The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New gig, four thirds micro

V

Vivek

I am looking forward putting my 9.8mm f/1.8 Tegea monster (M-mount) to use on this. With my Epson R-D1s, the "micro" 4/3 is a welcome development.

20mm camera registry? Fabulous!:)

I hope, Olympus will also supply an M to M4/3 adapter. Otherwise, I will have cobble one out myself.

jonoslack

I am looking forward putting my 9.8mm f/1.8 Tegea monster (M-mount) to use on this. With my Epson R-D1s, the "micro" 4/3 is a welcome development.

20mm camera registry? Fabulous!:)

I hope, Olympus will also supply an M to M4/3 adapter. Otherwise, I will have cobble one out myself.
Ah, Vivek
you might be able to make a good business out of the 'cobbling'. I'm sure there will be lots of people who want one. I'm more interested in my 75 'cron becoming a 150mm f2!

V

Vivek

I am sure there will be a variety of adapters from HK/PRC in time, Jono. :)

I have the 50/0.95 Canon as well.

Most interesting would be the tiny lenses, C-V 15mm, W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm and the like.

Anyone has any ideas when these cameras will debut?

Riley

Vivek, i think it will be at PK in Cologne, thats Sept 23
at this point there are cameras around, but those that have them are keeping pretty tight due to NDA. They are saying the lenses are tiny, that the EVF will surprise us, and that the CDAF is better than we are used to. And finally that release is very soon

Im thinking Nokton 35/1.2 would be a knockout portrait lens

V

Vivek

Thanks, Riley. I will have to see if I can schedule a trip to Koeln.:)

This camera registry (plus the Live view) is by far the most exciting thing in the recent years.

Yup, Nokton 35/1.2 with a 2X crop! :p

Ben Rubinstein

Interview with Ogawa Haruo at dpreview.

Hi there - I couldn't find the interview on fourthirdsphoto.com, but here is one one dpreview.

Part 3 has some mention of making it compatable with m mount lenses which is interesting (I still find the concept of my 75 'cron as an f2 150mm to be rather exciting!).

Link to Dpreview thread

DCW: Have you thought of building a camera that uses the 4/3 sensor, but without interchangeable lenses?

OGAWA: We haven’t considered it in particular. Of course, there may be talk of using a 4/3 standard sensor in a compact camera, but we aren’t thinking of defining that kind of product as part of the M4/3 standard.

Oh dear, lets hope they don't miss the boat trying to build for the SLR crowd, waste of time, I really was looking forward to p&s sized cameras not mini SLR's.

Terry

Vivek, i think it will be at PK in Cologne, thats Sept 23
at this point there are cameras around, but those that have them are keeping pretty tight due to NDA. They are saying the lenses are tiny, that the EVF will surprise us, and that the CDAF is better than we are used to. And finally that release is very soon

Im thinking Nokton 35/1.2 would be a knockout portrait lens
This sounds very promising that releases are soon and not vaporware as some of the flamewars elsewhere have suggested. I did hear that we would be surprised by the advances in EVFs. This is shaping up to be a rather exciting fall.

etrigan63

Intriguing idea, but what would the adapter need in it to transmit info to the camera? M-lenses have no chips and cannot report aperture or focus data electronically. This would be a manual-only affair. I don't know if m4/3 will support that.

Martin S

Unfortunately M lenses would require stop down metering which is a pain. The manual focus issue my not be so important if the EVF is decent.

Martin

jonoslack

DCW: Have you thought of building a camera that uses the 4/3 sensor, but without interchangeable lenses?

OGAWA: We haven’t considered it in particular. Of course, there may be talk of using a 4/3 standard sensor in a compact camera, but we aren’t thinking of defining that kind of product as part of the M4/3 standard.

Oh dear, lets hope they don't miss the boat trying to build for the SLR crowd, waste of time, I really was looking forward to p&s sized cameras not mini SLR's.
Hi Ben
the point is the registry distance - i.e. very short (shorter than m mount). As I understand it, this means that you DO get your P&S sized camera (think G9), but with tiny interchangeable lenses (think CV 15).
It really isn't meant to be a mini SLR - by removing the mirror box and moving the lens back, it should give us the best of both worlds.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Intriguing idea, but what would the adapter need in it to transmit info to the camera? M-lenses have no chips and cannot report aperture or focus data electronically. This would be a manual-only affair. I don't know if m4/3 will support that.
It will be the same as with any other non-4/3 lens on 4/3, stop-down metering and manual focus. My most used lens on the E-1 was the OM 100mm f/2.8, no problems there. But as Martin mentioned, it all depends of how good the EVF is.

The last time I decided not to like EVFs, was after trying the Minolta A2, which was supposed to have one that was much better than anything else. A few years have passed since then, so I guess it's time to make another try, but I don't expect focusing at f/1.4 to be easy.

V

Vivek

Jorgen, I don't think these cams will have a view finder. It is only going to be the TFT scree on the back of the cameras. Use liveview for focusing/framing.

Stop down metering has never been a problem for me with any RF cams. It isn't going to be a problem here either.

Now, if they offer a swivel TFT screen...

jonoslack

Jorgen, I don't think these cams will have a view finder. It is only going to be the TFT scree on the back of the cameras. Use liveview for focusing/framing.

Stop down metering has never been a problem for me with any RF cams. It isn't going to be a problem here either.

Now, if they offer a swivel TFT screen...
Hi Vivek
I reckon you'll find some with an EVF, and some models with just an LCD, I suppose some kind of linked optical viewfinder isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

I'd think a swivel screen likely - although, having both the E3 and the D700, the live view seems possible without it, even at quite acute angles.

V

Vivek

Well, that just means more choices, Jono! :)

I can't wait to get my hands on one (anyone of them)!

Ben Rubinstein

In the interview the guy definatly mentions a viewfinder, can't say I'll be too sorry as long as they keep the camera size down.

Jono, I think you are being a bit optimistic, the touted figures for lens shrinkage are nowhere near pocket sized when attached to the camera. I so desperate for a decent p&s!

N

nei1

Dont Sigma already have one of these on sale?I supose not,whats the difference please?

Ben Rubinstein

The Sigma is a single focal length with a rather slow lens. The implementation is also rather weak by all accounts. I think we can expect swivel screens, anti-shake, interchangeable lenses, etc.

jonoslack

Jono, I think you are being a bit optimistic, the touted figures for lens shrinkage are nowhere near pocket sized when attached to the camera. I so desperate for a decent p&s!
Hi Ben
You may be right, but the contact I had who was at the launch used the words 'astonishingly small' - so here's hoping I'm right and not you!