The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New gig, four thirds micro

N

nei1

It "appears" to me that for once sigma is ahead of this particular game.Personally Ive not been impressed by the 4:3 sensor in either higher iso(nor the sigma)or more importantly for me dynamic range,where the foveon scores pretty well.If the fuji s5 sensor was available to be put into one of these creations then that might just be some thing.

Last edited:

Riley

I really cant agree about Sigma for the stated reasons, its higher iso performance is quite lacking, and DP1 has a lot less going for it in lens optimisation. What it does have is an image acuity i find quite likeable, even if somewhat spatially limited.

One bit of information that has surfaced, is that neither Panasonic or Olympus are stating who the partners are to this format, which is interesting b/se i dont see what the issue would be, unless negotiations are in tow with other companies. I wonder who it is....

Leica, who might have a kindred interest; Fuji, who are about to ditch dSLRs....

Another thing they wont answer is if a 'pro' version is in the offing. I read into this that there isnt, but there might be...

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another thing they wont answer is if a 'pro' version is in the offing. I read into this that there isnt, but there might be...
A "pro" version would be a smart move from Olympus, if they can afford to develop one. Except for the rather expensive M8, there are no compact pro cameras with interchangeable lenses, so such a camera would be absolutely alone in its niche.

jonoslack

A "pro" version would be a smart move from Olympus, if they can afford to develop one. Except for the rather expensive M8, there are no compact pro cameras with interchangeable lenses, so such a camera would be absolutely alone in its niche.
HI Jorgen
I completely agree - on the same principle as the E1 or E3 - weathersealed, metal body, weathersealed lenses. Small and 'nice'.
I think it would sell like hot cakes (would to me anyway).
If Leica haven't joined in this one, they must be bonkers!

Riley

yep, my mind adjusts to an almost 2/3 scale OM1, the wide and normal lenses would be tiny, roughly 2/3 OM or a bit less.

I dont think the market for a pro version would be great, but what it suggests is that the plainer cameras could/should feature an amount of manual control, perhaps not much different to early SLRs excepting a program function.

When i look at my Pentax 110 Auto cameras and associated lenses, which has a film size around the mFT sensor size, i can only wonder if the lenses are nearly as tiny, but i guess they need AF motors as well.

As an aside, Canon have responded that they wont be getting involved with the micro end of the industry.

Riley

Where did they say that Riley? Not that I'm surprised...
hi Ben
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

Canon gave an interesting interview in China this week (PCP)
(original page http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/320/320998.shtml )
We were kindly sent this English version (and notes)

Canon has no plans to join the Micro 4/3 industry at the moment. Canon has different sized sensors already, and users have different systems. Most of them don't want to invest for another new system.

Ben Rubinstein

Interesting but rather disappointing in a way, I think competition in this market could only have been a good thing, I would have loved all the manufacturers getting into a huge fight over the large sensor compact market, we could only have benefited.