The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR 24-85mm APSC Module coming!

Godfrey

I'm sure it will be a fine camera unit, and it's good to hear that Ricoh is adding to the GXR system once more.

However, I have just about zero interest in "yet another slow mid-range-zoom".

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Ahhh . . . . .well, I want one. May have to put my S10 up for sale though. Then again, these sensors will draw very differently. Think I'll just get a bigger camera bag :deadhorse:

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

I'm sure it will be a fine camera unit, and it's good to hear that Ricoh is adding to the GXR system once more.

However, I have just about zero interest in "yet another slow mid-range-zoom".
The rumor is also it is a 2.8 zoom over the whole range and 16 mp APS.
If that is true it will not be that slow.

It will make the S10 a little superfluous.

Michiel

Godfrey

The rumor is also it is a 2.8 zoom over the whole range and 16 mp APS.
If that is true it will not be that slow.

It will make the S10 a little superfluous.

Michiel
I believe the rumor is incorrect. Given the size in the photo, it will be at most an f/3.5-5.6 lens.

The S10 will still have a purpose, though: it will have more DoF at a given field of view, better for macro work.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm not really a zoomie guy tho' I must admit the S10 has found a way to my vision. It's a true grit machine. This new lens appeals to me due to the great improvement in IQ.
2.8 3.5 makes no difference to me at all. It's the glass that will prove the lens. I have high hopes that it will fill the void for my 28 & 50 in both directions.
I have faith in Ricoh to produce a quality product but I won't sell the S10 because it produces a specialized image for me.

Godfrey

Here is a nice picture - looks good. Wonder if they will leave the AA filter off that sensor? I guess it will be the same generation as in the Nex cameras.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ricoh-gxr-zoom-module-unveiled-29-11-2011/
Something's fishy.
The bezel on that lens says "f=4.9-52.5mm".
- 4.9mm focal length times a 1.5x crop factor for APS-C does NOT equal 24mm EFL.
- 52.5:4.9 is approximately an 11x (10.7:1 ratio) zoom, not a 3.54:1 ratio zoom that a 24-85mm EFL zoom range implies.

A 24-85mm EFL zoom lens for 16x24mm format (APS-C) should say "f=16-56.5" approximately.

If this is an accurate photograph of the actual camera unit, we're looking at something on the order of a 2/3" sensor (about 8.8x6.6 mm format) with an ultra-zoom lens. In other words, something more comparable to a Pentax Q or Nikon V1 with an ultra zoom than a NEX 5n with a modest zoom ratio lens.

I'm perplexed. I think the image is of the P10 camera unit, not the upcoming APS-C camera unit.

Agnius

Godfrey,

I think you are correct - it is NOT a picture of upcoming unit, just "a picture" of lens unit for illustration sake. Ricoh chart shows a "ghost" image as well - so we will have to wait and see.

But how about "upgraded" GXR-M module? I know, it just came out and there is not enough of them around yet, but I really like mine for 100-800 ISO, after that noise becomes quite evident. So upgrading it to 16 megapixel sensor with lower noise characteristics would be a no brainer to me. Or even a full frame one... ;)

Too many toys. I should stop now, but I don't have to. Isn't life grand!

Godfrey

Godfrey,

I think you are correct - it is NOT a picture of upcoming unit, just "a picture" of lens unit for illustration sake. Ricoh chart shows a "ghost" image as well - so we will have to wait and see.

But how about "upgraded" GXR-M module? I know, it just came out and there is not enough of them around yet, but I really like mine for 100-800 ISO, after that noise becomes quite evident. So upgrading it to 16 megapixel sensor with lower noise characteristics would be a no brainer to me. Or even a full frame one... ;)

Too many toys. I should stop now, but I don't have to. Isn't life grand!
Given the sales success and demand for the A12 Camera Unit so far, I would say that Ricoh will likely create an updated model at some point in the future. Their biggest problem at present is producing enough of them to fill the demand, with all the calamities that have struck component manufacturers this year, not whether to update them to a new sensor.

A new sensor will mean another large development investment, no matter how you cut it. You can't simply drop a new sensor into the existing box. They did quite a lot of excellent tuning work with the A12 sensor for the GXR-M ... that would have to be done again for an "A16" unit.

I'm not so sensitive to noise as others, I suppose, as I find the image signature at ISO 1600 and even ISO 3200 quite acceptable with the present GXR-M. I'm often amazed at how good it is, truthfully, and how much DR it retains even at these very high sensitivities. I shoot even with f/4 lenses in quite low light with no problems. But then, I've never been one who sought utterly textureless photographs ... I like pleasing grain and patterning as it abstracts a photograph from being a more literal documentarian recording.

I have too many toys. A great simplification is what I've been seeking, and I've gone through a period now of acquiring more in the process of finding out how to do with less. I've got a clear handle on what I want now and there's a lot of what I've ended up with in the closet headed for the door as soon as I get the time to put together the for sale listings and post them out. I intend to end up with less and concentrate my energies on using the gear to produce photos rather than constantly looking for the next magical piece of gear. ;-)

"Equipment is transitory, Photographs endure."

L

Landshark

I would prefer they do a fast "21 or 24" and fast "75 or 90" than a zoom

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I'm with you here, Godfrey: the S10 is a noisy little bugger with serious barrel distortion at the wide end—and if the new A16 zoom module really is ƒ2.8, then it will be a big lens. The S10 is small, and I see it as being the P&S module in the GXR range of modules. Sometimes these aspects (small, deep DOF) can be useful (as in your macro example).

If this slightly wider range zoom does come out, and if it's within the size ranges of the 50 module and the S10, it will have to be relatively slow, so of no interest to me personally.

All this is said while waiting for my M-module to arrive... and playing with the S10 in the meantime to learn the interface. My: what intelligence in the design of this little thing.

As I wrote over on the other forum, if/when the A16 M module is reality, I will buy it and keep the A12 M one—compared to what I've spent on FF over the last few years, a trifle.