The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with GXR in-built flash

I've just received my new GXR with M-module and I'm experiencing a strange behaviour which I do not know if it is due to an user error or othewise.
Using the internal flash with the EVF-2 mounted, after each shot I get a completely black screen and viewfinder even if the camera is still on and usable for further (blind) shots.
Without the viewfinder mounted everything seems to be normal.
Is anybody facing a similar experience?

gDallasK

My camera doesn't do this (often).

I've just received my new GXR with M-module and I'm experiencing a strange behaviour which I do not know if it is due to an user error or othewise.
Using the internal flash with the EVF-2 mounted, after each shot I get a completely black screen and viewfinder even if the camera is still on and usable for further (blind) shots.
Without the viewfinder mounted everything seems to be normal.
Is anybody facing a similar experience?
I tried replicating your problem with my GXR / A12-M which has the most recent firmware in both body and adapter. The first time I tried it I got the same result as you did. Blank EVF and LCD - but the shutter still worked. I then switched the camera off and back on again to restore the screen image and tried a couple of shots using the EVF but not the flash. They worked fine. I then tried the flash and EVF together again to see if the problem recurred - as I expected.

But it didn't!!! Apart from the first time I tried it I have been unable to duplicate your problem.

My test was with the camera switched to Aperture priority and the battery approximately 50% charged. I use an Eye-fi SD card with my GXR which is not the fastest, and probably increase the load on the battery as it transmits the image to my computer so my initial thought that the problem might be the amount of current drawn is probably wrong.

I'm mystified as to the cause of this but will keep an eye open for it happening again.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff for your feedback.
With my set up the behavior I described can be replicated at any time (only once for some reason it didn't happen) with fresh batteries, with any card and with both the modules I have,(50mm macro end M mount).
I suspect that there is something wrong at a the interface between EVF and camera body in my own combo but unfortunately I do not have other samples to confirm my theory.
Other users on the Ricoh Forum told me that their set up is working perfectly using the EVF and the in-built flash at the same time, so I decided to send back my combo to the dealer for a replacement.
Hopefully next week I will get it back.