The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

Godfrey

I also may get a review sample the next days.
OH, when you mentioned you might have the camera unit I thought you meant when they are shipping to the general public. Keep in touch, I'll have time on my hands until Sep 6 and some of the lenses I ordered are already here. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Got the GXR with the M-Module. They did not send me an EVF so I am a bit lost right now.

Not sure the peeking is that much help and right now I don't know how to turn off the zoom magnification without taking a photo. Hope Godfrey gets his soon to exchange ideas.

Right now using the Leica Elmarit-M 28mm/f2.8. Not sure I can remove all purple fringing (don't think it is CA) in LR3. Images look very sharp.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Got the GXR with the M-Module. They did not send me an EVF so I am a bit lost right now.

Not sure the peeking is that much help and right now I don't know how to turn off the zoom magnification without taking a photo. Hope Godfrey gets his soon to exchange ideas.

Right now using the Leica Elmarit-M 28mm/f2.8. Not sure I can remove all purple fringing (don't think it is CA) in LR3. Images look very sharp.
I am filled with envy - look forward to some images, Uwe. I just bought a Nex C3 and have had initial difficulty with the peaking, but I think this is just me - need practice!

Keith

scho

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for posting the dng file and profile from the A12 M mount module. This sample looks fine with no detectable CA and no edge smearing. Very encouraging for those of us anxiously awaiting for the module to ship. I'm looking forward to seeing more results and your review.

The dng file link was incomplete and should have been:
http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/x_out/1108GXRM_0010012.DNG

ustein

Contributing Editor
Peeking with the Summicron 50mm/f/2 works fine but not so helpful with 28mm. Seems that focussing with magnification is buggy as it cannot be shut off without taking a picture.

ISO800 seems to be fine. Will try higher ISO tomorrow.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Found out with some help how to use zoom focus assist:

1. Click ok: menu
2. Hold ok: Picture in picture zoom
3: Release
4: Hold ok again: Full LCD zoom
5: Release
5: Hold ok again: Normal view

Owen_Coors

Found out with some help how to use zoom focus assist:

1. Click ok: menu
2. Hold ok: Picture in picture zoom
3: Release
4: Hold ok again: Full LCD zoom
5: Release
5: Hold ok again: Normal view
Darn, I hate it already! Panasonic GF2 got MF-assist right, touch (press) anywhere on the scene shown on lcd and that part magnifies 7x. Need more, scroll the thumbwheel one notch to the right for 10x. When you're ready to exit MF-assist, half press shutter button. I wish that this M-module could do it that way, too.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Maybe it can be done more easy or improve.

I just report what I found out, this maybe not optimal at all.

Godfrey

What would be a reasonable priced Macro for M-Mount?
There aren't many macro lenses made for M-bayonet mount.

I bought one of my old favorites: a pre-AI Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 to fit with adapter to the GXR-M. Cost was $70 for the lens and $75 for the adapter. I'll use the adapter with my 85/1.8 as well.

Braeside

Maybe it can be done more easy or improve.

I just report what I found out, this maybe not optimal at all.
From another site, maybe this helps.

【Focus Assist and Enlarge All】
To make my point clear, let me emphasize that Focus Assist (Mode1and 2) and Enlarge All functions are carefully designed to blend naturally into the process of shooting real world photography.
e.g. When Enlarge All is assigned to a Fn key, you can quickly magnify the view with your thumb and focus with your left hand. Then, half-pressing the shutter button tentatively cancels the magnified view, letting you recompose the frame and shoot. If you release your index finger at this point, you can again obtain the magnified view for refocusing.
In short, you can easily switch from magnified view (and/or FA Mode 1 or 2) to the full composition or vise versa just by a tiny movement of the tip of your index finger, while eliminating the need to re-hold the camera body.
Also, when you move the target in Enlarge All, the camera memorizes the coordinates of the target in case you lift your finger after half-pressing the shutter. This is highly usable in shooting portrait and scenery alike.

Braeside

Uwe that sample DNG you posted (thanks), is it full size? I ask because in Aperture it is showing only at 3776 x 2830 pixels which is not 12M pixels.

Ah! It is shot in 4:3, if you use 3:2 you get 4288×2848.