Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

Wozza604

Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

Let's see your images, sigma fans! Recently I've been shooting more and more with my DP2 and keep getting blown away by the image detail and especially by black and white images. So let's post some images that really show off the character of the Foveon sensor!

Here, I'll start...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

Two from the Sigma DP1x.

The second is a single image HDR, which the Sigma files respond well to (depending on your tastes )

Keith

Wozza604

Great shots Keith! You can really pull details out of the sky with Sigma cameras, can't you?

Wozza604

Here's another shot of my GF (my usual victim) with the DP2

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wozza, your portraits are very nice.

I would like to see some SD1 images - can't afford one myself

Here is a B & W from the DP1x

Keith

Wozza604

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Wozza, your portraits are very nice.

I would like to see some SD1 images - can't afford one myself

Here is a B & W from the DP1x

Keith
    Yeah, it would be really nice to see some SD1 images on here, I agree. I haven't seen much online, aside from the few on Rytterfalk's site, which are not particularly compelling. Personally, I just can't justify getting yet another camera, especially at that price point and especially since I'd have to buy Sigma glass to go with it.

Wozza604

Here's a couple more portraits...

I missed focus a bit on this one, and I think Lightroom added more sharpening when it was output because it looks way over-sharpened to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful images in this thread! I just got my DP1x a month ago, and I'm still putting it through its paces. I picked up the AML-1 close-up lens, but it still doesn't let you get very close with the '1s wide lens. It worked really well on my Panasonic m4/3 20mm lens though, allowing me to get incredibly close.

Anyways, here are some shots!

Wozza604

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Wonderful images in this thread! I just got my DP1x a month ago, and I'm still putting it through its paces. I picked up the AML-1 close-up lens, but it still doesn't let you get very close with the '1s wide lens. It worked really well on my Panasonic m4/3 20mm lens though, allowing me to get incredibly close.

Wow, love this shot!

Wozza604

Here's a shot with the DP2 and closeup filter

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful set of images, Graham. Isn't this a great camera for landscapes?

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I agree, it's wonderful for the outdoors

Glad to see there are some other Foveon fans on GetDPI!

Wozza604

Thank you. I agree, it's wonderful for the outdoors

Glad to see there are some other Foveon fans on GetDPI!
    Ditto!
    I've been thinking about picking up a DP1x to complement my DP2, as I do a lot of landscape... It's either that or pick up an SD14 or 15, still on the fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza604 View Post
    Ditto!
    I've been thinking about picking up a DP1x to complement my DP2, as I do a lot of landscape... It's either that or pick up an SD14 or 15, still on the fence.
    I was lucky and scored a slightly used one off of craigslist for a good price. I had been wanting to sample a Foveon camera for so long, I had to buy it. I wish the lens would focus closer, but it does a good job with landscapes, that is for sure!

There are some reports that the Analog Front End induces banding at high ISOs, a problem that the DP1/DP1s did not have. I was keen to shoot some B&W for fun, but my GF1 is better suited for low light anyways.

There's also kind of a "bug" with the way that the DP1x uses color modes. In anything other than Neutral, it will overexpose the image by +0.7-1.0 EV, cutting off highlights. Up until now, I've shot everything in Standard (RAW)... I'm looking forward to getting that extra dynamic range!
    Last edited by ggibson; 28th September 2011 at 11:23.

Wozza604

Hmm, that's interesting, I didn't know about the banding issue, though even my D700 and M9 have banding issues if you underexpose the shadows. I wonder what they did that changed that?

So, would you recommend I get a DP1s instead of the "x"?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I should retract what I said about the AFE/"banding issue". It's still an open question in my mind. I'm just going by what another user has said in a thread on DPReview. It could be just related to the color mode behavior--where the banding is simply because the DP1x is pushing the exposure by +0.7 EV and exacerbating the noise that is present in each shot. Dunno, I'll have to play with some RAW files. I'm talking about ISO 1600+ though, it's not an aspect that I give considerable weight.

I would still choose the DP1x over the DP1s or original due to the speed, controls, and color accuracy though (costs aside).

Wozza604

Hmm, okay I think I'll lean towards the DP2x then. It's really hard to find info online about the difference between the different generations, other than people talking about improved focus speed.

I did read a little about the blown highlight issue with different colour modes, but that seems to be an issue with Photo Pro 5, rather than the camera itself because I've noticed the same thing at times. Honestly though, I do very basic processing in PP5 just to get my white balance and recover highlights/shadows, then I do everything else in Lightroom. I wish Lightroom handled sigma files better but it seems to wash out colours, and lose a lot of detail in the images.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma DP1s. 1/60s f9 ISO100

Keith

Wozza604

Nice, I like the fall colours Keith!

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wozza, I take the Sigma wherever I go, no matter what other camera I am shooting. I can't wait to see what colors I get when I get the images into the computer, they are amazing. I think the microdetail helps an awful lot with the look of the image, and it also lets you shoot a slower speeds because it tend to disguise shake. This one was taken at 1/50s

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Window light portrait DP2 style

Wozza604

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Window light portrait DP2 style
    Wow, that portrait looks great! The foveon does black and white really well, especially for portraits.

Wozza604

Here's a shot of last night's sunset here in Vancouver. I've cropped it to 16:9 ratio and the image is slightly soft because I had it resting on a drinking fountain instead of a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I love the starbursts. I've been meaning to do some night photography with my DP1x.

Some recent photos from New York:

Wozza604

That's a very nice set Graham! The black and white shots have a very classic film feel to them.

