The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - brief comparision with CV Skopar 21

Godfrey

My friend and cohort (and host while I'm visiting here on the Isle of Man) has a Sony NEX 5 which he's been enjoying with an assortment of older Leitz lenses. So yesterday I loaned him my CV Skopar 21mm f/4 P for a bit of shooting.

Afterwards we looked at the results using the raw files opened in Lightroom 3.5. No formal test methodology was used to try to get the same scene with both cameras, but it was pretty obvious at a glance that the NEX 5 produces rather severe corner to center color shifting with this lens, along with edge and corner smearing, where the GXR-M results are sharp corner to corner and show very little discernible color shifting on similar (open grey sky) exposures.

I have no way of knowing how different the NEX 5 is from the NEX 5N or NEX 7 in this regard, of course. All I can say is that I'm very satisfied with what I'm seeing out of the Ricoh GXR-M using any of the lenses I've tried with it so far.

Paul has a lovely 1930s vintage Leitz Elmar 5.0cm f/3.5, uncoated, along with its matched close up lens that I want to try on the GXR-M. Photos I've seen made with it have that signature beautiful rendering quality of old Leica lenses ... :)

usw,
Godfrey