The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

Godfrey

This link showed up on DPR today:

http://www.fotointern.ch/archiv/2011/08/04/ricoh-gxr-aps-c-modul-fur-leica-m-objektive/

Using Babel Fish to translate to English works but is a bit stilted. And my German is a bit rusty. If anyone here can translate it more fluently, that would be great.

The gist of it seems to be saying that the M-lens camera unit:

- supports both mechanical focal plane and electronic shutter operation, in different ranges of exposure times

- has two options for focus confirmation, at least one of which sounds like focus peaking

- has a sensor microlens array optimized for working with a wide range of RF lenses, and filtering options to choose from

- and should be available starting on September 9!

That puts it right on schedule. I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Owen_Coors

Thanks for posting, Godfrey. That really is good news, indeed! Now, I'm wondering one thing and that is, will the dynamic range from the M-module be anything near as good as Nex-5 or M9 and future Nex-7?

Godfrey

Thanks for posting, Godfrey. That really is good news, indeed! Now, I'm wondering one thing and that is, will the dynamic range from the M-module be anything near as good as Nex-5 or M9 and future Nex-7?
I can't speak to the NEX cameras for lack of direct personal experience using them, but I'm quite happy with the sensitivity/noise profile of the current Ricoh A12 camera units. I find even ISO 3200 (highest ISO Ricoh allows) to be good quality, with good dynamic range and a very satisfactory noise appearance, as well as good acutance. The M-lens module is using the same Sony sensor as its base so I expect DR and noise characteristics to be either the same or very close, one direction or the other. I don't shoot at such elevated ISO settings very often, but I have no problems whatever with ISO 800 and 1600 using these A12 camera units, and I do a lot of shooting in that range.

I'm delighted that it looks to be arriving on time with the announced availability date from February. The GXR camera has proven itself capable in ways far beyond what I was looking for when I got the itch to buy it: I have confidence that Ricoh will deliver a top notch piece of equipment.

The M9 ... Well, that's a totally different kind of camera in a completely different format, pixel resolution and price class. I want one of those too, regardless of how the GXR-M compares to it. ;-)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've preordered one. Roll on September!

You can count on the IQ to be very good. Regarding how the GXR with this will stack up against Nex, Fuji, Leica etc, don't forget that the GXR has many unique features of its own. I am intrigued by what the Nex 7 will look like, but I don't think the user interface will be anywhere near as complete and friendly as the Ricoh. I have a Sony A55 and you can't even store custom configurations in it. You'll never guess how many the Ricoh can store (its greater than 3)

Keith

Godfrey

My pre-order is in too. And I've got one of the Voigtländer lenses I want to use on it, and a couple of adapters for Pentax and Nikon mount too. All just sitting in the box waiting for the camera unit to be delivered.

Can't wait! :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
My pre-order is in too. And I've got one of the Voigtländer lenses I want to use on it, and a couple of adapters for Pentax and Nikon mount too. All just sitting in the box waiting for the camera unit to be delivered.

Can't wait! :)
Godfrey - where did you get your adapters?

Keith

Godfrey

DPReview tested one already

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11080510ricohmmountpreview.asp

So Godfrey must be delighted ;)

Great little thing, I am actually considering to get one myself and I said I would not be interested in the Ricoh GXR - never say never again :D
He is.

I went through the DPR review and it did a lot better than I did with my very rusty German translation of the Swiss site's feature summary.

Have to thank Keith for getting me interested in the GXR in the first place. This is become one very nice little camera system with the M-lens module netting access to a very wide range of interesting lenses! I'm delighted to see Ricoh's attention to detail in making this camera unit a very well thought out instrument for manual focus use with such a diverse range of lenses never designed for digital sensors.

... I love the fact that they're supplying a testing jig with the camera unit to ensure that whatever pathological lens you might want to use with it can be tested for mechanical compatibility without risking either the camera unit or the lens. That's a touch of class. :)

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I'm glad they left the IR filter off the sensor, and I'm also chuffed with the user selectable lens corrections that can be stored with lens name in the camera. I think I have at least a dozen m-mount lenses to try, and then with m42 and Nikon, a whole host more.

You're right Godfrey this is a class act, at half the price I was expecting. Maybe along with the acquisition of the Pentax brand and know-how this will start to get Ricoh on the map - they deserve it.

Keith

Irenaeus

WOW! This is really exciting!Any idea whether adapters can or have been made for Contax G lenses? If so, where do I go to find one?

douglasf13

This M module looks great, and, as I've mentioned before, I needed focus peaking in it, which it has. Right now, the main issue I'd have is with my Contax G lenses (which I could sell if need be,) so I'm going to see what the real specs of the NEX-7 are and go from there.

Godfrey

The M lens registration distance is too long to adapt Contax G lenses.
Yes, Contax G-System lenses need custom modification for M-bayonet mounting. It can be done but tends to be expensive and the focus drive is always problematic. It's most sensible for the Hologon 16mm lens, which is already a manual focus lens, but even there it is still a costly endeavor.

The NEX and Micro-FourThirds adapters for these lenses are probably the best way to go with them.

Irenaeus

Thanks, Douglas, it's as I'd halfway expected. Doesn't much help the GXR/Nex7/x100 question, does it, except that Ialready have the GXR and the Contax lenses, so it looks like Fuji's the odd man out , at least in the near term....

ustein

Contributing Editor
>A kind of Micro-M

yes, with better focusing support :). I want to see what this camera can do without ab AA filter. Very interesting news.

Godfrey

>A kind of Micro-M

yes, with better focusing support :). I want to see what this camera can do without ab AA filter. Very interesting news.
I'll let you know as soon as mine arrives. I talked to Andy at Popflash yesterday, they're expecting a first shipment in by about the middle of September and I'm #3 on the pre-order list.

You're local, we can get together for a walk and shoot if you are so inclined so you can try it out. :)