Site Sponsors

Thread: Possible Panasonic m4/3 (?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Possible Panasonic m4/3 (?)

http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Entwick...ra-der-Zukunft

Hope this is for real, love the sleek look!
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Possible Panasonic m4/3 (?)

Here's the article they got the pictures from ... looks like they originated on some Japanese forum.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    Regards,
    Joan

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty damn sexy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No viewfinder at all which is a shame unike what this site says. Holding a camera away from you is not good for image stability.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if this is for real, this is shaping up to be an exciting time for new cameras!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheap M8. Hmmm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    No viewfinder at all which is a shame unike what this site says. Holding a camera away from you is not good for image stability.
    Well, the hotshoe is correctly positioned for either OVF or EVF. If it had a built in viewfinder, what focal length would you have it set to? How would changing lenses impact that? I would be happy to add one in the hotshoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Here's the article they got the pictures from ... looks like they originated on some Japanese forum.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    Your original post's link says that this was found on the chinese site
    dpnet.com.cn
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well, the hotshoe is correctly positioned for either OVF or EVF. If it had a built in viewfinder, what focal length would you have it set to? How would changing lenses impact that? I would be happy to add one in the hotshoe.
    I thought the whole point was an EVF built in. The Oly representative in the interview on DPReview mentioned on another thread here championed just this feature. It could be the outward size as the usual tiny p&s ones but still show 100% view, etc. Personally I'd hate to have to kill pocketability with an external viewfinder...
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 25th August 2008 at 09:23.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Pretty damn sexy.
    Isn't it just
    I want one

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks very very svelte!!!!
    An OVF would be nice, esp on that is Parallax correcting ala' Leica or Hexar, but not a deal killer for me IMHO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had meant EVF, just changed my post to reflect that, not sure an OVF makes sense given the interchangeable lenses and the size and distortion inevitable with such a small unit if you were to put it in an already small camera. A decent EVF and Phil Askey says the EVF for the micro 4/3 will be suprisingly good, given that they can provide 100% view, full info and a live histogram, now that might be pretty damn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been studing the pics with Terry on the phone. And the display button on the bottom in the back would = the EV control. Also looks like scene recognition and 2 custom function setups . Also on the back dial it had MF which seems like Manual focus control selector. Has all the 4/3rds contacts so maybe any lens would work. Not sure on this. I also noticed W and T on the top deck to control wide and tele plus Square and looks like 16:9 aspect ratio's. 12 mpx to boot. This looks like a very interesting camera and something I would certainly maybe want. We will have to keep a eye on this one and also who may put this in there lineup besides Panasonic. Leica ?

asabet

If Panasonic puts out that camera, I think a Leica version is practically assured.

Post Thanks / Like

edit: they are saying its fake elsewhere

notice how the body shape relates to LC1 and L1, being round on one end and squarer on the other

interesting the livery is in 3 different styles
    a tan, black, and black and silver

I assume the rectangle on the end is a popup flash

it has a scene mode/
    manual/shutter priority/aperture priority and 2 'C# modes and a video mode

this will be it for Panasonic, lets see if Olympus give us the EVF
    Last edited by Riley; 25th August 2008 at 11:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Your original post's link says that this was found on the chinese site
    dpnet.com.cn
    Yes, but in the Chinese article they mentioned a Japanese forum where these pictures were circulating. Who knows who might have created them, but whoever did it did a nice job, lol. And it keeps the excitement building, so maybe it IS a deliberate leak from Panasonic.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not inconceivable that the pop up block could house an EVF - I'd prefer that to a clip on EVF.

It would be very easy to knock out a bogus mockup like this... nothing too dramatic there.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this out!

http://zuiko.exblog.jp/i0/

VERY nice indeed!
    Regards,
    Joan

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    VERY nice indeed!
    Very nice but can't be real. A 21mm pancake with optical image stabilization? An f/2.4 Summilux? I can't make out all the meaning via Google translate, but it's pretty clear that the guy who posted these is saying the CGI on Photoscala and DPNet is not real.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats a Leica 21mm f2.4, can't argue with a lens like that (much, f1.4 would have been nicer but hey its 21mm!) I want to know what the speed of the 12-42 is, it's tiny for what it is so it's probably slow but if it's a Leica design...