Wozza604

A double rainbow shot from my window at work. An example of weird sigma colours...

Wozza604

Here's a shot from the weekend

Wozza604

Here's a file a really had to work to get the noise out of and it was shot at only iso400... Sometimes the DP2 can be super frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Great colors!

Wozza604

Here's a goofy black and white one, shot at iso 1600

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma DP2, 6 frames panorama, Eastern Island

Wozza604

Very nice, looks like an awesome location! You'd never know that was stitched together from 6 frames, well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it is wonderful place. This is an active volcano, by the way.

The images were stitched in photoshop using the photomerge command, nothing fantsy. There is a small issue with the stich at the upper left side, where the clouds collide with the mountain at the background, but I am OK with this.

I don´t know if you have heard about the moais. These big stone statues were raised by the natives and are all over eastern island. Here is a couple of pictures of them. The second one is a 3 picture panorama, this time without errors.

The last one is about the people at the island. I really like my DP2 for zone focused work, this is ¨from the hip¨, as people say. Regards

My Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Wozza604

WOW, the silhouette one is AWESOME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP1 Small landscape

We lack mountains and seascapes here in Missouri but Shaw Nature Reserve gives us a nice venue for small landscapes

Wozza604

bbodine9, beautiful shot... it's amazing how much detail is in that foliage

Post Thanks / Like

bbodine9, that´s a wonderful image, I like that I can almost smell the humidity of the scene.

Here are a couple more pictures of Eastern Island, I am almost addicted to the colors of this little DP2. I found Sigma Photo Pro delivers the full potential of the files but some color adjustments are needed afterwards in Photoshop.

Regards, Diego

Wozza604

Quote Originally Posted by dirojas View Post
    bbodine9, that´s a wonderful image, I like that I can almost smell the humidity of the scene.

Here are a couple more pictures of Eastern Island, I am almost addicted to the colors of this little DP2. I found Sigma Photo Pro delivers the full potential of the files but some color adjustments are needed afterwards in Photoshop.

Regards, Diego

Diego, I really like the colours in your shots, especially the last one, very film-like.

So what do you guys think about the new Sigma DP1M, DP2M and the SD1 price drop?

Post Thanks / Like

@Wozza604 thank you very much, about the colors I think the DP2 sensor has a special hability to capture subtle shifts and tones. Combine that with the funky WB settings in SPP and sometimes magic just happens. All these shots have the color adjusted (tone and saturation) in photoshop afterwards, though.

I am looking forward to see some hands on preview at least of the new DPM´s. Files from the SD1 are wonderful, a lot of resolution and at least 1 stop better in noise, which would become 2 taking account the difference in resolution. I really like the size and the fact lenses are not retractable anymore. I have concerns on the operational speed, start up and buffering (is it going to be faster than my DP2?), for me the DP2 autofocus is fine. What I think is a serious design flaw is getting rid of the focus wheel, I use it all the time on my DP2. I know there is a focus ring on the lens, but without markings. They have really missed the opportunity to provide a focusing ring/scale like the M lenses.

Wozza604

Dirojas, I agree about the focus ring. I understand why there's no focus scale as it's likely focus-by-wire like the x100, which is terrible. I thought the focus wheel worked quite nicely on the DP2 and like you, I thought the distance markings where quite useful. I'm sure there will be a distance/dof scale on the screen when in manual focus mode, but that doesn't really help those of us who like to turn the monitor off and use an optical finder instead. I'm also disappointed there's no provision for an EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Wozza604, here is a link showing the DP2M operation under manual focus, it is on the video at the back of the page:

Novedades Sigma CP+2012 - DSLR Magazine

Looks quite workable I have to say... but I still miss the wheel for setting a distance without looking the LCD.

Wozza604

dirojas, thanks for the link! The manual focus looks MUCH better than the X100's, but I'll miss the wheel as well. There's no pop-up flash either, but I never used the one on my DP2 anyways.

Why is it that when Fuji, Nikon, Canon or anybody else announce a new camera it's available for pre-order the same day on Amazon, Adorama, etc. but never with Sigma? I can't even find a M.S.R.P.! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Wozza604

Here's a video of the new DP2 Merill auto-focusing. It still looks pretty slow.

DP2 Merill Auto Focusing - YouTube

Wozza604

Here's a sunset from my office window at work.

SDIM0199 by Wozza604, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Nice view at your office window. Wonderful shades in the picture.

Here is a couple recent pictures of my DP2... Just to keep this thread alive while waiting for the Merrill series. Regards

Post Thanks / Like

SIGMA SD15 .. € 1498 minus € 1119 = € 379

SIGMA SD15 .. € 1498 minus € 1119 = € 379

nice price ... € 379 ... SD15 incl 18-50 OS

SD15 SLR Kamera + 18-50mm 2,8-4,5 DC OS HSM Objektiv NEU | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there!
    I just had the chance to test the new SD1. Using an SD14 happily for many years now, I was very impressed by the build and output. Here's the link to the samples:
    Sigma SD1 samples - a set on Flickr
    Best,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

Late Summer Scenery von oliverleschke auf Flickr

DP1s from 1,5 years ago.

Bought and sold a couple of DPs and am again looking around, if I can find a cheap DP2x...
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

GAS ... has finally taken its toll ... the SD1 Merrill found its way to me

Just a few steps out of the door I captured this "hibiscus" with the 24-70mm 2.8 ... it shows some "hyperactive" bokeh

Attachment 62034

Regards,
    Helge
    Last edited by da_eltsch; 10th August 2012 at 11:50.