The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

W

Wozza604

Here's a shot of last night's sunset here in Vancouver. I've cropped it to 16:9 ratio and the image is slightly soft because I had it resting on a drinking fountain instead of a tripod.

ggibson

Very nice! I love the starbursts. I've been meaning to do some night photography with my DP1x.

Some recent photos from New York:

W

Wozza604

That's a very nice set Graham! The black and white shots have a very classic film feel to them.

W

Wozza604

A double rainbow shot from my window at work. An example of weird sigma colours...

W

Wozza604

Here's a file a really had to work to get the noise out of and it was shot at only iso400... Sometimes the DP2 can be super frustrating.

W

Wozza604

Very nice, looks like an awesome location! You'd never know that was stitched together from 6 frames, well done!

dirojas

Thanks, it is wonderful place. This is an active volcano, by the way.

The images were stitched in photoshop using the photomerge command, nothing fantsy. There is a small issue with the stich at the upper left side, where the clouds collide with the mountain at the background, but I am OK with this.

I don´t know if you have heard about the moais. These big stone statues were raised by the natives and are all over eastern island. Here is a couple of pictures of them. The second one is a 3 picture panorama, this time without errors.

The last one is about the people at the island. I really like my DP2 for zone focused work, this is ¨from the hip¨, as people say. Regards

bbodine9

DP1 Small landscape

We lack mountains and seascapes here in Missouri but Shaw Nature Reserve gives us a nice venue for small landscapes

W

Wozza604

bbodine9, beautiful shot... it's amazing how much detail is in that foliage

dirojas

bbodine9, that´s a wonderful image, I like that I can almost smell the humidity of the scene.

Here are a couple more pictures of Eastern Island, I am almost addicted to the colors of this little DP2. I found Sigma Photo Pro delivers the full potential of the files but some color adjustments are needed afterwards in Photoshop.

Regards, Diego

W

Wozza604

bbodine9, that´s a wonderful image, I like that I can almost smell the humidity of the scene.

Here are a couple more pictures of Eastern Island, I am almost addicted to the colors of this little DP2. I found Sigma Photo Pro delivers the full potential of the files but some color adjustments are needed afterwards in Photoshop.

Regards, Diego

Diego, I really like the colours in your shots, especially the last one, very film-like.

So what do you guys think about the new Sigma DP1M, DP2M and the SD1 price drop?

dirojas

@Wozza604 thank you very much, about the colors I think the DP2 sensor has a special hability to capture subtle shifts and tones. Combine that with the funky WB settings in SPP and sometimes magic just happens. All these shots have the color adjusted (tone and saturation) in photoshop afterwards, though.

I am looking forward to see some hands on preview at least of the new DPM´s. Files from the SD1 are wonderful, a lot of resolution and at least 1 stop better in noise, which would become 2 taking account the difference in resolution. I really like the size and the fact lenses are not retractable anymore. I have concerns on the operational speed, start up and buffering (is it going to be faster than my DP2?), for me the DP2 autofocus is fine. What I think is a serious design flaw is getting rid of the focus wheel, I use it all the time on my DP2. I know there is a focus ring on the lens, but without markings. They have really missed the opportunity to provide a focusing ring/scale like the M lenses.

W

Wozza604

Dirojas, I agree about the focus ring. I understand why there's no focus scale as it's likely focus-by-wire like the x100, which is terrible. I thought the focus wheel worked quite nicely on the DP2 and like you, I thought the distance markings where quite useful. I'm sure there will be a distance/dof scale on the screen when in manual focus mode, but that doesn't really help those of us who like to turn the monitor off and use an optical finder instead. I'm also disappointed there's no provision for an EVF.