Very nice EVF attachment as well, very small form, just hope it clips on properly so it doesn't slide on and off when putting in a pocket.

Only thing we don't know is scale. Is this G9 sized or nearer M8? I never realised how huge the LC1 was till I saw it in a store!

Post Thanks / Like

great find Joan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do the ergonomics on the grip look a bit weak to you? Seems to be more for p&s sized holding than something bigger, here's to hoping! Thats a beautiful looking camera and with that tiny zoom and pancakes - wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well somebody is going to build something that resembles the M8 We will just have to see who and what comes but it is a popular look what we are seeing here. If it is small and can take different lenses than it maybe a huge seller. There is a BIG market for a M8 kind of camera with a lot lower cost. Will not be true RF but I still think a big seller. There are some nice 4/3rd lenses out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    Very nice but can't be real. A 21mm pancake with optical image stabilization? An f/2.4 Summilux? I can't make out all the meaning via Google translate, but it's pretty clear that the guy who posted these is saying the CGI on Photoscala and DPNet is not real.
    Yep, definitely someone's overactive imagination, especially with the Summilux, rats.
    I like the look of that EVF mock-up though, very sweet. If the real thing comes close to this, I'll be delighted.
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wasn't the image quality of the M8 one of it's biggest sellers, the chip, the lack of AA filter, the Leica M lenses? I wonder how many would buy a 4/3rds INSTEAD of an M8 as opposed to as a backup or a smaller pocket solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben you put half the price in there and some good lenses and you will be surprised. The M8 has great image quality no question but the cost of entry is not cheap and most hobbyist will look at there bank account first. can't blame them there not making money from this and even the D700 and a couple lenses will be far less than a M8. I love the M8 but for many folks (not necessarily our forum members per say ) do look at cost. As a Pro it is secondary if not a thought at all for some, we need it we buy it. Many hobbyist do not look at it like that. There driven by some magically pixel count and money. I have been on too many forums not see folks buying ONLY by the MPX of a camera. Scary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't forget 21 = 42 mm but I put this firmly in the fake category as it clearly says Summilux and 1:2.4 which are not compatible and I'm sure Leica wouldn't allow an f2.4 lens to be named a lux.

asabet

Definitely not real. The images on DPNet cited by Photoscala were taken from a Japanese blog post that clearly explains that they were made with a healthy dose of imagination based on the known specs. Here's the original post on August 20 and the Google translation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't forget 21 = 42 mm but I put this firmly in the fake category as it clearly says Summilux and 1:2.4 which are not compatible and I'm sure Leica wouldn't allow an f2.4 lens to be named a lux.
    The blog owner says that they are dreams of one of his members. Pity...
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well we all got to discuss what we like and don't like and what looks like it would work or not. So perhaps all discussions on the net will be picked up the R&D groups at Panny and Oly and good can come of this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well we all got to discuss what we like and don't like and what looks like it would work or not. So perhaps all discussions on the net will be picked up the R&D groups at Panny and Oly and good can come of this.
    Hi Terry
    Nice idea . . . . but as I understand it, the thing is probably piling up in warehouses in the far east ready to be shipped!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wasn't the image quality of the M8 one of it's biggest sellers, the chip, the lack of AA filter, the Leica M lenses? I wonder how many would buy a 4/3rds INSTEAD of an M8 as opposed to as a backup or a smaller pocket solution?
    Hi Ben
    You're right about the M8 of course.
    However, 4/3 has got a lot going for it - the existing lenses are just great - you don't have to think; you can shoot at any focal length from wide open to full telephoto, and you'll still get sharp images without vignetting or soft corners. Sure, you don't get the 'wow' factor of an M8 file . . . but you don't get some of the other stuff either.

In most cases we make compromises, and 4/3 offers a lot of 'good' for the current 'bad' of poor high ISO.

