sky!

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

it's a lovely part of the country, but I'm glad to back on the high ground... I did quite a bit of work for the Environment Agency in flood control, so I get a bit nervous on land below sea level!

I'd like to get up to Scotland for some landscape photography either late this year or early next...

Kind Regards

Brian