The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a900 ads leaked

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
David, I hear what you're saying. Problem is that sometimes, resolution is the only thing that counts, and if that is what my clients want, that is what I have to deliver.

The S5 is decided anyway, but I'm on my way out of town again, so it's still on wait :(

D

ddk

David, I hear what you're saying. Problem is that sometimes, resolution is the only thing that counts, and if that is what my clients want, that is what I have to deliver.
(
I understand, I was in that industry for most of my life and am very familiar with the characters in there, the kodak slr/n is really great for that. It has fantastic color and great resolution and you can get them for a song these days.

Last edited:
A

asabet

I've played a bit now with the Sony RAW files from Imaging Resource. They open with Raw Photo Processor, which is free/donation-supported (Mac only).

The thing about comparing Sony RAW (ARW) to Nikon RAW (NEF) is that we have very limited choices for converting the ARW files (just Raw Therapee for Windows or RPP for Mac since there is nowhere to download Sony's app), whereas we have tons of options for Nikon. Capture NX2 does a remarkable job of eliminating chroma noise during RAW conversion. I don't think anyone is doing justice to the Sony sensor in these preliminary comparisons.

Sony hasn't done themselves any favors by using lousy in-camera high ISO JPEG conversions in this camera.

Here is an Imaging Resource ISO 6400 A900 in-camera JPEG that looks awful. I took the corresponding RAW (ARW) file, processed it using Raw Photo Developer (Mac only), used Noise Ninja (sacrificing much of the detail especially in the red fabrics), and then did a quick levels/curves adjustment to try to roughly match the in-camera JPEG brightness. This is the result. With a RAW processor that I've actually used more than once, I'm sure I could do much better.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Amin:

It is amazing to me how similar your processed version of the 6400 shot looks to drum-scanned color negative emulsions, and it doesn't look digital at all...

This could be way cool!

A

asabet

Hi Jack,

Can't say that I've ever seen a drum-scanned anything, but I agree that the processed RAW looks pretty natural when viewed from a reasonable distance.

I think we'll be seeing plenty of good high ISO work from the A900. That said, I'm sure the Canon 5D replacement will offer much better JPEG processing than this. If the Canon is 21 megapixels and $3K or less, the A900 will have stiff competition.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Are these raws or jpegs
The Sony image was converted from RAW. Sony apparently has a major problem with their in-camera jpeg-converter. Strange, since they do have some experience in this area, more than anyone else probably.

All the debacle around the conversions (and there's a lot going on across the forums), and all the different versions of this particular image, indicates to me that the sensor is actually ok. It's a question of finding a work-flow that optimizes the final results.