Mind you, whether m4/3 will be the same, is a different issue, but I suspect it will - the short flange distance making it even easier to design great small lenses.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry
    Nice idea . . . . but as I understand it, the thing is probably piling up in warehouses in the far east ready to be shipped!
    OK Mark II

Post Thanks / Like

I like it and want one or two. It's like a GRD on steroids, with interchangeable lenses. I don't even care about a VF, since I got pretty used to composing on the LCD with the GX100/GRD2. I just hope it focuses as fast or faster than a Ricoh. Good find Joan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    ... Good find Joan.
    Can't take credit, earlier today Terry pointed me to a thread on DPR that started me looking, and suggested I post that first link here. After that I just Googled to see where the original came from and stumbled on the other pictures.

Jono, I hope you're right about SOMETHING being ready to ship right after Photokina. My curiosity is killing me.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They could start by offering the designer a job: are you listening Mr Olypana?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted an analysis as well. The images are CGi for sure, but they model all of the features mentioned in the Micro Four Thirds announcement. I hope they use the newer sensors from the latest Oly SLRs. That would give this unit some imaging clout. The 21mm lens should translate to 42mm if the Four Thirds crop factor is still in effect here. I hope Leica buys into this for their rumored "compact" digital rangefinder. If Nikon doesn't produce their rumored digital rangefinder, I may sell my M8 kit and get this as a backup to my D300. For that matter, toss in the D300 in the process and get a D700 and this as a backup.

I wonder if zooms will be offered as well?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn, Damn, Damn! I thought that little zoom looked great! I shoot street with a 5D and 50mm relying on the huge amount of resolution to save me the size of a zoom should I need to crop. This camera would have given me sufficient resolution with the zoom. Heck you don't need a huge amount for street, it's more the image which counts.

This image was shot with my 5D and 50mm, it's a 5 megapixel image after the crop but the kids are sharp and it good for an 18X12". If I could have zoomed and got similar image quality (given the smaller chip and noise, etc) then I would have been very happy for the size of that thing!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I posted an analysis as well. The images are CGi for sure, but they model all of the features mentioned in the Micro Four Thirds announcement. I hope they use the newer sensors from the latest Oly SLRs. That would give this unit some imaging clout. The 21mm lens should translate to 42mm if the Four Thirds crop factor is still in effect here. I hope Leica buys into this for their rumored "compact" digital rangefinder. If Nikon doesn't produce their rumored digital rangefinder, I may sell my M8 kit and get this as a backup to my D300. For that matter, toss in the D300 in the process and get a D700 and this as a backup.

I wonder if zooms will be offered as well?
    HI Carlos
    I hope they have a new generation of sensor a bit better than those in the latest SLR's - with a bit better low noise characteristic and a lighter AA filter.

21mm WILL be 42mm, there's no change with mFT for the conversion ratio. A little worrying if the lens is showing IS, as the Olympus cameras have it in the body, which would be the best bet here as well (if you are going to use the existing 4/3 telephotos).

No question there will be zooms - whether there will be primes is a bigger question - Olympus have not been very forthcoming with prime lenses, and Panasonic even less so.

I'd expect the first camera to be fairly consumer grade, with a couple of cheap zoom lenses - maybe something equivalent to the current 'kit' lenses:
    14-42 and 40-150 (i.e. 28-84 and 80-300) but of very diminutive proportions.

I'd also expect a 'superzoom' very shortly - something equivalent to 28-300 (it's clearly what's selling the 'bridge' cameras, why should this be different).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Carlos
    I'd also expect a 'superzoom' very shortly - something equivalent to 28-300 (it's clearly what's selling the 'bridge' cameras, why should this be different).
    Yeuch!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeuch!

I quite agree - having said that, the current cheap plastic Olympus zooms are . . . . . really good! the 70-300 (140-600) is some kind of miracle plastic.

Whatever
    I think there's hope for high quality bodies and tiny prime lenses - but I'm almost certain that in the first place they're going to be approaching the 93% market which currently buys compacts and bridge cameras, not the 7% which buys dSLR's. Why wouldn't they?

