Site Sponsors

Thread: GXR: M Adapters and lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

GXR: M Adapters and lenses?

While I am waiting in a que for M Mount, I was searching for "cheap" M mount lenses or adapters to use other lenses. At the end of the day I am scratching my head and totally lost and clue less

Can any one please suggest me m mount lenses or combination of adapter and lens(es) in the range of ~300ish Max. I grew up using AF lenses and this is the first time I will be using manual focusing. My interests are people, street and macro.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GXR: M Adapters and lenses?

I find that a three lens kit with focal lengths about 21, 35-40 and 90 mm does extremely well with the GXR-M.

My primary lenses in this range are all M-bayonet mount that don't require adaptation. The Voigtländer and used M-Rokkor lenses (from the Minolta CL and CLE models) are generally excellent quality and suit the size and weight of the GXR well. I am using specifically the Skopar 21mm f/4, Nokton and M-Rokkor 40mm f/1.4 and f/2 respectively, and M-Rokkor 90mm f/4.

You can adapt most SLR mount lenses ... I have RJ (jinfinance on Ebay), Kipon, and Rayqual brand mount adapters for Pentax M42, Nikon F, and Leica R. Adapter for Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica, Pentax K, and Canon FD are readily available. Those three brands names are listed in order from least expensive to better quality. There are several others (cheaper off-brands and Novoflex at the top end) but these three do the job well and are good quality. So far my favorite are the Rayqual.

I'd recommend starting with a two lens kit of about 20-25mm and 35-50mm focal lengths. Shoot with them for a while... Whether you use M-bayonet lenses or adapt SLR lenses is really a matter of cost and your comfort. From there you can sort out what works best and what additional lenses to acquire.

Post Thanks / Like

my favorites: super wide-heliar 15mm f4.5 (ver.1 needs screw mount adapter), SummiLuX 24mm (not cheaP), Summilux 35mm pre asp. (nice glow wide open), Jupiter 3 KMZ 50mm, and it's inexpensive brother jupiter 8...(signatures with character, with out the focusing headaches they exhibit with rangefinders; relatively cheap, need screw mount adpt.), Noctilux...nothing like a 75mm equivalent lens @ f/1

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, Hudson, Thank you so much! That's very helpful indeed.

I am thinking of picking up couple of Canon FD/Nikon AIS lenses to start with. Any suggestions there? I already have A12 28mm so looking for 35-50 FL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sagar View Post
    Godfrey, Hudson, Thank you so much! That's very helpful indeed.

I am thinking of picking up couple of Canon FD/Nikon AIS lenses to start with. Any suggestions there? I already have A12 28mm so looking for 35-50 FL
    Depends on what you want. The SLR lenses are generally speaking much bulkier and heavier than the RF lenses and, while often a little less expensive, you also need to buy the adapters. And why focus on just SLR lenses?

A clean, EX+ condition Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI-S runs about $350, add a quality adapter and you're at $400+ ... excellent performer. A Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 PII runs $400 or so brand new and it's half the size and weight of the Nikkor; the little Skopar is a superb performer.

Of course you can get some deals. I found a very clean pre-AI Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 with matched extension tube for $70, add adapter and it was about $150 total. Similarly an excellent pre-AI Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 for $275. And not only Nikkor and Canon FD are worth looking at: there are some very good lenses from Pentax (both M42 and K mount), Contax/Zeiss, Olympus OM, etc.

It's hard to make specific recommendations—there are too many good choices. Pick one or two and work with them.