The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

W

Wozza604

Let's see your images, sigma fans! Recently I've been shooting more and more with my DP2 and keep getting blown away by the image detail and especially by black and white images. So let's post some images that really show off the character of the Foveon sensor!

Here, I'll start...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Two from the Sigma DP1x.

The second is a single image HDR, which the Sigma files respond well to (depending on your tastes :bugeyes:)

Keith

W

Wozza604

Great shots Keith! You can really pull details out of the sky with Sigma cameras, can't you?

W

Wozza604

Here's another shot of my GF (my usual victim) with the DP2

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Wozza, your portraits are very nice.

I would like to see some SD1 images - can't afford one myself :mad:

Here is a B & W from the DP1x

Keith

W

Wozza604

Wozza, your portraits are very nice.

I would like to see some SD1 images - can't afford one myself :mad:

Here is a B & W from the DP1x

Keith
Yeah, it would be really nice to see some SD1 images on here, I agree. I haven't seen much online, aside from the few on Rytterfalk's site, which are not particularly compelling. Personally, I just can't justify getting yet another camera, especially at that price point and especially since I'd have to buy Sigma glass to go with it.

W

Wozza604

Here's a couple more portraits...

I missed focus a bit on this one, and I think Lightroom added more sharpening when it was output because it looks way over-sharpened to me.

ggibson

Wonderful images in this thread! I just got my DP1x a month ago, and I'm still putting it through its paces. I picked up the AML-1 close-up lens, but it still doesn't let you get very close with the '1s wide lens. It worked really well on my Panasonic m4/3 20mm lens though, allowing me to get incredibly close.

Anyways, here are some shots!

W

Wozza604

Wonderful images in this thread! I just got my DP1x a month ago, and I'm still putting it through its paces. I picked up the AML-1 close-up lens, but it still doesn't let you get very close with the '1s wide lens. It worked really well on my Panasonic m4/3 20mm lens though, allowing me to get incredibly close.

Wow, love this shot!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Beautiful set of images, Graham. Isn't this a great camera for landscapes?

Keith

ggibson

Thank you. I agree, it's wonderful for the outdoors :D

Glad to see there are some other Foveon fans on GetDPI!

W

Wozza604

Thank you. I agree, it's wonderful for the outdoors :D

Glad to see there are some other Foveon fans on GetDPI!
Ditto!
I've been thinking about picking up a DP1x to complement my DP2, as I do a lot of landscape... It's either that or pick up an SD14 or 15, still on the fence.

ggibson

Ditto!
I've been thinking about picking up a DP1x to complement my DP2, as I do a lot of landscape... It's either that or pick up an SD14 or 15, still on the fence.
I was lucky and scored a slightly used one off of craigslist for a good price. I had been wanting to sample a Foveon camera for so long, I had to buy it. I wish the lens would focus closer, but it does a good job with landscapes, that is for sure!

There are some reports that the Analog Front End induces banding at high ISOs, a problem that the DP1/DP1s did not have. I was keen to shoot some B&W for fun, but my GF1 is better suited for low light anyways.

There's also kind of a "bug" with the way that the DP1x uses color modes. In anything other than Neutral, it will overexpose the image by +0.7-1.0 EV, cutting off highlights. Up until now, I've shot everything in Standard (RAW)... I'm looking forward to getting that extra dynamic range!

Last edited:
W

Wozza604

Hmm, that's interesting, I didn't know about the banding issue, though even my D700 and M9 have banding issues if you underexpose the shadows. I wonder what they did that changed that?

So, would you recommend I get a DP1s instead of the "x"?

ggibson

Actually, I should retract what I said about the AFE/"banding issue". It's still an open question in my mind. I'm just going by what another user has said in a thread on DPReview. It could be just related to the color mode behavior--where the banding is simply because the DP1x is pushing the exposure by +0.7 EV and exacerbating the noise that is present in each shot. Dunno, I'll have to play with some RAW files. I'm talking about ISO 1600+ though, it's not an aspect that I give considerable weight.

I would still choose the DP1x over the DP1s or original due to the speed, controls, and color accuracy though (costs aside).

W

Wozza604

Hmm, okay I think I'll lean towards the DP2x then. It's really hard to find info online about the difference between the different generations, other than people talking about improved focus speed.

I did read a little about the blown highlight issue with different colour modes, but that seems to be an issue with Photo Pro 5, rather than the camera itself because I've noticed the same thing at times. Honestly though, I do very basic processing in PP5 just to get my white balance and recover highlights/shadows, then I do everything else in Lightroom. I wish Lightroom handled sigma files better but it seems to wash out colours, and lose a lot of detail in the images.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Wozza, I take the Sigma wherever I go, no matter what other camera I am shooting. I can't wait to see what colors I get when I get the images into the computer, they are amazing. I think the microdetail helps an awful lot with the look of the image, and it also lets you shoot a slower speeds because it tend to disguise shake. This one was taken at 1/50s

Keith