The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on the Pana Leica 14-150 lens?

A

asabet

I'm thinking of picking one of these up to pair with the E-420. Is the performance in the wide part of the zoom as good as the 14-42 kit lens? Other comments or samples would be great!

Joan

Go for it, Amin! And if you get tired of it, you can sell it to me (for a very good price, of course,:ROTFL:) I'd love to have that combo.

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin,

I know that Jono briefly had a 14-150, and sold it... so obviously it isn't for everyone, but I rate mine very highly. It's the central part of any shooting kit I take out - due to the flexibility.

If you're looking for something which performs better than the prime lens on your DP1, the 12-60 would be a better option (and it sits beautifully on the E-420) - but the 14-150 is almost as sharp and gives you that fantastic 28-300mm EFL range - with IS, but minus the weather sealing.

If you want flexibility with Leica colour go for the 14-150, if you want ultimate sharpness and performance, go for the ZD 12-60. Both are much more serious lenses than your plastic kit lens - you get what you pay for :)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

HI Amin
As Brian said, I bought this and sold it.
But I was using it on an E3, and I also shoot a lot between 24 and 28mm, so for my purposes, and considering the fact that the E3 already has image stabilisation, it had 3 disadvantages:
1. it wasn't as wide as the 12-60
2. it wasn't weathersealed
3. it wasn't as good for close up as the 12-60

so I sold it.
On the other hand, I did think it performed remarkably well, and if I had an E420 and wasn't fussed about the wide end, then it's a great buy.

A

asabet

Thanks Brian and Jono. It's an appealing lens, but I don't want to buy rashly, even though it might make for a good deal for Joan :). Brian, I'm not sure what you mean by more serious than the plastic kit lens. I know it's got a more serious price :). If it has better edge to edge sharpness from 14-42mm, then I am impressed.

Weather sealing is just about last on my priority list. Is the image stabilization on the 14-150 pretty effective? How much barrel distortion at 14mm?

Brian Mosley

Much more serious investment, much higher build quality, much sharper, much better colour...

The 14-42 is a lovely, lightweight compact zoom lens and superb value for money - but as your own tests have confirmed against the DP1, it's not as sharp as the prime lens on the DP1.

Kind Regards

Brian