The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR: M Adapters and lenses?

sagar

While I am waiting in a que for M Mount, I was searching for "cheap" M mount lenses or adapters to use other lenses. At the end of the day I am scratching my head and totally lost and clue less :(

Can any one please suggest me m mount lenses or combination of adapter and lens(es) in the range of ~300ish Max. I grew up using AF lenses and this is the first time I will be using manual focusing. My interests are people, street and macro.

Godfrey

I find that a three lens kit with focal lengths about 21, 35-40 and 90 mm does extremely well with the GXR-M.

My primary lenses in this range are all M-bayonet mount that don't require adaptation. The Voigtländer and used M-Rokkor lenses (from the Minolta CL and CLE models) are generally excellent quality and suit the size and weight of the GXR well. I am using specifically the Skopar 21mm f/4, Nokton and M-Rokkor 40mm f/1.4 and f/2 respectively, and M-Rokkor 90mm f/4.

You can adapt most SLR mount lenses ... I have RJ (jinfinance on Ebay), Kipon, and Rayqual brand mount adapters for Pentax M42, Nikon F, and Leica R. Adapter for Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica, Pentax K, and Canon FD are readily available. Those three brands names are listed in order from least expensive to better quality. There are several others (cheaper off-brands and Novoflex at the top end) but these three do the job well and are good quality. So far my favorite are the Rayqual.

I'd recommend starting with a two lens kit of about 20-25mm and 35-50mm focal lengths. Shoot with them for a while... Whether you use M-bayonet lenses or adapt SLR lenses is really a matter of cost and your comfort. From there you can sort out what works best and what additional lenses to acquire.

Y.B.Hudson III

my favorites: super wide-heliar 15mm f4.5 (ver.1 needs screw mount adapter), SummiLuX 24mm (not cheaP), Summilux 35mm pre asp. (nice glow wide open), Jupiter 3 KMZ 50mm, and it's inexpensive brother jupiter 8...(signatures with character, with out the focusing headaches they exhibit with rangefinders; relatively cheap, need screw mount adpt.), Noctilux...nothing like a 75mm equivalent lens @ f/1:)

sagar

Godfrey, Hudson, Thank you so much! That's very helpful indeed.

I am thinking of picking up couple of Canon FD/Nikon AIS lenses to start with. Any suggestions there? I already have A12 28mm so looking for 35-50 FL

Godfrey

Godfrey, Hudson, Thank you so much! That's very helpful indeed.

I am thinking of picking up couple of Canon FD/Nikon AIS lenses to start with. Any suggestions there? I already have A12 28mm so looking for 35-50 FL
Depends on what you want. The SLR lenses are generally speaking much bulkier and heavier than the RF lenses and, while often a little less expensive, you also need to buy the adapters. And why focus on just SLR lenses?

A clean, EX+ condition Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI-S runs about $350, add a quality adapter and you're at $400+ ... excellent performer. A Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 PII runs $400 or so brand new and it's half the size and weight of the Nikkor; the little Skopar is a superb performer.

Of course you can get some deals. I found a very clean pre-AI Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 with matched extension tube for $70, add adapter and it was about $150 total. Similarly an excellent pre-AI Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 for $275. And not only Nikkor and Canon FD are worth looking at: there are some very good lenses from Pentax (both M42 and K mount), Contax/Zeiss, Olympus OM, etc.

It's hard to make specific recommendations—there are too many good choices. Pick one or two and work with them.