I would have thought that it would be a really obvious step for Leica to be involved, m mount adaptors are possible, and you could certainly build it around some kind of a rangefinder - very exciting . . . . but, from what I hear they are having nothing to do with it

So, expect a plastic fantastic to start with (or, at best, something with the build quality of the Panasonic LX-3).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, I had no doubt that they would sell to the bridge crowd and from a marketing point of view it makes sense. It was a personal 'Yeuch'.

Thing is that as Oly and Panasonic have announced this together can we at least hope for more than one camera body to start off with?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, I had no doubt that they would sell to the bridge crowd and from a marketing point of view it makes sense. It was a personal 'Yeuch'.

Thing is that as Oly and Panasonic have announced this together can we at least hope for more than one camera body to start off with?
    Let's hope so.
    Something build like the E1, with weatherseals, silent, manual controls would be soooo sweet.

I think there IS hope - Panasonic also understand about the wants of serious photographers - the LX series testify to this.

Leica would be the other option for a dream body - but I think we may be out of luck there.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I quite agree - having said that, the current cheap plastic Olympus zooms are . . . . . really good! the 70-300 (140-600) is some kind of miracle plastic.

Whatever
    I think there's hope for high quality bodies and tiny prime lenses - but I'm almost certain that in the first place they're going to be approaching the 93% market which currently buys compacts and bridge cameras, not the 7% which buys dSLR's. Why wouldn't they?

I would have thought that it would be a really obvious step for Leica to be involved, m mount adaptors are possible, and you could certainly build it around some kind of a rangefinder - very exciting . . . . but, from what I hear they are having nothing to do with it

So, expect a plastic fantastic to start with (or, at best, something with the build quality of the Panasonic LX-3).
    Dr. Kauffman said he was sticking with Kodak sensors. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dr. Kauffman said he was sticking with Kodak sensors. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
    Well, if he's doing that, then he can kiss goodbye to the D-Lux4 then, as it has a panasonic sensor.

I'm afraid the rumours are right, but it's so sad, it seems to me that you could build a camera with a proper optical viewfinder with accurate electronic framelines for the lenses (even zooms), spots for point of focus - it could all be sooooo fab.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's always hope for the rumored Nikon DRF. Latest rumors have it M-mount, 6-7Mpx FF with Optical VF. I can buy into the 6-7Mpx FF as it would be easier to make microlenses for it (not-so-micro microlenses) but M-mount and optical VF would preclude a lot of the technical wizardry that goes behind the scenes in a Nikon camera. Unless the rumored DRF is an homage system to the classic Nikon S rangefinders, but that would truly relegate it to the RF crowd (a vocal, passionate, but ultimately tiny subset of the buying public).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    There's always hope for the rumored Nikon DRF. Latest rumors have it M-mount, 6-7Mpx FF with Optical VF. I can buy into the 6-7Mpx FF as it would be easier to make microlenses for it (not-so-micro microlenses) but M-mount and optical VF would preclude a lot of the technical wizardry that goes behind the scenes in a Nikon camera. Unless the rumored DRF is an homage system to the classic Nikon S rangefinders, but that would truly relegate it to the RF crowd (a vocal, passionate, but ultimately tiny subset of the buying public).
    I'll believe it when I see it - Nikon making cameras for other people to sell lenses doesn't sound very likely . . . and 6-7mp isn't going to set the world on fire (mind you, I guess it would have fantastic low light characteristics).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    The blog owner says that they are dreams of one of his members. Pity...
    A fake for sure, but Ohhhhh - what a nice one!

Would really love to see these mini RFs coming out of the Micro FT alliance to look like that

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll believe it when I see it - Nikon making cameras for other people to sell lenses doesn't sound very likely . . . and 6-7mp isn't going to set the world on fire (mind you, I guess it would have fantastic low light characteristics).
    OK, so in other words, you agree with me. I can't see Nikon doing this and not making the lenses. Besides, M-lenses = no electronics or autofocus, and that would narrow the target audience too much for Nikon's tastes. IMHO, Nikon would have to be planning a response to any credible threat from the μ4/3 camp and be aiming at the same demographic and maybe beyond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at the pictures it makes me wish Ricoh would make one, or at least design the interface. I'd still buy one, but I think they'd be harder to use then the GRD or GXx00.